All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Alternatives when your out to eat and traveling HELP!
      #341121 - 01/22/09 02:13 PM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I need a butter/ margarine alternative when your out to eat and traveling. Now at home I use Smart Balance light for my butter sub and its fine and tasty use it in all my cooking etc .
I am wary however to eat out or travel because I don't know what they are cooking with. ( of course I can ask but it be easier to say plain and add my own..
Also when you travel and want a baked potato, a bagel , toast or need to add butter to something what can you take with you. I wish they made Smart Balance light in little travel packets ( then you would only have to worry about keeping it cold)???
Are there any butter substitutes(Molly Mcbutter Flakes??) that can be put in the purse or travel bag so you can enjoy your vacation or meals out.

Is margarine and butter in small amounts really that harmful to everyone??

I have been eating on the diet since March and I am doing fab.. but I would like to start to try things in moderation to see what I can and cannot handle. I am getting really bored with food choices when I go out and stick to plain plain plain and would like just a little flavor here and there without pain though.. The thought of PAIN makes me stay PLAIN! It is affecting though my family/friends since they would like to go out to eat with me and I cant eat anything so i just don't go For fears I will get sick or have to sit there and watch them eat delicious food while I again get PLAIN Chicken Plain potato and a roll .

Has anyone done that and find that certain things are ok for them?

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

eating out sucks new
      #341132 - 01/22/09 05:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have come to the conclusion that eating out isn't worth it. Why get something plain and dry when you can have something good at home at a portion of the cost?
I recently went to a fancy restaurant I have been to before. I actually brought a little thing of Smart Balance Light to put on my bread and veg. The waiter caught me and asked about it. And hub and I got in a fight later over how I ordered from this annoying waiter, but it is so important to have no butter and limited oil! They usually don't have margarine at a restaurant. If they do I would say it may be ok to have some if the meal is low in fat. The little bit of dairy in it might be ok when you have to do your best at a restaurant.
To avoid dairy I tend to choose Asian restaurants or more Asian things at American restaurants. But the only place I feel safe is Noodles and Co. I have had a lot of bad experiences trying to eat low fat at restaurants.
A couple of Heather's suggestions that work well are:
take some pep caps before dinner
eat the bread brought to the table
have some acacia in tea before dinner
eat extra slowly
eat only half as much as you want
have some more tea when tempted with dessert
if they have sorbet go ahead and get some otherwise desserts are a no no

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: eating out sucks I second that! new
      #341142 - 01/23/09 06:15 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I get so upset when it comes to eating out. Me and ds recentley took are daughter to pizza hut for her birthday lunch and it was horrible to set there and watch them eat that pizza and my stomach growling all the time. I always bring my butter with me and my dressing. I only eat at place I know my stomach can handle like subway, olive garden, lonestar, Cracker Barrel places that I know that will have noodles or sweet poatoes or baked poatoes. It still bites watching everyone else oder what they want but I do know I won't be sick in a few hours the pain just not worth it. I to Get sick of the same places. Even when we go get grocerys or go to a movie I still have to eat out at the same places. hth
emmasmom
ibs c gas

Re: eating out sucks I second that! new
      #341178 - 01/23/09 07:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I only want to ever eat at Noodles and Co or Big Bowl; there is a Thai place I always used to like but I find it is too risky to really call it a safe restaurant for me. DH gets sick of Noodles but knows there isn't much else ok for me when we are shopping. If you have a Noodles or Big Bowl near you be happy though!
The other major problem we have is that my husband gives Sunday talks at other congregations/cities and someone generally takes us to lunch after. It is sometimes out and sometimes to their home. It scares me and really scares him to think I will get 'weird' and have a hard time being polite about the food situation. It is very difficult. I got some good advice recently though: Since I have the added problem of trying to not eat meat if possible, I asked an old friend who only eats fruits and veg what she does when going to someone's house. She said she makes it about the company/fellowship, and not about the food. I have started to think of it like this (not so much with close family who are being disrespectful when they still ignore your diet). I bring my own snacks ahead of time and just eat what I can and try to really enjoy the people's company.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Blech..Pizza Hut makes me nauseous not hungry new
      #341180 - 01/23/09 10:36 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

I cant do dairy either, but sitting in a Pizza Hut wouldnt depress me...walking down my old block in NY and smelling real pizza would and does depress me

Re: Alternatives when your out to eat and traveling HELP! new
      #341183 - 01/24/09 03:31 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

For butter subs.....I have used salsa (MILD) or ketchup (I realize it may have HFCS).

Good places for me are mexican (beans/rice) and corn tortilla (I can tolerate them). And it appeals to me taste wise-which can be rare.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 677 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review