All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soluable fiber THEN insoluable fiber
      #342130 - 02/15/09 07:55 AM
capple1

Reged: 02/08/09

I'm wondering how many grams of soluable fiber need to be eaten before eating the foods with insoluable fiber - to prevent any "episodes". This would be for each meal and snack.

Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soluable fiber THEN insoluable fiber new
      #342133 - 02/15/09 09:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

FDA recommends about 25-30 grams of dietary fiber per day. Some cultures eat more than 60 grams per day. You can read more about it on this web page. Assuming you eat three meals per day then you need about 8-10 grams of dietary fiber per meal. You need a bit less per meal if you have a couple of snacks with fiber.

I am IBS-D so I try to eat foods that are 50% or less insoluble fiber. If you are IBS-C then you may need more insoluble (but not cereal bran) and you may need more total dietary fiber today. Just for reference a boiled carrot has about 1.5 grams, a small banana about 2.5 grams and a serving of regular oatmeal about 6 grams (including 2 grams from resistant starch) of dietary fiber.

Fiber won't prevent an episode - however, it will less the likelihood of one happening.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342135 - 02/15/09 09:57 AM
capple1

Reged: 02/08/09

Thank you so much! That really helps!

Chrissy

depends new
      #342152 - 02/15/09 04:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It isn't a mathematic equation. Some foods are very starchy and work great as a SF buffer but their recordable grams of fiber are low- like white rice. It is a great buffer for some IF veggies but if you look at the nutrition facts there isn't much fiber there. Also it really depends on the person. If you are prone to D it is best to be extra safe with IF and do as Heather says, cook, chop, puree or whatever so it is easier to handle.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342177 - 02/16/09 10:25 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I don't think of it in terms of "grams" of soluble fiber or insoluble fiber when composing my plate. I tend to focus more on serving sizes or portions.

You ultimately need to figure out the equation that works for you and your situation. Also please know that it is variable based on what's happening with your life and your IBS. For example, I've gone back to school and that's stressful and it's reflected in my IBS-D, so I've got more SF on my plate that when in a low stress phase (i.e. my plate is 50 percent SF). I re-adjust calories so I don't gain weight. Also, for me, I find that I need a good SF start to the day as a sort of foundation, so I'm careful with berries in my smoothie and tend to go more for SF foods like mango and banana and choose applesauce for snacks. I'll make a curried carrot or sweet potato soup to go with lunch and avoid the heavy-bean ones when I'm at high attack risk.

I guess it's just hard to put a specific number on the SF/IF thing as everyone is different (thank goodness). Experiment with different serving size/portion ratios and see how it goes for you.

Wind,
IBS-D, stable.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5809 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review