All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bagels..
      #341226 - 01/26/09 12:30 PM
D.Huston

Reged: 09/11/08
Loc: Washington

I read the other day on a post from Syl that the Thomas plain bagels are not good for IBSers. I thought these were supposed to be okay... I was just wondering if there are better suggestions on brands or best place to find the right bagels (HFS or supermarket).

I eat bagels everyday, usually breakfast and lunch. I am not having major reactions to the Thomas kind however I do not want to leave it to chance and want to follow the EFI diet as close as possible!!!

Anyway, thank you to anyone that can help!!

--------------------
D.Huston

------------------------------
IBS-D - Gas/Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bagels.. new
      #341247 - 01/26/09 03:14 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Man, I hope bagels are OK
Thats part of my lunch around 1/2 of days

#341248 - 01/26/09 03:19 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I eat these bagels and do just fine.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Many bagels are okay but check the label new
      #341249 - 01/26/09 03:30 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Almost any bagel that does not contain sucralose, high fructose corn syrup or whole grains should be fine. Read the ingredients label before you buy.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#341250 - 01/26/09 03:30 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Me too... I even eat the small 100-cal. kind and eat them w/ applesauce to get SF in my "tummy" before eating anything else. I hope they are OK - other than the fact they are made from wheat and I really shouldn't have wheat! But, these don't seem to aggravate the allergy/food intolerance.

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#341253 - 01/26/09 06:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

1st National bagels are a grocery store brand that is safe (most flavors). They are in the dairy dept. It is better to go with those. Most of the ones in the bread aisle have HFCS or artificial sweeteners.
The thing with bagels is that they are very calorie dense, which is good for gaining weight but sometimes something heavy like that can make a person feel loagie and loaded down after eating. It is hard to do but is best to eat less than a whole bagel at one sitting. I'm not saying I do that but I know how I feel after eating too much at one time.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#341275 - 01/27/09 11:35 AM
D.Huston

Reged: 09/11/08
Loc: Washington

Thank you all! I will need to be more careful when shopping! It's still a little hard for me to remember to study the ingredients...

Thanks again!!

--------------------
D.Huston

------------------------------
IBS-D - Gas/Bloating

#341287 - 01/27/09 02:18 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

SO are the thomas bagels ok? I have the cinnamon ones. Thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Thomas Bagels are safe! new
      #342724 - 03/01/09 07:19 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I didn't see the thread you are referring to, but I eat Thomas bagels nearly every day. It is my current go-to snack when I have an empty stomach or just want a quick snack I can eat on the go. I eat the plain ones, although I occasionally eat the cinnamon swirl (no raisins) with a little sugar sprinkled on top. I think some people may be sensitive to cinnamon (not most people), but the plain ones are certainly safe! I can't imagine why they wouldn't be.

EDITED: I just read the thread I think you're talking about, which said that Thomas Bagels contain artificial sweetener. I get them all the time, and the package says "NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS" on it. Maybe the label that was referred to is outdated or maybe the ingredients are different in other countries (I'm in the U.S.).

Re: Thomas Bagels are safe! new
      #342725 - 03/01/09 07:32 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

In case you want to see, here is the ingredient list and nutrition facts from the package of Thomas plain bagels I've been munching on... No high fructose corn syrup, no artificial sweeteners, and high on the SF & protein! Definitely a winner!!

* Unbleached enriched wheat flour [flour, malted barley flour, reduced iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid]
* water
* sugar
* salt
* yeast
* cornmeal
* wheat gluten
* mono- and diglycerides
* preservatives (calcium propionate, sorbic acid)
* guar gum
* citric acid
* maltodextrin
* algin
* soy lecithin
* soy flour

Serving Size: 1 bagel (95g)
Calories: 260
Calories from fat: 20
Total fat: 2g
Saturated fat: 0.5g
Sodium 490mg
Total Carbohydrate: 51g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 6g
Protein: 9g

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4286

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review