All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
interstitial cystitis
      #341931 - 02/11/09 05:47 AM
Kathy84

Reged: 05/28/08

Has anyone had a hydrodistention done to find out if you have interstitial cystitis? I have been to 6 different doctors and I went to see an urogynecology and they want to do the hydrodistention because they don't know want I have. I am not a diabetic, I can go up to 20 times a day including night of frequent urination. I don't have any pain and everything else looks fine, including good kidneys. But I am afraid if I am doing the right thing. I read it is painful after the procedure and don't really want to deal with that. If anyone has gone thru this let me know if I should do this and what to expect?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: interstitial cystitis new
      #341946 - 02/11/09 07:58 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I have IC and also used to go upwards of 20+ times per day. My doctor did not do a hydrodistension, but rather something called a Potassium Sensitivity Test that also tests for IC. The Potassium Sensitivity Test is much less invasive and less painful. I would maybe ask your doctor if that's an option - not all doctors do it though.

--------------------
IBS-C

#341966 - 02/11/09 11:36 AM
Kathy84

Reged: 05/28/08

Can you tell me what this procedure involves? Are you put
under?

Thanks!

#341986 - 02/12/09 05:33 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

No, you're not put out for it. Basically, they catheterize you and drain your bladder. Then they instill a sterile water solution into your bladder. This should not cause any discernible reaction, and it's used to sort of test your baseline. Then they inject a potassium solution into your bladder. If you have any discomfort, burning, or pain, you can be diagnosed with IC. It was an uncomfortable process, but by no means painful. My doctor had a rescue instillation ready in case I reacted to the potassium, which I did. She instilled the rescue solution (Lidocaine and Heparin) which made it feel a LOT better.

Once I was diagnosed, I started getting instillations of Lidocaine and Heparin once per week, and this has done a lot to help decrease my frequency and discomfort.

The doctor I see is a Uro-Gynecologist. They are the ones most knowledgeable about IC, however are not very common. I think if you go to www.icnetwork.com you can search for practitioners in your area.

Good luck in your quest for a diagnosis! I know how uncomfortable/painful/embarrassing bladder problems can be, but there is hope it will get better!

--------------------
IBS-C

#342068 - 02/13/09 12:02 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

About a year ago I was working for a urologist who treated an IC diagnosis sort of like an IBS diagnosis. I don't know that he did many/any tests for anyone; he seemed to give the diagnosis to patients he saw repeatedly and who weren't helped by whatever previous treatment advice. I'm not sure that's very helpful for you, but it's another school of thought.

When the doc diagnosed patients with IC he would give them The Diet . It's an alternative medicine type-thing, I don't know how well it works or if studies have been done, but he was always very adamant about his patient's following it.

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#342086 - 02/13/09 04:49 PM
mariah01

Reged: 02/13/09
Loc: fresno, Ca

I was diagnosed in 05 with this disorder. Not fun at all. I was scoped by a hose with a camera at the end of it. The procedure caused so pain, However no more than a minute or two. I now take Elmiron, and ditropan daily. I no longer have symtoms.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2265

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review