All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Intro & Getting Started
      #342479 - 02/22/09 07:13 AM
janiebegood

Reged: 02/21/09
Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Hi! I found this wonderful place through a Google search for "IBS diet" and have spent the past couple of days reading, reading, reading. I've ordered the Starter Kit, and I'm really encouraged to find that I'm not alone.

After a decade of chronic constipation and more recent episodes of month-long bloating, tightness, and pants that don't fit, I got referred to a female gastroenterologist who my gyno doc assurmed me would take my complaints seriously. Over the past two weeks, I've had a GB ultrasound, nuclear medicine test for gall bladder function, an endoscopy (or whatever they call it now) and a colonoscopy.

Everything's "normal."

The doctor wrote on the discharge sheet after the endo/colo: "Spastic colon. Possible IBS. Fiber. Manage stress. Resume normal diet."

Gee, thanks, doc.

I spent a couple of days eating my regular diet and cramping/bloating, and realized I needed to take charge of this myself. No one knows my body's sensitivities as well as I do, and I'm sure doctors see patients in far worse straits than me every day, so what's big and important to me just...isn't...to them.

I haven't pooped much since the colonoscopy on Wednesday, but I'm not too surprised by that. I'm back on my typical 17G Miralax and twice daily two capsules of Citrucel and I'm sure stuff will move when it's ready.

I went out a Chinese restaurant last night, and thanks to this message board, I knew to order steamed chicken & vegetables and white rice. My gut is "quieter" today than it's been in a long time!

I would love to hear from folks who are trying to feed their families a regular diet, while not triggering their own episodes. We've basically given up our favorite foods -- manicotti, spaghetti & meatballs, pizza, chili -- because they all make me feel so rotten. But how much chicken and rice can a person eat?

I'm going to the store in a bit to get the ingredients to make the Anti-Depressant Brownies to take to a friend's house for dinner tonight, along with the leftover steamed chicken and rice from last night, in case she's making something I can't eat. Fortunately, she's a good enough friend that she won't mind me bringing my own dinner!

And just so this post isn't all the "me hour", here's a food that I've found is safe, convenient, and delicious: Van's Wheat Free Gluten Free mini waffles. They're dairy and egg free, too, made from brown rice flour. I find them in the organic freezer case at my regular grocery store and have them for breakfast with about a TBSP of syrup.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Intro & Getting Started new
      #342484 - 02/22/09 12:51 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Welcome!! I am fairly new too,found the site and started in Sept.08. I can tell you this that this site has been a godsend to me. Everyone here understands what you are going through and everyone is helpful to each other. As far as cooking for a family, you dont have to change all that much, except for eating red meat,fried and dairy foods and all other triggers like caffeine,chocolate(although I eat lots of recipes with chocolate). Buy and use for yourself, soy milk,tofutti cheeses,smart balance spread lite,egg beaters,egg whites for recipes and lite white or italian bread for sandwiches. Your family wont even know theres soy milk in recipes. I make pasta for the family and mock pasta sauce for me cuz I have gerds and dont do well with tomato sauce and Im 100% italian, but the mock sauce is good. I eat rice,pasta,potatoes,yams,couscous with spray butter(doesnt bother me) You will adjust and your family will too, but will be happy you are well and not in pain. Make sure you NEVER let your stomach be empty, snack every couple of hours. I make lots of the breads, they're great and the family loves everything I make, so try it and you'll see!!! Good Luck and be well!! Take care of yourself!!!!

#342485 - 02/22/09 12:58 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Me again. Forgot to mention that I drink tons of chamomile tea with honey (helps me belch)AND I switched over to Heathers tummy fiber. I have IBS-C also and its helped me tremendously. Again,good luck and keep reinventing.

#342486 - 02/22/09 01:12 PM
janiebegood

Reged: 02/21/09
Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Thank you, linisue54!

I had already dropped almost all dairy and we've been making the switch to ground turkey from ground beef. I had a bunch of urinary tract issues for awhile there, too, so I'm accustomed to making spaghetti sauce for the family and just using enough myself to make the spaghetti the barest peachy color!

I made the Antidepressant Brownies this afternoon -- the first time I can recall every baking anything from scratch -- and they are absolutely delicious. If I can have those, then I don't think I'll feel deprived!

I used the snack list to get a few things to nibble on like fat-free saltines, graham crackers, puffin cereal, etc. And I filled a gallon jug with filtered water and I'm letting it stand to room temperature. I've been drinking ice cold water, so maybe even that little step will help.

I'm upping my Citrucel dose for the next few days, to see if I can get back in balance after the colonoscopy -- the prep involved four Dulcolax pills and 14 doses of Miralax, so no wonder my intestines are going, "WTF???" at me.

I appreciate your response. It really is reassuring to know there are others like me out there!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 583 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1309

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review