All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
for the non-meat eaters
      #341354 - 01/28/09 07:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Do you sub a lot of beans/lentils? and how do you handle them? I had lentil soup (blended) on Sunday with mushrooms and naan bread and got bad D afterward. I usually don't have a problem with IF and I thought it might have been too fatty, but DH was super gassy from it and it made me think it was the lentils themselves.
Last week I made taco salad with smashed black beans and had a side of rice. I used to be fine with it but I didn't feel super and didn't eat the leftovers this time. I am doing wonderfully with tofu but not so great with beans etc.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: for the non-meat eaters new
      #341364 - 01/29/09 06:46 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I do really well with lentils but struggle a bit with beans. My husband has been complaining of gassiness as well. I keep saying I'm going to buy Beano for us to take beforehand, but I keep forgetting. We really like our beans, though, and it hasn't been bad enough to keep us away!

The problem in my house is that DH gets gassy and he farts. I get gassy and it gets trapped and won't come out and gives me a belly ache!

Do you use dried beans or canned? I use canned, really well rinsed. Lentils I obviously use dried - I've never seen canned lentils!

--------------------
IBS-C

#341368 - 01/29/09 07:58 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I just wanted to add that I have seen caned lentils I have some in my cabinet just to chicken to try them.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Can't handle beans or lentils of any kind - nt - new
      #341369 - 01/29/09 08:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#341371 - 01/29/09 09:15 AM
Fen

Really Sheila? How exciting! What brand are they???

--------------------
IBS-C

#341373 - 01/29/09 10:08 AM
emmasmom

westbrae natural vegetarian organic lentil beans!Like I said they been in he cabinet for like 2 months just to chicken to try them.
Sheila

#341374 - 01/29/09 12:04 PM
Fen

I'll have to look for those! That would make a super easy quick dinner for nights I don't feel like cooking - just put some rice in the rice cooker, nuke some lentils and dinner is done!!

You should try them, I think they're really quite tasty. They're actually one of my favorite foods. Just make sure they're really well cooked and soft - almost falling apart - that will make them easier to digest. I like mine with Indian spices

--------------------
IBS-C

#341375 - 01/29/09 12:14 PM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I cannot tolerate lentils, edamame, garbanzo beans, butter beans, black beans, or kidney beans. But I do use Bush's mixed beans, and canned white or navy beans (all rinsed well before cooking). For meat substitutes I rely on Morning Star Farms, Boca, and Gardenburger brands. I also love regular tofu and cook that in a variety of ways.
Yep, my guess is that the lentils were the culprit!

interesting answers new
      #341391 - 01/29/09 06:14 PM
Little Minnie

Sounds like some variance in the beans and lentils category. You would think because I blended them they would have been better- but they were not cooked as well as I would have liked so I will try again in a more limited way just to be sure.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#341395 - 01/29/09 08:57 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I find that if too much liquid is involved with legume-rich meals, I get a "hurricane" D-attack (example food: lentil soup): watery going in for me = watery going out. Goodness forbid if spices are involved !

I do great with tvp, tofu, seitan and quorn for protein bases. Lentils are troublesome for me, probably due to the high insoluble fiber content. They just move thru me too rapidly. Kidney beans are much less troublesome for me than lentils. Black beans are favourable for me, but they have a solid percentage of soluble fiber. Edammame are highly friendly foods and most every kind of pea (split pea, frozen pea, sugar snap pea, chick pea, etc.).
When I order lentil daal at an Indian restaurant, I am guaranteed bad/painful gas due to the way my body handles lentils, however if I order channa masala with rice I'm okay. I guess you just have to listen to your body.

Wind
Ibs-D.

Fen new
      #341417 - 01/30/09 11:38 AM
emmasmom

I hope ya fine them I could mail you mine . Cause like I said they still be in the cabinet. I tried broccoli a fw weeks ago just a little and mashed and took beano and ha gas for like 3 days. I really do miss beans I wonder if kindey beans would be better. I really miss beans I love black beans. But like I said just to chicken to try. Any advice? Thanks...
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Thanks! new
      #341437 - 01/30/09 06:28 PM
Little Minnie

and nice to see you again!

--------------------

Re: Thanks! new
      #341532 - 02/01/09 09:28 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

You're welcome! I tell it like I know it--lentils for me spell fiber-bomb city. Too much fiber for me in one feed/meal = gas, bloating and D. I can do beans if they are kind of a condiment or a topping--that's probably why hummus and other bean dips don't really cause me a problem. Even with Beano (which I don't waste my money and energy on anymore--I apply good old fashioned common sense and past experience to the situation), I might by-pass some gas and discomfort and bloating, however the inevitable zoom-zoom of D would come anyways.

Lentils are little insoluble fiber-bombs, so tread cautiously. They're good and good for you, but a little goes a long way! Those little lentils are high-test! I think a serving has more fiber than Fiber One cereal or All Bran buds! Call in the Gas-busters!

I'll pop in now and then to the boards--I just need to guard against being to obsessive, a tendency of mine!

Wind (aka Kate)
Ibs-D, stable (can even tolerate a green salad!)

#341551 - 02/02/09 05:23 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

Yes, I eat a ton of beans, usually one or two servings a day. When I switched to eating more vegetarian, I did have some problems with gas early on. Beano didn't do much for me, but fennel did, and ajwain is also good (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysajwainseed.html). But those just help with the gas, so if it caused a D attack... well, I'd go slowly. Hummus or the red lentil dip (IBS cookbook one) might be a good place to start again.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 909 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4362

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review