All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Need help with yeast overgrowth diagnosis!!!! Please! new
      #341798 - 02/07/09 03:09 PM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I'd love you to mail me the diet plan. Thank you so much!
From what I have read you are right that diet alone is not enough.
May I ask which natural anti-fungals you used?

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#341810 - 02/07/09 10:26 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Kim - if the diet plan is anything else that's mentioned on the website, could you please e-mail it to me, too? Is it the phase 2? Otherwise I've got the diet plan from the FAQ section.
Carolyn - yes, HUNGER! That's exactly what I experienced! I kept stuffing myself with more and more veggies, I was so bloated at night . I tried eating enough protein but I think I'll need to eat more. What are your sources of protein that make good snacks? Mine are boiled eggs and tuna, I need to think of something I can bring to work tomorrow.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341817 - 02/08/09 10:13 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yes, the phase 1 is under the FAQ section, so you are set with that. On the phase 2 you can add brown rice, yams, beans and peas, yeast-free tortillas, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, barley, oats, or sourdough bread in moderation(yeast-free). I found yeast-free millet bread at my nutrition store. So, that gives you a better selection of food choices and you won't feel as hungry.

Do you eat meat/poultry? I ate a lot of that, for lunch and dinner, with veggies stir-fry, or salad. I also drank V-8 juice for a snack. I tried to eat a substantial breakfast with eggs/ham/bacon and I found I didn't feel so hungry through the day.I made a "legal" cheesecake with crushed almond bottom sweetened with Stevia, that helped me get through the first few weeks. I'll email it to you. Or, I can post it on here, if I'm allowed.

As for natural antifungals, I took olive leaf extract and caprylic acid. I rotated them monthly.

Have you had any ill side-effects....tiredness, aches, headaches, joint pain, fogginess....flu-like symptoms? I found when I took the antifungals I seemed to clean out my system much faster, but it gave me killer side effects.

#341818 - 02/08/09 10:50 AM
Zara

Thanks Kim, I'd love to have the recipe!

I have a question for you about the caprylic acid - which brand did you use, and how many did you take per day? I found a discussion board where people say that some brands work better than others. People said that the solgar brand was good but it's expensive here - 100 caps for about $40. I know I could get it cheaper online from the US, I just don't know if I want to wait that long to get it. I'll search the internet some more, though, to see if I can find it cheaper.

Thanks for the diet update! I can't wait to add some grains! The tortillas - do you use whole wheat flour tortillas, or regular? I haven't seen the ww ones here.

I am a meat-eater. I've been eating mostly chicken and fish for the past couple days. Sometimes we go out for lunch at work, and I can't imagine how hard this diet would be for a vegetarian! This way I can still order a filling meal!

I have not have any side effects yet but today is pretty much my first proper day! Plus, my system always reacts slowly to everything, so I don't think I'll have a reaction until a day four or five . I'll let you know!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341822 - 02/08/09 11:57 AM
JJIbeach

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Wakefield, RI

Hi Carolyn & others!

I can empathize with your yeast overgrowth problem. Though I was not formally diagnosed, this is something I have been suspecting about myself for a while now. I seem to recall your responding to a post I made a few months back about recurrent yeast infections.

However, I am happy to report, I have had far fewer problems lately. I am still not where I'd like to be ultimately (may still want to try that antifungal diet), but actually, much of my improvement happened unintentionally... to get to my yeast issues, I'll have to start with other issues, though seemingly unrelated, it's all related...

From July to December, I was living in India. I studied abroad there for my fall semester. Before this, I was naturally quite nervous about how my IBS may act up in India, but I tried to remind myself of the strong psychological component to IBS... if I keep thinking I am going to have a problem, I probably will. In the spring/summer just before I went to India, my IBS symptoms ironically & conveniently almost disappeared (this I attribute to a number of factors including but not limited to counseling & better stress management, diet changes, supplements, yoga, meditation, & honestly, medicinal marijuana). The summer before I left I went on a week-long road trip with nine friends from NY to Tennessee & ate hotdogs & hamburgers without any problems, if you can believe it! In India, I had very few IBS symptoms, as I have been C-dominant. HOWEVER!, I had the opposite problem! This had nothing to do with my condition though, all of the foreigners I was traveling with had the same problem, just because there is so much bacteria everywhere in India. The food & water are just highly questionable & it is easy to get bacteria in your system which results in diarrhea & vomiting. For this, I had an antibiotic my general physician in the US prescribed to me just in case before I left, Ciprofloxacin. Cipro is used to treat all kinds of bacterial infections. Though I am not crazy about taking antibiotics or any prescription drugs, I had to take this a number of times to get rid of the bacteria I got in India. In doing this, I think I inadvertently killed the yeast overgrowth I had. I was also taking probiotics consistently. So, the reason this is relevant is because I understand why you wouldn't want to take Diflucan, but it might be necessary temporarily to kill the bad stuff. If I hadn't taken the Cipro, I don't think I would have rid myself of the bad bacteria.

Since my return from India in the beginning on December, I haven't had a yeast infection & overall, I feel generally better. I am also taking two other natural antifungals that are very inexpensive: Apple Cider Vinegar capsules & Garlic Oil capsules. I think these help to keep the fungus in my gut in check.

So, while I am no expert nor do I consider my issue completely resolved, I think you should go ahead with the Diflucan just to kill all that bad stuff & continue your diet & take natural antifungals, whichever one you choose... all the best to you & the others suffering with this problem.

--------------------
21, female, Long Island, NY
school in Kingston, RI

IBS-C, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, cramping; acid reflux; fibromyalgia; chronic fatigue syndrome; chronic headaches

"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

"Suffering arises ... whenever we resist the flow of life and try to cling to fixed forms..., whether they are things, events, people, or ideas."

#341832 - 02/08/09 06:34 PM
kim123

Nice to hear others have been helped taking antifungals. Apple cider vinegar is a good place to start if you don't have access to other natural antifungals. Cipro would not have helped your fungal condition, however. It has no antifungal activity. The Diflucan, on the other hand, would be a great way to kill yeast overgrowth. I hope you continue to have good health. Thanks for sharing your story and encouragement!

#341834 - 02/08/09 06:56 PM
kim123

I used the Solaray brand. It is actually called Yeast Cleanse, which includes c. acid, pau d'arco, grapefruit seed extract, all good antifungals. I have also used the Nature's Way brand of supplements. Can you get organic apple cider vinegar in the meantime? Mix a tsp. or so in some water and drink. Yucky taste but it is a good antifungal, as well. I used white flour tortillas, but I had to look carefully on the ingredients label, 'cause some have yeast in them. I used to make breakfast burritos for breakfast and/or meat/veggie wraps for lunch. Gave a little more variety anyway.

The cheesecake recipe:

Ground almonds or pecans and melted butter for base(I don't follow a certain amount. Enough to cover the bottom of springform pan) I add melted butter with the nuts so it holds together a bit better.

3 egg whites-whip and set aside for later
In separate bowl add and beat together:
2 pkgs. cream cheese (full fat)
3 egg yolks (I use only 2, a matter of taste preference)
Stevia to taste. You don't need to much, you have to really do it trial and error. Don't overdo the Stevia, or it will be bitter.
Flavor: vanilla, and/or real lemon juice (I use from a bottle..again enough for your taste preference)

Once beaten together, fold in egg whites until mixed fairly well. It should be foamy/frothy but mixed in well. Don't stir and beat it!

Pour into the pan with already added nut base. Bake 300 degrees for 1 hour.
I top with fresh or frozen berries with real whipped cream when I eat it. You may need a few trial and errors to get thte taste you are satisfied with, especially with the Stevia and flavorings.
Tastes amazing, especially after coming off a sugar addiction fix from following the diet

If you have trouble with nuts, take it easy on the size of pieces. It should only be a treat, not a full size like you'd get in a restaurant! I think I ate too much in one day so I had very loose bowels for awhile. Then, I started scraping some of the nuts off the bottom just in case.

#341838 - 02/09/09 04:39 AM
CarolynC

Thanks for all of this great information. I was very impressed with the Doug Kaufmann website and have ordererd a couple of his books. This shouldhelp with some recipe ideas. (YOur cheesecake sounds fabulous! Can't wait till I can try it)
As for side affects, I feel absolutely rotten! Yes, flu like and headache, chilled achy...and so on! It's really getting me down. So far I'm only doing a diet change and taking some Uva Ursi (a natural herbal remedy for fungas).
I have decided to try and take the Diflucan antifungal for a little while. But have not started yet because I want to stock up on a few other natural remidies so that I can rotate them. I've been reading a lot about Olive Leaf extract! So I'm going to try and find that one for sure.

By the way, Which anti-fungal did you use?

--------------------
occasional type A

#341840 - 02/09/09 05:34 AM
Zara

Carolyn, it's actually good that you feel crappy, that way you know the diet's really working. I'm on my proper day two, I don't feel great but I was sick last week (flu) and I'm not completely well yet, so it could also be that. I actually hope to get this reaction, too, because I want to feel that it's working :-).

I shelled out today and purchased the caprylic acid, if it works ok then I'll have my relatives bring me some from the US (they're visiting in May). Even if I ordered it directly from the US store, they were going to charge me $30 for shipping, so I figured I wouldn't really save anyway :-). And, this way, I can have it now. I took one after lunch today and I do feel bloated, but that's not necessarily relevant. The one I have has 325mg per dose.

Kim, thanks for the cheesecake recipe, it sounds yummy! I probably won't make it now though, because I couln't have just one piece. Too tempting :-). But I'll save it for the later phase.

Also, do you know if sugar free candies are ok? I'm not talking about the ones sweetened with sugar alcohol but the ones that have aspartame and acesulfane K (sp?). Would those be OK?

Also, the V8 is a great idea. I didn't find it here so I got some 100% tomato juice. It's great for the office to have as a snack. I also got the apple cider vinegar and

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341843 - 02/09/09 07:04 AM
CarolynC

Hi Zara, yes, I certainly DO feel weird....like the flu is coming on. It's almost like the fungus are coming alive or something. But you are right about this confirming the fungus theory for my problem.

I'd love to keep in touch with you regarding all of this. Do you know of another board that we could connect on? I don't want to confuse the people here on "eating for IBS" board.

--------------------
occasional type A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review