All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Easier on the stomach?
      #342305 - 02/18/09 04:53 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

My finance and I are trying to figure out where we are going to go on our honeymoon next summer. We are debating between Hawaii and Italy. There are a number of factors that will ultimately go into our decision but I was wondering about it from an IBS standpoint. I have never been to Hawaii, but I have been to Italy. I did not have IBS at the time though. I know Italian food can be hard, but at the same time there is always white bread and plain pasta (I can do tomato sauce, even with a little olive oil I do okay). I don't know much about Hawaii, but I assume there is some similar food because it is the US. I usually have trouble when I'm traveling anyway because of the plane so I'm not looking for perfection- just which one might be better? ANy ideas? Anyone been to either? Thanks!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Easier on the stomach? new
      #342307 - 02/18/09 04:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IMHO Italy would be torture. The Pacific rim has great fruit and rice based meals with no dairy. I always lean toward Asian food for safety when eating out.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342308 - 02/18/09 05:35 PM
Kteach84

I completely agree- I love all Asian foods and I can always find something safe. So, Hawaii would have a lot of Asian inspired meals?...Interesting Thanks Little Minnie- you are always so helpful!

--------------------

#342331 - 02/19/09 07:17 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I went to Hawaii last fall and had no trouble with finding safe food. Japanese is my particular favorite and most of them are a la carte. I just ordered some white rice and grilled shrimp or chicken - I was good to go!

One other suggestion. We got a room with a kitchenette. There are ABC stores (small convenience/grocery type stores) every 2 feet in Waikiki and we ate a lot of meals in our room - cereal, sandwiches, soup, etc. (I brought some rice milk with me). This saves on costs and makes it easier to accomodate the gut.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#342359 - 02/19/09 04:34 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

I agree with the rest and I am 100% Italian and cant tolerate the food(although I grew up on it). Italy is beautiful if you have your heart set on it you could do the plain pasta and grilled fish and chicken and the fresh bread would save you as well. Well, good luck!!

#342364 - 02/19/09 05:53 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I was in Italy two years ago and I can't honestly recall any where that wasn't Italian food. It was either pasta or pizza. haiwai sounds a better be food wise.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

just for the record new
      #342365 - 02/19/09 06:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

When you don't factor in eating for IBS, I would choose Italy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342403 - 02/20/09 05:27 PM
Kteach84

Thanks everyone! We are leaning towards Hawaii now. I love Italy too but I am starting to get excited about Hawaii I know I'll be more relaxed if I know I can eat normal things out to dinner without having 1000 specifications. When I was in San Fran this past summer my brother made a nickname for the meals I would get that were done wrong (aka not how I asked) because it happened so often. I'm sure it will happen in Hawaii too but at least there won't be a language barrier to blame!
Thanks again!

--------------------

#342419 - 02/21/09 03:56 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

so...what's the nickname?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: just for the record new
      #342428 - 02/21/09 08:31 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Course if you went to Italy there'd be the truly terrifying experience of driving there. lol

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#342451 - 02/21/09 01:59 PM
Kteach84

He called it the "California Crabcake." It was sort of an inside joke from when we went to Ireland a few years ago and a waitress brought my sister everything except what she asked for with her pancakes and he called it the Irish Pancake so when we went to California he changed it. Everytime someone brought me something lathered in butter and oil even though I said PLAIN he would say, you got crab caked. He's in high school, who knows!
I will say though by the end of the trip my finance and my mom were basically ordering for me explaining IN DETAIL that I could NOT and we repeat NOT have butter so do not put it in because they were so annoyed with no one listening to me and they said I was too nice haha.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3035 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review