All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Still Limted. Any advice?
      #342060 - 02/13/09 10:22 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I everyone I need some advice my food options are still limted. I am still limted on if celery blueberrys green beans tomatoes lettuce cream corn strawberrys.They only safe fruit is peaches. I would like to add if back in (differant if) but everytime I do I get a horiible stomach ache or bad gas or gas cramps any advice on were I should go from here or what food I should try next maybe I just need to start with smaller portions of them? Please any advice would be great I am willing to try. The same old food and dishes are getting boring. I am trying to even add spices back into me some chili powder here and there and some taco seasoning so I am trying I just need a little push please! Thanks!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Still Limted. Any advice? new
      #342074 - 02/13/09 12:56 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

Some people mash their vegetables and that seems to make them more tolerable for them. I have had a hard time adding IF as well. I have to just add a little at a time and one IF at a time so that I know what hurts and what doesn't. When i add a new one I start with a small amount at first and build up to a normal portion size which has seemed to help my body adjust to it alot better.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Re: Still Limted. Any advice? new
      #342084 - 02/13/09 04:11 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Butterbean makes a good point: are you adding one thing at a time? It might be that your system gets overloaded with new things and can't cope. I know that for me, some stuff can have an effect on my tummy two or three days after eating it. So I would only try something new every three days at minimum, but probably closer to a week.

What kinds of food are you wanting to add back in? Are there any veggies or other IFs that you're craving? Maybe if you post what foods you'd like we could give you some suggestions on how to add them safely?

--------------------
~*Amber*~

The things I would love to have back! new
      #342087 - 02/13/09 05:21 PM
emmasmom

First of all Beans I miss beans so much! I have been so long with out them I am afraid to eat them and were to start.
Broccoli I miss it I have tried and it gave me gas so I just keep trying?
pizza
Salsa miss this!
Yogurt more snack items
Cheese
Not to much to ask for right???
Any advice?
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: The things I would love to have back! new
      #342196 - 02/16/09 03:45 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Sorry it took a bit to respond- another couple of bad days ...

Here's what I suggest. One caveat, I don't go to any great lengths to avoid things like HFCS or milk derivatives, so that's something to keep in mind when reading ...

Beans: I eat FF refried beans all the time. You could try a scoop in your yummy turkey tacos, or you could add a few black beans or kidney beans. I always have white rice when I'm having Mexican food as an SF base. Since you have been avoiding them for a while, remember to start small.

Broccoli: I pretty much only like broccoli when it's in stir-fry. I make it at home- I only put a little bit of broc. in since hubby doesn't care much for it. I have chicken stir-fry and usually just use a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies. You could use whatever veggies you like tho- use ones that you know are safe. Can you do sugar snap peas? Anyway, what I do is cook my veggies well, and then at the end I toss the cooked meat back in the pan and add TONS of teriyaki sauce and other sauces. Then the broccoli is practically falling apart. Serve over a good base of white rice or noodles.

Pizza: There's a good post floating around right now on the diet board with ideas. I like to make my pizza on Boboli crusts (I can't find the ingredients list to see whether these are safe), and I use BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce. I do lots of chicken (canned chicken works fine), peppers, onions, or whatever frozen bagged veggies are around. If I opt to have cheese, I actually just use Veggie Shreds shredded soy cheddar cheese- might be weird on tomato sauce, but delish! on BBQ sauce. I can usually find this cheese at local stores ...

Salsa: have you tried taco sauce instead? Or pureeing regular salsa further to try to make it safer? Maybe you could use one of those fast-food hot sauce packets, just to control portion size?

One of the places I go when I'm bad is Del Taco. They have Big Fat Chicken Tacos which are the nummiest things on the planet! And I bet if I made the effort, I could make them safely at home. But they are made with an ancho chile sauce that is very good. I'll have to see if I can get a good recipe for it ...

Yogurt: Have you tried the Stonyfield Farms soy yogurt that they sell at Walmart? I tried the strawberry once, the flavor is good, but I don't actually care much for yogurt Other snacks are kind of a problem still for me ... I like all kinds of dry cereal (one of the places where I don't look for HFCS), and granola bars and fruit. I also like PB crackers I make with saltines. I go crazy with safe fudgecicles (I think they are safe anyway), and I am a total nut for baked cookies, muffins, etc. Ooh, and I ADORE peanut butter zig zag ice cream! But I only get that rarely ...

Cheese: I pretty much only use the Cheddar Shreds since it's the only thing I can find around where I live. And I don't get it that often, only for Mexican meals or sometimes for pizza. I think if you can find the right flavors for you then you won't even need cheese most of the time. I don't need it for burgers or chili or things like that.

Here are the things that I think are important to remember when you are trying new foods: Start SMALL, like a bite or two if need be. Try one new thing at a time. Give it a good shot before deciding it's no good, specifically if you think it's giving you gas/bloat- that particular symptom seems to happen kind of randomly, like you ate too fast or had something to drink before eating rather than after (or your best-friend's mother-in-law snagged her dress on a splinter in the door frame! Crazy IBS). Of course, if it gives you immediate and violent D or something you don't have to keep trying. And the last tip: make sure that you aren't still recovering from a previous attack, since your tummy will be that much more sensitive to new things.

I hope there's at least one helpful thing in there for you hon- Good luck! (And sorry it got so long-winded!)

--------------------
~*Amber*~

*Bump* for emmasmom new
      #342257 - 02/17/09 10:52 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re: The things I would love to have back! new
      #342284 - 02/18/09 10:12 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Do these thing just give you gas or do they make your IBS worse?
Try taking a digestive enzyme with your meals.Make sure it has oxbile in it.Then try beans again.only a few and buffered with sf.My coice of SF is bread,a few slices while cooking and plenty at supper.
I tried cabbage and green beans for the first time in almost a year and I didn't have any crazy reactions.Some mild gas but that was expected and I didn't take any precautions.
Good luck
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Hum...... new
      #342298 - 02/18/09 01:47 PM
emmasmom

I try the broccoli again. It doesn't make my ibs worse just gas! I do take bean-o before I eat maybe I'll just up the souble on this.

Pizza I think I have given up on. I would love bbq but I can't handle vinger any ideas?

Soy yogurt my tummy makes all kinds of noises when I eat this. Maybe I should take some beano with this as well?

Beans are what I miss the most and are the most afraid of I have a can of fat free refried beans and kindey beans both in my cabinet and just to scared to try them.

Thanks all for the advice! Keep it coming!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Hum...... new
      #342303 - 02/18/09 02:46 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

this bbq recipe has no vinegar added to it.

1 onion grated
1/4 cup butter (would use ibs safe butter)
Cook together till tender Then add:

1 cup catsup
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
Optional: garlic or smoke flavoring

Simmer altogether for 20 minutes Use right away or chill in the fridge. It lasts a long time.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1997 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review