All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
empty stomach + symptoms
      #342320 - 02/18/09 10:03 PM
kwyles

Reged: 02/06/09
Loc: South Australia

Recently had such a busy (I was in the emergency dept of my hospital) day at work that I wasn't able to have my morning break, meaning after my breakfast at 6am I didn't eat again til lunch at 12.30. By about 10 I was having cramps and was feeling really bloated, then had a couple of bouts of diarrhea to boot. The only thing I'd had was water and a cup of tea.

Does anybody else suffer from symptoms on an empty stomach? Any suggestions about what I might be able to do to stave this off?

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: empty stomach + symptoms new
      #342321 - 02/18/09 10:19 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Hi kwyles,

If I don't eat for any length of time I have bad issues ... mostly cramping and then when I do finally eat it runs right through me.

Keep some snack materials (pretzels are good, or graham crackers) handy and munch on them as you work. That should make a big difference.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#342322 - 02/18/09 11:05 PM
kwyles

Unfortunately I work in a hospital, so I'm not really able to keep food around all the time. It's kind of frowned upon. But I hadn't actually thought about pretzels, that's a really good idea.

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

#342418 - 02/20/09 10:32 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Another quickie to have on hand are small bagels - they SF really helps me and is filling. If I go hours w/o eating I also have cramping and gas trapped in my upper torso...

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#342420 - 02/21/09 03:57 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Was your tea regular or herbal? If it had caffeine in it, that may have contributed to your symptoms as well.

--------------------
IBS-C

#342444 - 02/21/09 12:51 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I get the same way, if I don't eat every couple of hours I get crampy and gassy also light headed..I know that the rest of my day is going to be a hard one...I know in different situations it is hard to eat I work at a school but if you can sneak in a pretsel or nutri grain bar or something carb..(guess it is kind of hard in an Er)it would work ...good luck!!

#342447 - 02/21/09 01:19 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Im in the same boat as you. You gotta take care of yourself!! Explain to your superisor that you need to eat something small every couple of hours and then eat. I make alot of the delicious breads in the book, they go down quickly and really satisfy.

#342462 - 02/21/09 06:19 PM
kwyles

Nutrigrain bars are good, are they? I hadn't even thought of them. I might have to go get some, they'd be great to have on hand for a quick snack.

--------------------
---
kat
IBS-A + gas and bloating

they have HFCS new
      #342467 - 02/21/09 07:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

but Nature Valley bars do not.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342603 - 02/25/09 03:16 PM
som

Reged: 03/19/08

i only relised that an empty stomach hurts me too.i always thought it was just the ibs.i work with clients all day long so i take quick bites of bread mite try pretzels now!but i think u should say it to your boss mine was very understanding good luck

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1639 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2816

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review