All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gluten intolerance and ibs
      #341292 - 01/27/09 03:59 PM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

has anyone noticed that if they don't eat gluten foods their stomach is better? my daughter (who is 18)does not have celiac. we know that from both blood testing and scope. i decided this week to try an experiment with her as she has 5 times daily explosive D - to go on a gluten free diet. she is going to the bathroom less often and not as explosive. any ideas or thoughts? she takes fiber daily (1 tsp. before breakfast and dinner). not much help though if she didn't take any it could be worse? Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten intolerance and ibs new
      #341293 - 01/27/09 04:34 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Does your daughter have problems with high fructose foods such as apples, pears, watermelon and honey too?

The reason I ask is that perhaps the problem your describe are associated with fructans found in grains such as wheat rather than gluten. Fructans are indigestible carbohydrates composed of chains of fructose sugar molecules. Fructose and fructans are known to be problems for some IBSers. One characteristic of sensitivity to fructose can be diarrhea, gas, bloating, and cramps.

Fructans are found in some soluble fiber supplements too in the form of inulin or FOS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

my guess new
      #341303 - 01/27/09 06:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The body often reacts well to a change like that for a time. I've had that too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#341330 - 01/28/09 12:46 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Has she been tested for celiac disease? Also, many people (including me) who don't have celiac find that a low-gluten or low-grain diet helps. The only gluten I eat is from oats, which is supposed to be more digestible than, say, wheat gluten.

This book might be worth checking out.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#341345 - 01/28/09 06:05 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I myself was tested for celiac and it came back negative, but I still follow a wheat free diet, and am remarkably better than I used to be!

If I eat gluten it comes from oats or barley or rye, but even then that amount is small. I have been avoiding wheat for about 2 1/2 years now and I know for sure that was one of the foods that had kept me so sick for so long. I would keep your daughter on a gluten free diet, I am 21 so I understand the frustration of your 18 year old daughter. Let her know that she is not alone! If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

#341901 - 02/10/09 08:42 AM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

what is your daily diet like? Especially breakfast and snacks?

#341919 - 02/10/09 03:44 PM
Jenny B

For breakfast I usually have yogurt with cereal ( I can tolerate fat free yogurt, plus it provides me with probiotics), also a banana, some wheat free rye toast with butter and jam and a little glass of orange juice. That probably sounds like a lot but I am a breakfast person and need my energy for the day! Sometimes I have Van's Gluten and Dairy Free waffles as well, they are great.

Here is a list of wheat free cereals I eat:

Puffins Original, Honey Rice and Peanut Butter
Nature's Path Honey'd Cornflakes and Mesa Sunrise
Mango Peace Cereal and Very Berry Peace Cereal

I don't usually do a lot of snacking, but bananas are a great pick me up and I do enjoy Odwalla Bars. I drink a lot of their protein drinks as well just to keep my protein levels up.

Those are the basics right there, if you would like to know more let me know!

Good luck and I hope your daughter is doing better.

thats terrible new
      #341924 - 02/10/09 04:02 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

thats terrible that she is having D 5 times a day...I couldn't even imagine

#341932 - 02/11/09 06:35 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How did you know it was just wheat and not all gluten?

Some of your cereals do contain quite a bit of barley...like the puffins.

What kind of rye bread do you eat that has no wheat? Can you eat this everyday without it bothering you?

Thanks.
Oh, are Odwalla bars GF or just WF?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#342065 - 02/13/09 11:22 AM
Jenny B

For Jordy:

I was tested negative for Celiac, but through trial and error I have discovered that I do better if I completely eliminate wheat from my diet. I don't know if there is a specific test for the wheat intolerance, I just figured it out from experience.

As for the rye bread, it is from a company called Food For Life and the bread is a Wheat Free White Rye, I eat it almost every morning as toast and it never bothers me.

As for the Puffins, I don't see any indication on the ingredients list that they contain barley. The Honey Rice is made with gluten free ingredients which means there is no barley. The Peanut Butter and Original are made from wheat free ingredients.

And for the Odwalla Bars, they are only wheat free.

I hope this helps you!

Is the rye bread new
      #342172 - 02/16/09 06:53 AM
Jordy

....sweetened with fruit juices like there other breads? It doesn't bother you? Hm, where do you buy it from?

--------------------

Re: Is the rye bread new
      #342174 - 02/16/09 07:53 AM
Jenny B

Yes, the rye bread is sweetened with fruit juices and it never bothers me. I buy my bread from my local health foods store. Here in Montana we don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, but my town has an amazing natural/organic foods store that carries the breads.

Any more questions, just ask!

#342192 - 02/16/09 01:43 PM
CharlotteMiranda

Loc: Berlin, Germany

Jenny B, if you don't mind answering another question on this, did you find that you were feeling worse directly after eating wheat products? Or was it more of a general overall effect? I eat a lot of french bread and porridge, and it doesn't tend to make me feel worse on a 'micro' level, but now i wonder if wheat or gluten could be at the root of the problem in a more general way. I did give up wheat before for a few weeks and concluded it wasn't the problem, but that was several years ago now. I just wonder if i should give it another go.

#342207 - 02/16/09 07:08 PM
Jenny B

Charlotte, I would say that for me eating wheat did make me feel worse just in general. I think for me eating wheat was just increasing the bad side of my IBS as well, so I am glad to be rid of it!

But sometimes, immediatly after eating wheat, such as wheat pasta or lots of wheat bread I would become bloated immediatly and feel full for way too long. Based on my experience I would tell you to give a wheat free diet another chance. I know some people feel less tired and have more energy if they cut out wheat. If you need any help finding foods that are wheat free, let me know. I would be glad to help! Take care and feel better.

#342219 - 02/17/09 09:46 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Loc: Berlin, Germany

Thanks for your helpful advice Jenny, I appreciate it. I think I will give it a go, even though it would be hard for me to give up my white bread! Something about my diet still isn't working though, so i think i need to ring the changes, as I'm more than a little fed up with the problems! Glad you've found an approach that makes you feel better

#342323 - 02/19/09 02:15 AM
pumpkin73

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: California

For what it's worth, I also avoid wheat even though I don't have celiac. I asked my nutritionist if it's possible to have wheat intolerance without having celiac and she said yes. With me there isn't an obvious cause and effect the way there is with dairy (I'm also lactose intolerant). I'm not automatically sick two hours later. It's more about the buildup over time with me. When I re-introduced wheat after avoiding it for a while (as you're supposed to do to test yourself on elimination diets), I found that I was ok for the first couple of days, but after a week of having bread every day I felt the icks coming back. About a week after I eliminated it again I felt much better.

In may in fact be the fructans in wheat and not the gluten, as I've discovered I'm a lot more stable if I eat fruit sparingly.

I feel better now than I've felt in years. I hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas and cramping; dairy and wheat intolerant

What do you wheat free people eat? new
      #342343 - 02/19/09 11:20 AM
Jordy

If you just avoid wheat and not gluten, what breads, cereals, grains do you eat?

Just curious

--------------------

Re: What do you wheat free people eat? new
      #342352 - 02/19/09 03:22 PM
Jenny B

Jordy, I am a wheat intolerant gal, but I do eat cereals made of corn, white and brown rice, oats. As for breads, I do eat Ezekiel Sprouted Grain breads, for some reason I can tolerate the sprouted grains of wheat, very strange I know. I also eat a white rye bread, it is made by Food For Life and simply called Wheat Free White Rye Bread.

If anyone knows of other good tasting wheat free breads, please do let me know! I am always interested in finding new foods.

Re: What do you wheat free people eat? new
      #342360 - 02/19/09 04:50 PM
pumpkin73

I don't eat bread at all. I didn't eat much before, so it isn't much of a sacrifice for me. The thing I miss most is pasta, but there are some pretty good wheat-free pastas that you can get from health food stores. I usually get rice flour pasta.

I eat cereals made from corn and rice, and for grains I usually have brown rice or quinoa (I know quinoa is technically a seed, but it works pretty much like rice and is so good for you!)

--------------------

Pumpkin new
      #342366 - 02/19/09 06:40 PM
Jordy

If you don't eat bread, what the heck do you eat for lunch? I always think of lunch as a sandwich. Ideas would be appreciated!

Sounds like you pretty much eat GF.

--------------------

Re: Pumpkin new
      #342369 - 02/19/09 07:42 PM
pumpkin73

Yeah, I guess it pretty much is GF, though I just worry about not eating wheat. If there are other sources of gluten I don't worry about them.

My typical lunch is a salad with a chicken breast on top, and maybe a potato or sweet potato if I'm especially hungry. I try to have some SF with every meal. I eat a lot of what I call quickie "soup" too. I'll throw some cooked rice, cooked chicken, chicken broth and maybe some veggies into a container, then microwave it at work. (I don't trust most store-bought soups not to have crap in them!) If I'm home I might fry up a hamburger patty and eat it without the bun, or some fish. I guess the hardest part for me is having to plan ahead. I always have cooked chicken, cooked rice and those washed and ready to eat salads in my fridge. I try to keep cooked quinoa in there too. That keeps me feeling full longer than rice does. Or I'll make a big batch of GF pasta on the weekend and keep that in the fridge. Tomato sauce makes me sick but I'll put a little olive oil and garlic on the pasta, then microwave it.

I remember it was daunting for me at first, thinking, "oh my gosh what am I supposed to eat without wheat?!" But after a month or two it just became routine. I don't feel deprived at all, except when it comes to sweets. I miss pie!

--------------------

#342375 - 02/20/09 06:09 AM
Jordy

Thanks for some of the ideas. You can eat raw salads? I'm so jealous, and impressed! And hamburger! YUM.

What kind of veggies do you usually put into your soup? Are they precooked?

I'm not much for pie, but I do miss cookies!

--------------------

#342392 - 02/20/09 02:28 PM
pumpkin73

Yeah, I miss cookies too.

Um, I mostly used canned or frozen veggies, so they're precooked. Carrots, peas, green beans, whatever I have on hand. I can't eat raw veggies. The only thing I can handle is lettuce, and even then I always try to eat SF with it. If I don't have a potato or rice I'll be sure to take chia seeds with it. Chia seeds have helped me tremendously. I wrote a whole post about them a while ago. I have some with every meal. I usually mix them into a glass of water and let them sit a while to soften, then drink them down. They have so many benefits, they keep you feeling full, they help keep you regular, they help keep blood sugar stable.

Another thing that's helped me a lot is keifer, which I'm able to handle fine despite being lactose intolerant. The kind I buy is goat milk keifer from a health food store, which doesn't have a bunch of unnecessary ingredients like the Trader Joes brand I used to buy. Keifer is definitely worth looking into. I've stopped taking pill probiotics and just drink a small glass of keifer every morning.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8933

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review