All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new to boards
      #341677 - 02/05/09 06:31 AM
kayg

Reged: 02/05/09

Hi,
I have just joined and have a question concerning the initial diet to break the cycle of IBS. With IBS-D how long does it take for the diet to take effect. I have been on it for several days but have not seen any significant improvement.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to boards new
      #341679 - 02/05/09 08:20 AM
Equilibrium

Reged: 01/30/09
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Kay G and Welcome,
I am also a newbie, been on the diet for a week. Since I've started the diet I have been regular, I have been following it strictly. Have you been drinking soluable fiber as well? I drink one in the morning and at night, I'd like to increase it but i'm doing so slowly. I am in love with yogurt but have not touched it since i've been on this diet, soon I'll venture to the soy yogurt when I'm brave enough. Is there any trigger foods or drinks that you are still using?

--------------------

#341680 - 02/05/09 08:30 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

You probably don't want to hear this, but it took me about a year and a half to get stable. However, my periods of being free from pain, etc, got longer and longer during that time, but it takes time to figure out your triggers (some are standard for all of us, others are very individual) and get a workable dosage of acacia. Plus you might want to look into probiotics later, and even digestive enzymes. All has to be done slowly and one thing at at time. I also highly recommend the hypnotherapy cd's. Just be patient with yourself, it all gets better. I've been stable now for almost 4 months. But it took time to get here.

#341683 - 02/05/09 08:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Just to clarify. Have you been restricting your meals solely to 'break the cycle' foods like plain white rice, plain instant oatmeal, cream of rice cereal, dry corn or oat or rice cereals, pasta, white breads or toast, peeled potatoes, etc? Or have you been adding other foods? If you have been adding other foods which ones have you added?

Also, are you taking a soluble fiber supplement as well? If yes, which one?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#341687 - 02/05/09 10:19 AM
kayg

Reged: 02/05/09

I have been restricting myself to the foods you mention but have also had soy milk and bananas as they were listed as soluble fiber foods. I am about to starve on this diet though. I have also been taking Metamucil capsules.

#341719 - 02/05/09 04:55 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Good news! IBS-D seems to me to be the easiest kind to become stable. You might do well with peppermint capsules. Also get a gluten intolerance test to be sure, if you haven't. If you stick with the safest foods and for now wait to add IF foods you will start getting better soon, as long as it is just IBS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 683 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review