All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stabilising tips?
      #340939 - 01/18/09 01:16 PM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I'm very familiar with the stabilising drill - restricting your diet to plain sf foods, rice, white bread etc., for a few days until you start to feel better. But what if this isn't working - how long should one keep up this restricted diet for? What tends to happen to me is that stress or leaving too long a gap between meals because I'm busy/out and about perpetuates my symptoms, even when i'm sticking strictly to the plain sf foods. So I don't get anywhere and then after a couple of days i think ok, i've just got to add in some vegetables and protein now for the sake of my health (and becaue i've got a fridge full of food, bought in all hopefulness that I'd be able to eat well this year). But perhaps i should ignore the nutrition thing for while longer and keep with the plain sf. I've probably posted something like this before and i'm sorry for repeating myself - guess i'm just looking for some words of encouragement or extra tips because after returning to Germany where I live, i'm back in that annoying cycle again where i can't seem to get rid of D. This comes after three happy, stable weeks at home over Christmas where i was eating a good, nutritionally varied diet. Sigh.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stabilising tips? new
      #340943 - 01/18/09 01:50 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am a bit confused. Are you following the Break the cycle of attacks for a short while to stablize?

If yes, then after sticking to foods like white rice, white breads, potatoes, etc. begin to incorporate meat, veggies and fruit as follows

Quote:

Begin to incorporate insoluble fiber foods - carefully! - by blending fresh fruit with soy or rice milk into smoothies, and blending cooked veggies into soups or pasta sauces. Have the smoothie with rice cereal or oatmeal, and the soup with rice or polenta. Try a bit of grilled fish or skinless chicken breast with your pasta/rice. Safe treats are the recipes for vanilla or chocolate puddings, peppermint fudge cake, banana cream pie. Keep your fat content very low and be extra careful with insoluble fiber. As you stay stable, you can expand to all the other IBS recipes, and just follow the general guidelines (still low fat, no triggers, careful with insoluble fiber) but you'll be back to a healthy diet overall and not just plain soluble fiber. You should always continue to make soluble fiber the basis of your diet, though, and have those foods as the foundation of your meals and snacks.

You may have to stick with the follow-on procedure for many weeks or months before moving on. How long have you followed this procedure?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#340954 - 01/18/09 04:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Being you have IBS D it is more important to be careful with IF. But you could figure out ways to eat IF foods in the safest way. If you want some veggies try making pureed soups, try fruit smoothies too, but stay away from the more difficult IF foods until you are stable. First try the SF veggies like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and mushrooms. Then try well-cooked spinach, peas, beans, asparagus- anything that can get pretty mushy but doesn't lead to cramps/gas like broccoli and onion and cabbage.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#340968 - 01/18/09 06:18 PM
Sweetfudge

Reged: 03/13/06
Loc: Utah

One thing I noticed when I first started the diet is that even when I ate all "safe foods" I was still getting sick occasionally. I narrowed it down, and figured out that my body cannot tolerate potatoes (which I had been eating at almost every meal). So see if you notice any patterns w/ what you're eating.

--------------------
Sweetfudge

Diagnosed w/ celiac disease June 2006, and started gluten free diet.
Stopped eating dairy June 2008.
Started IBS diet October 2008.
Diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in 2008 and lost 45 unwanted lbs!

#340988 - 01/19/09 12:50 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Hi, thankyou all of you for your replies, I so appreciate your suggestions. I think I am going to get more into blended food! And perhaps a particular sf food is actually causing me problems, the white bread maybe - i'll experiment. Syl, in answer to your question, yes i'm referring to Heather's Break the Cycle advice. I follow the EFI diet all the time and have done for about five years, ever since i was first diagnosed really, but sometimes my tummy just seems to get super sensitive and even a few days of pure sf isn't apparently doing any good - it's like my body gets into this cycle and doesn't want to get out of it, it's stubborn! But i start to incorporate the other things anyway (the veggies, fish etc.) partly out of boredom, even though my tummy is probably not ready to take them, so the D just continues.
I'm starting a yoga class this week so maybe that might help with stress issues, here's hoping
Cheers again people for your help

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review