All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Using acacia fiber.
      #341267 - 01/27/09 10:21 AM
kiwi

Reged: 10/30/03

Hi there, everyone.

I have suffered from indigestion for several years, ever since I was in my late teens.

After a few years of thinking about it, I've now been on acacia fiber for a couple of weeks. Why not - I've tried everything else.

I don't fit into a typical IBS category, as I don't have C or D as such. Rather I have a functional bowel disorder, characterised by gas and frequent bms every day.

I start each day with about 3 bms within the first hour or two, which tend to be easily evacuated and semi-formed. There is usually a fairly strong urge to pass these. For the remainder of the day I will pass further bms, which become quite pebbly and harder to pass.

I am presently taking 2 tsp of the powder - morning and afternoon. Although I can't see a difference in frequency, it seems tht the later bms are becoming softer.

I am planning to increase gradually and will start a 3rd tsp within a day or two.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about using the powder for my circumstances, as well as tips on diet. I am well aware of the diet suggestions on this board, but feel I have to juggle things to try to cut back on bathroom trips. This includes a high intake of white meat and fish, rice bread and rice. I try to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables but, unfortunately, have to avoid a lot of the gas-producing vegetables at this stage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

Kiwi.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Using acacia fiber. new
      #341284 - 01/27/09 12:31 PM
kiwi

OK, red face here, as I've just discovered the sticky for acacia powder guidelines on the message board.

I don't live in the States, so measuring levels will be a bit different, but I've started with the smallest tsp I can find and will restrain myself from increasing too rapidly.

#341304 - 01/27/09 06:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Increase it at the pace you feel is best.
Also note the recent posts about many BMs a day actually being pseudo-diarrhea.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#341351 - 01/28/09 06:42 PM
kiwi

Thankyou for the information.

Fancy that. After all my years of studying IBS....and I had never read about pseudo-diarrhea. I am very fortunate that I don't get the pain that others have described, but it can still be very debilitating to have so many bms every day. I did forget to mention in my original post that I am never able to evacuate my bowel completely after each bm. There is always stool remaining in the rectum. I call it incomplete evacuation, as I have not heard of another term to describe it.

incompletes new
      #341353 - 01/28/09 07:10 PM
Little Minnie

That is common for IBS. Gradually get your fiber up and it will help a lot! Also give yourself enough time to go each time. I give myself 20 minutes to poop, read and hold my kitties every morning. If I only took 5 minutes I wouldn't be completely done! And I usually have another 5-10 minutes afternoon/evening sometimes. It is hard to take the time when needed! which I think is a major factor contributing to IBS but it helps to relax into it so to speak!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: incompletes new
      #341470 - 01/31/09 07:01 PM
kiwi

I tried 'sitting' there for about 3/4 hour once, but, unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. I might try again tomorrow, now that I've started on acacia. I could have a shave and do some reading during that time.

I always go to the toilet within a few minutes of getting up in the morning. I usually have time to put on the coffee, then it's time to go.

Butting In Here new
      #341476 - 01/31/09 09:01 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

nopun intended...I find that taking my mind off trying to have a BM helps me relax and have it. So I keep a stack of reading material in my bathroom and look at it as a win win situation. Either I'm able to go fairly soon or I get to read more of my novel. The rule is if I've gone through two chapters the BM is just not ready to come. But I do try to set aside at least 1/2 hour at some point during the day for "reading". Sorry to be so graphic. I'm also thinking about starting with acacia fiber or Mirilax but I'm too afraid of side effects.

ditch the coffee new
      #341488 - 02/01/09 08:51 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hard as it may seem I'd 100% recommend getting rid of caffeine - even decaf tea can cause problems. Caffeine is just way to much of a stimulant to the colon to be worth drinking.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

very good advice new
      #341523 - 02/01/09 04:51 PM
Little Minnie

Years ago I didn't read in the bathroom but I find it very necessary now.
Definitely give up coffee and start increasing acacia slowly. It is the best help for just right BMs.

--------------------

Re: very good advice new
      #341529 - 02/01/09 07:01 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I tried a few months ago with just a 1/2tsp at first but I got Soooooo bloated from it. Is that normal? Does the bloating last?

Re: incompletes new
      #341868 - 02/09/09 03:09 PM
kiwi

I have been trialling the long pooping times for several days now, usually from 1/2 an hor to an hour. The funny thing is that I usually have a strong urge to go again within half an hour or so, but it has been my normal routine for several years to have at least 3 bms within the first 2 hours of the day, and it will take a long time to break that habit.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track with the acacia, but I am increasing the dosage every few days. I'm now up to a small tsp 4 times a day and will next start to have a regular size tsp and increase to 4 of those in time. My intention is to increase whenever I feel stabilised on the current intake, giving enough time to test that out.

At the risk of jinxing myself, I feel that there is a possibility that acacia could be beneficial for me in time. I say that after having spent so many thousands of dollars on supplements for my digestion.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 488 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review