All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fish Oil capsules
      #342577 - 02/24/09 08:36 PM
recaj2

Reged: 02/24/09
Loc: California

Hello I have extreme difficulty digesting oils of any kinds, even healthy olive oil.If I eat food with any oils, I have a severe reaction (explosive diarrhea). However, I know that olive oil is good for me. Are fish oil capsules a safe alternative to use (which means no diarrhea) or should I abandon all hope of incorporating healthy oils into my diet? I also have concerns because my hair and skin are dry due to lack of oils as well. Thanks in advance for your anticipated replies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fish Oil capsules new
      #342585 - 02/25/09 06:17 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I take them, but then again, I'm a C. I don't think they effect my IBS one way or the other.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#342588 - 02/25/09 06:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am IBS-D. I find I cannot tolerate fish oil or other omega 3 oil supplements. I have no difficulties using small amounts of olive oil when cooking.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342617 - 02/25/09 08:03 PM
recaj2

Reged: 02/24/09
Loc: California

thank you for your input. I was afraid that was true. have a great weekend. Joan

#342638 - 02/26/09 01:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree with Syl that taking supplements or extra oil such as fish oil or flax oil is tough on the gut. You can use some oils but you still have to have an appropriate amount of FF calories in the gut. You can use olive oil in cooking, flax oil for dressing and eat the omega 3 fishes. The IBS diet is so healthy in itself that not being able to take fish oil isn't detrimental.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342817 - 03/04/09 12:11 PM
som

Reged: 03/19/08

hi i have been wondering same thing cos my joints have started to get stiff and i think it could be due to the lack of oil in my diet i am ibs d aswell. i have never had a problem like this before but i recently restricted my diet so i think it must be linked i'm only 25 and i'm very active. so i'm as lost as you !!

#343901 - 03/31/09 03:23 PM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

My triglycerides are way up (245!!!!) for the first time in my life, and my doctor has suggested fish oil capsules. I'm waiting to start since I had the worst IBS attack in years last week (primarily IBS-D), and I'll see her on Thursday. I'm thinking I may be able to take one with a low fat meal when I add Tummy Fibers. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

#343903 - 03/31/09 04:37 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I take 2 fish (Krill) oil soft gels every day, along with 3 Evening Primose Oil soft gels with no problems at all. But, that's me.

#358256 - 04/30/10 05:06 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

I am IBS-D. I find I cannot tolerate fish oil or other omega 3 oil supplements. I have no difficulties using small amounts of olive oil when cooking.

Syl...what happens when you take fish oil capsules?
For my diet, I need a certain amount of fat, and this supplement could help.

Does it really pose a problem for IBS-C?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358257 - 04/30/10 06:49 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

I take fish oil every day and I am predominantly IBS C. Doesn't seem to affect me at all.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4660 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review