All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pizza Addiction!
      #341916 - 02/10/09 02:09 PM

Unregistered

Has anyone found something that tastes great and can help with my "need" to eat pizza? I would love to eat it once a week (or every day!) but I realize that everytime I cheat and eat it I am very C for several days. I dont eat dairy except for the once or twice a month pizza.(usually 2 slices.)What can I can eat that will sufice and fill this craving I have?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pizza Addiction! new
      #341926 - 02/10/09 06:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is a cheeseless Amy's pizza that is very good. If you want to put DF mozzarella on it you can but too much of that makes it kind of icky. I also make calzones sometimes with a little of that cheese and dunked into pizza sauce.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342108 - 02/14/09 11:21 AM

Unregistered

Thanks Little Minnie! Excuse my ignorance but what is DF mozarella. I am sure that as soon as I type this that it will come to mind. Do you make your own dough for the calzones and what do you put in them. Thanks. The pizza addict.

#342127 - 02/15/09 06:16 AM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

I can eat the toffuti frozen pizza - it actually taste pretty good.

--------------------
IBS~D

#342145 - 02/15/09 01:38 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

I love pizza too! Making my own has been very enjoyable, this is what I use

Premade refrigerated Pillsbury thin crust dough
4-6 TBS plain organic tomato sauce, enough to put a thin coating on the dough
Sliced mushrooms, small can, sprinkle a few inches apart
Cooked chicken, turkey, or shrimp diced or ground, sprinkle an even layer
Bake according to Pillsbury product directions, or until golden brown
1 slice Soy cheese chopped and added to pizza the last few minutes of baking

For Calzones, the dough can also be folded over top like an omelet with ends pinched, in this case include the cheese before baking and folding over. Using the thin dough, less sauce, and a pizza pan with holes in it appears to prevent the middle of the pizza from becoming too soggy.

The Pillsbury dough and using such small amount of plain tomato sauce and soy cheese does not trigger an attack for me but results may vary per person, you will have to experiment to find what works for you. I did try a recipe with hoisin sauce but it was too spicy for me, then I tried frozen premade pizzas but they tasted like cardboard. I look forward to making pizza or calzones about every two weeks and vary the type of meat used to make them. I hope to get braver and add more veggies, but I will see what I can tolerate.

Many times with pizza I use organic pea soup (the type you add hot water to) as a chip dip, and have baked scoops, baked ruffles, or French bread pieces for dipping - great for munching and watching movies, games, or races on the weekend!
http://www.pillsbury.com/products/pizza/refrigerated/PizzaCrust.htm

Karen

dairy free new
      #342150 - 02/15/09 04:36 PM
Little Minnie

I make my calzones with pizza roll in the can (I like the store brand better than Pillsbury) and I put meatless or chicken sausage with lots of flavor, mushrooms, spinach, onions or whatever, and a little DF mozzarella. Then I fold it over and make a slit to let steam escape. I bake, and dunk each bite in sauce.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342151 - 02/15/09 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

1 slice Soy cheese chopped and added to pizza the last few minutes of baking

That must be the trick. I put a bunch of decent DF mozzarella on my pizza recently and thought it would be as good as normal, I also overbaked it accidentally and all in all it was gross!

I do recall now that I used to always make a hoisin pizza that was great! I don't eat chicken anymore but the recipe for it is on the recipe board. It had chicken, spinach, green onions, mushrooms and hoisin and so there was no need for cheese. We both used to really like it.

--------------------

Flatbreads new
      #342176 - 02/16/09 10:13 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Flatbreads are very trendy these days and tend to satisfy that "pizza" craving for me. There are zillions of recipes everywhere and they're fast/easy to assemble from scratch.

I love Amy's cheese-less pizzas.

I agree about melting vegan cheeses at the last second for better results on your own crusts. Ironically, I tried phyllo for a wild French inspired pizza on the weekend topped with carmelized onions, fresh herbs, and faux-parm.
I also made a really weird one topped with hummus and roasted red peppers, parlsy pre-cooked eggplant.

I guess you just need to be more creative and experiment with faux-cheese, if using, to see how it responds to your oven.

Note that most pizza places will make to order and many even have gf crusts.

Wind,
IBS-D, stable.

pizza places new
      #342200 - 02/16/09 04:26 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

Note that most pizza places will make to order and many even have gf crusts.

That is a good suggestion. They will make you your own pizza or calzone with no cheese and lots of veggies. I still sometimes have problems with that- perhaps the amount of oil, but we rarely are in a situation of needing to go to a pizza place. I have absolutely no cravings for foods like regular pizza, even though I once loved cheese more than anything.

--------------------

Re: pizza places new
      #342220 - 02/17/09 09:52 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I went out to a pizza restaurant the other week, was concerned about what I'd eat but managed to order a pizza direct from the menu with a topping of potato, anchovies and rosemary - no cheese or tomato. It was good! As you say, too much oil, but I'd taken a peppermint cap and didn't feel too bad (no worse than i sometimes do after eating meals that I thought were completely safe - i think if you feel relaxed in a restaurant and eat slowly, it helps).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review