All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Need help with yeast overgrowth diagnosis!!!! Please!
      #341603 - 02/04/09 10:26 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I am newly "diagnosed" with having yeast and additional bad bacteria in my system.(so they say)
I have been suffering for years, being told this is IBS, and recently had some stool testing done. The trouble is, I am having a hard time reading the test results myself.
So how much candida is too much? does anyone know?

The test said that my beneficial bacteria was GOOD! (I credit that to Heather and the Acacia powder which I have been faithfully using for a year, plus probiotics). Now, I thought this "good" bacteria keeps the bad in "check". So if my good is VERY GOOD....why would the bad be a problem?

My Natuopath wants to put me on Uva ursi, Diflucan, and a special yeast free diet (ex: no sugar or food containing yeast. ), and to eliminate my exposure to mold.

A little histoy:
I Have have a host of problems that I believe somehow are all related! From sinus problems, to headaches, fatigue, anxiety, IBS symtoms (I am C), terrible bloating, skin rash, itchy skin around my ankles, sore and red eyes.....
I have been to allergists, and ENT etc... who have told me I have no allergies and no sinus problems......they all refer me to "someone else" because they don't know what is wrong.

My regular doctor was upset by the thought of me taking "Diflucan" as she said it has a host of serious possible side affects. So now I don't know what to do.
My regular doctor does not see all of this as being connected. She treats individual symptoms.

My naturopath says it IS all connected and that she feels I have an imbalance of bad bacteria which is causing it all.
So who do I believe???????
I don't want to take a fungal medicine that might "hurt" me.

I'm so sorry dear friends for this very long post.
But I am desperate for help and guidance.

Thanks so much for any input.....

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help with yeast overgrowth diagnosis!!!! Please! new
      #341643 - 02/04/09 03:10 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Your symptoms sure sound like fungus to me. I'm not sure why the grief about the diflucan, unless you would be taking it for extended periods of time. It may cause side effects, but I don't think it is as bad as a 'host of serious side effects'. I have read it has a relatively safe profile...whatever that means. How about a natural, herbal antifungal like olive leaf extract or caprylic acid, if you prefer something natural?

Were you ever on antibiotics before your symptoms appeared? Even back as a child. If so, your good bacteria was overrun with the bad, and allowed yeast to proliferate in its' (good bacteria) absence. Just pumping yourself with probiotics will not get rid of the fungus. Are you hesitant to try an antifungal diet, eliminating the sugar/yeast foods? I found much relief after that, along with the natural antifungals.

#341669 - 02/05/09 03:14 AM
CarolynC

Not hesitant at all about a diet change. I am just starting an antifungal diet since yesterday. Basically no sugar, no yeast, low carb, high protien and lots of veggies.

As for Diflucan, I read that 1 out of 100 people exerience liver damage and that It should be taken as a "last resort" medicine.

I was shocked to read all of this since my naturopath did not give me the slightest indication there would be any side affects.

Yes, I'd like natural. She also gave me Uva Ursi whcih is an herbal pill. But I will look into the two you mentioned.

Have you cured your yeast problem? Or will you need to be on the diet forever?

Thanks so much for responding!

--------------------
occasional type A

#341709 - 02/05/09 01:58 PM
kim123

I am not on the diet, per se. I do watch what I eat so I don't get those symptoms back. If I have a little yeast, even by accident, I can usually tell within a day because I get the gurgling, tight gut and gas pains...maybe even loose movements. I sometimes eat yeast-free millet/flaxseed bread, or unleavened tortilla bread. We rarely keep bread in the house, even for my family who can tolerate it. Interestingly, when my husband does eat bread, he gets very gassy and constipated. I can pretty well eat sweets and such again, but I don't really care for them like I used to. I still have an intolerance to some fruit. Seems the diet helped me lose the cravings and addictions I once had....another possible symptom of fungus

#341728 - 02/06/09 05:46 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

The idea of fungus overgrowth has been on my mind lately. It was even suggested by my allergist. I had the candida test done with no results (also had a test for other allergens, including food, nothing showed up). However, she did say that the test results mean that nothing showed up in my "external blood" (aka the blood that was drawn), and that doesn't mean I couldn't have antibodies in other portion of my blood that happened to be circulating elsewhere in my body. I also remember my GI doc telling me that even if blood tests turn out to be negative, it's still not a 100% proof that nothing's wrong, and that the best thing to do is to find out through trial and error.

Anyway, as I wrote in my other recent post, I keep thinking about how well I felt on the SBD, and how much worse I feel when I eat lots of grains and sugar. I think I will give the diet that Kim often describes here a proper shot (talking about knowthecause.com). I already sort of eat that way (well, on a good day ) but I still eat grains and some sweets.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341731 - 02/06/09 05:57 AM
kim123

Good luck with that. I agree, you may only know for sure through experimenting. My doctors never found anything through testing either. But, I sure felt a heck of a lot better after experimenting with the antifungal diet. There are many kinds of fungi that can cause disease in humans...candida is only one.

#341779 - 02/07/09 12:59 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

It's harder than I thought (at least the beginning) - I was doing so well yesterday, then had a chocolate cake at night . Will start anew today :-).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341794 - 02/07/09 01:55 PM
CarolynC

I've been trying an anti-candida diet for a few days now and I am sooo hungry! Probably what Kim was saying about the cravings.
I agree with you. It's harder than you think.
Tomorrow is a new day....keep me posted with your progress!

--------------------
occasional type A

#341795 - 02/07/09 02:02 PM
CarolynC

which diet did you use and for how long?

I have a diet that was given to me by my naturopath, and also got a book. The book diet is MUCH more restrictive and I don't think I can do it for 4 months

I DO keep Heather's Eating for IBS on hand too. Aft all, the yeast has caused IBS.

I've read it is nearly impossible to totally get rid of the yeast. I really love bread and am having a hard time giving it up. I'll have to look into yeast free varieties.

Thanks Kim!

--------------------
occasional type A

#341797 - 02/07/09 02:33 PM
kim123

I followed the diet on the knowthecause.com website. It was the gentleman, Doug Kaufmann, who introduced me to the concepts of fungus and disease with his health shows on TV and then his books. I didn't find the diet as restrictive as others I have since read about. Yes, I had to give up bread, potatoes and pasta...all my favorites at one time, but now I don't even miss them....really. I started using the yeast-free bread (sparingly to begin) after the 2 week mark since it is allowed on the phase 2 diet, and gradually increased grains as I went along to see if I would have a relapse. I wanted to be sure they weren't triggers for me. Now, it is different for everyone when to start the phase 2 of the diet. You need to go with your symptoms. Mine literally disappeared after 2 weeks, so I started the phase 2 diet after 2 weeks, and I stayed on the phase 2 for probably 3-4 months, with a few treats now and then The phase 2 allows you to introduce certain grains, as well as a few other foods (yams, brown rice)that were not allowed on phase 1. If you want me to send you the actual diet, email me and I'll send it to you. The phase 1 is on the above mentioned website, however.

I also believe the key for me was the natural antifungals and probiotics. I don't think diet alone will give you the results you may be looking for, depending on the severity of your condition. Diet is a start, however. Hang in there. You may feel worse before you feel better. You really cannot cheat on the intial part of the diet. You will just undo everything you worked hard for, even with one mouth-watering morsel.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 493 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22134

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review