All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
On fat content of foods
      #342236 - 02/17/09 06:00 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

Ok I know it was already answered but I can't find it and I haven't gotten Heather's books yet, sigh. How do you figure out what the fat content is in a food so you make sure it isn't over the 25% mark?

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: On fat content of foods new
      #342255 - 02/17/09 10:47 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

If you know the amount of calories from fat, divide that by the total calories.

fat calories/total calories = % fat

I think it is Little Minnie who knows how to figure out the amount of calories from fat if you only know how many grams of fat ...

--------------------
~*Amber*~

25% by mass or calories? new
      #342282 - 02/18/09 09:23 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

I know slicksgirl said this, but are you sure the 25% or under fat is by calories?
Would it work by mass, e.g. if a 28 g serving has 7 g or less, its ok

Re: On fat content of foods new
      #342309 - 02/18/09 05:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It isn't easy to figure out the fat percentage on a whole meal. For snacks and breakfast cereal and the like it will say fat from calories right on the box. For meals you have to guess by gaining experience. Start with a lot of low fat components to a meal until you can start to gauge your tolerance. Then gradually add more fat to a meal. When you have a fattier meat like salmon just have non fat sides. When you have a pretty low fat meat like chicken breast you can have sides with a little more fat.
25% is a good target point but even that is different in different people and will change when you have an episode followed by a more sensitive stomach. When you are stable even 40% fat could be tolerated now and again, from my experience.
To figure out fat percentage you have to know fat grams and calories in the whole thing you eat at one time. Multiply the fat grams by 9 (there are 9 calories per gram of fat) to get the calories from fat then divide that into the total calories for the percentage.
Example:
15 grams of fat x9 =135. If the meal was 500 calories and you divide 135 into it you get 27% which may be okay.
If you have a non fat dessert of 100 calories right after then the percentage is 22.5%.
15x9=135 divided into 600=22.5.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2082 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1009

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review