Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Finally!
      #340594 - 01/08/09 02:56 PM
4mar

Reged: 01/08/09
Loc: Van Nuys, California

Hi,
My name is Mary and I have been suffering with IBS on and off for many years, but was told there was nothing that could be done. Then within the last 3 years my IBS got so bad the doctors first thought I needed to have my gallbladder removed. Just days before the surgery, I was told they didn't think it was my gallbladder - so after many test I was told it was IBS. I never had experienced it this bad. I would have extremely bad cramps that knocked the breath out of me and would double up with pain. This would be followed by D almost instantly. So it affected my work, social life, everything. I would often not eat so I could go to work. I could only eat rice and chicken broth forever, was put on medication and slowly with the help of a nutritionist was able to eat boiled chicken, rice, mango. I lost 50 lbs. The IBS calmed down about a year ago. Now it is back - almost as bad because I started a diet that (not known to me) was filled with fiber and sugars that made me sooo sick! I had to stop the diet. I was at the store today - so angry that I couldn't eat anything and I was sick and tired of the same old food. When I got home I was checking the web for lists of foods I might be able to eat when I came across this website. What a blessing!!! I've read almost everything on this site and am excited for the first time in a long time.
This all makes so much sense to me now. I can't wait to start using this new information and the recipes. Thanks for listening (or reading). Although friends and family are trying to be helpful, they have no idea what I go through.
I feel so much better,
Mary

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Finally! new
      #340612 - 01/09/09 09:05 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I'm so happy for you. I felt as frustrated as you four years ago. I remember thinking OMG when is the next stomache ache going to happen, can I go this party without worrying, can I take my kids to the movies without worrying etc. I had the oppossite problem. I COULDN'T GO! One time I went for six weeks without a BM and then I started bleeding! The dr. told me I had a tear in my colon and put me on a High Fiber diet Yikes! No need to give you the details there. Finaly one night I was sent to the hospital with what my Dr. was sure was appendisites but the films showed that my appendix was so small they had a hard time finding it. I happend to be in touch with a nutritionist, who told me to research IBS on line and that's how I found this site. It TOTALY CHANGED MY LIFE. I hardly ever have an attack, and even when I do the fear is no longer there becuase I can usualy figure out why I had it. (High stressfull situatios, or overeating the wrong thing etc)

Your life is about to change for the better! Good luck. Enjoy the new food. Try the recipe for anti depressent brownies. They are AMAZING!

Chany

#340614 - 01/09/09 09:15 AM
4mar

Casper
Thank you so much for responding and sharing your story. It is amazing how much IBS can affect your life. I appreciate the support and encouragement. Did you start this diet completely or slowly introducing products, etc? I started with a small dose of Metamucil because I had it already. I'm concerned about the sucrose in it. Just ordered Heather's Acacia Tummy Fiber. Has it helped you?
Mary

#340618 - 01/09/09 11:09 AM
Casper

I kind of started gung hoe because I was so sick of being sick! There is a section on this web site on what to eat when you can't eat anything. If you want to start slow you can start with that. My daughter was just unoficcialy diagnosed. An x-ray showed that she is so backed up the dr. wants to totaly clean her out before we even discuss diet. So we are using mirilax (which I don't recommend unless you are desperate as last time it gave her explosive diharea (sorry for being so descriptive).

Also I found that psychologicaly, focusing on crafts and good TV helped me when I was feeling yucky. The less I focused on food the better off I was.
I bake alot so that I always have safe treats around when I get peckish.
Do you like to bake and cook?
Hope this helps.
Chany

#340670 - 01/10/09 03:48 PM
4mar

Hi again,
Baking and cooking are not my favorite things to do, but since my IBS and being on Weight Watchers, I now am trying out simple recipes. I started using a little Metamucil as a soluble - a little at the beginning as recommended. I order the Acacia Fiber. What do you take?
I guess when I asked about starting out slowly, I meant not too many changes. I am only eating a few foods that I know don't cause flare ups. I was worried about incorporating veggies and other foods into my diet too quickly. When I get attacks they are very bad! Sometimes I have just not eaten because I was too afraid I would get sick at work or at a meeting.
I bought mint tea, too. I want to try that. What recipes do you like?

I am a teacher and love teaching. I, too, am into crafts. I use to make my own cards with a friend of mine. Then we got into scrapbooking, then quilting. I also got into jewelry making and making glass beads. I also enjoy gardening and reading and some good TV shows.
Thank you so much for sharing with me. I was so desperate until I found this site. I'm afraid of taking risks because I might get sick so I am cautious.
I hope your daughter is doing better. I know what it is like to have explosive D because that is what I have when I get sick - as well as bloating and terrible cramping.
You have really been helpful. Stay in touch if you feel like it.
Thanks again,
Mary

#340673 - 01/10/09 04:58 PM
Casper

Hi Mary.

My daughter is doing fine Thank G-d the Mirilax is working and her dr. is hoping for a mass exidos this weekend.

Which foods are you tolerating now? Start with a few things that you know you can eat and add new food at a time. If you get sick, you'll be able to pin it down to the new food.

If you go to the recipe exchange you can probably find a safe recipe for just about anything. Here is my favorite

Brownies – Antidepressant

¾ c. cocoa
½ tsp. Baking soda
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. apple sauce
½ c. boiling water
2 c. sugar
4 egg whites
1 1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. Vanilla

1. preheat oven to 350
2. mix ingredients one at a time mixing between each one
3. pour into greased 9" pan
4. bake 350 for 35 – 40 minutes

I actually make it in muffin tins (bake for 25 minutes) so that I can grab them and take them to work. I teach too. I'm the art teacher at my kids' school.

I would say that I like to scrapbook but that would be a total understatement! I'm completely addicted to paper! My friends go to Star Bucks for thier lattes and frappachinos, but I go to michaels for stickers and paper punches. I also like to make cards and paper bead jewelry. Do you know about Etsy?
I have to go. It's my friend's birthday and a bunch of us are taking her out (thank g-d not for food or drinks - we're going to a ceramics place). Keep in touch. Let me know how it goes with the food.

#340687 - 01/11/09 09:03 AM
4mar

Hi Casper,
Thanks for the advice. I am taking it slow. It's not worth the pain. What do you think of the peppermint pills? I read one IBS article that advised small amounts of peppermint. I wasn't sure if the peppermint pills were to strong.
The recipe sounds wonderful, unfortunately I'm allergic to chocolate!
I have tons of paper! So much I don't know what to do with it all. Would you like some? I haven't been scrap booking lately and have tried to reduce the amount of things I've accumulated. I gave my niece a lot of stamps, etc. You are welcome to it if you want.
I don't know what Etsy is. What is it?
Keep in touch. Thanks for everything.
Mary

#340692 - 01/11/09 10:17 AM
Casper

Hi Mary,

I personally don't do too well with mint because I had an ulcer a few years back and even though it is healed it sometimes acts up to soicy, sharp and minty things. Friday I was feeling confident and had a tiny glass of low acid OJ and pow! I felt it burning for the rest of the day.
NO CHOCOLATE! I'm so sorry. This recipe is nice though:
Bread – Pumpkin Date Harvest

1 ¾ c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. cloves
1/3 c. soy or rice milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. canola oil
4 organic egg whites
2 c. canned pumpkin
1 tbsp. vanilla
½ c. finely chopped dates

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Stir flour baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & cloves
3. Wisk until blended
4. In a small bowl stir together milk & vinegar and set aside
5. In another bowl beat egg with brown sugar add pumpkin & vanilla
6. Beat in milk & add the dry ingredients
7. fold in dates & pour into a sprayed loaf pan.
8. Bake for an hour & cool on rack.
it also came from this web site.

Thanks for the offer but I am currently drowning in art supplies. Etsy.com is sort of an online artist colony where you can shop, talk to other artists. watch vidoes on the blog and I think they also have on line live demos in the "labs". If you line to make stuff but have no room to keep all the stuff you make you can open a store for free and try to sell your work. The store is free but you have to pay 20 cents for every item you put in it. I love just going on the site and exploring the blog.

I enjoy baking when I have the time but sometimes it's a pain. Today I baked bread with my daughters and now my kitchen is a disaster area. I'm procrastinating the cleanup.

How are you feeling today?

Chany

#340709 - 01/12/09 06:54 AM
4mar

Hi Chany,
Thanks for the pumpkin recipe. I'll definitely try it. Sorry about the OJ incident. I have acid reflux so know how painful that can be. Currently I'm on medication for it, but still stay away from acidic foods.
I'm excited about going to Etsy. How fun!
I am feeling pretty good. I am still restricting my diet. I thought I would introduce one thing at a time. I bought some tofu and plain soy milk in order to try some recipes.
Do you use the IBS diet for your family? It seems like a very healthy way of eating.
School begins for me today, so must go. By the way, how did your outing with friends go? Make anything fun?
Hope you are feeling well, too.
Mary

#340736 - 01/12/09 07:27 PM
Casper

Hi Mary,

The outimg was fun. We went to Sieze The Clay and I made a wine holder for my Husband. It's really cool You place the center hole over the wine bottle and the outside has grooves to hold four wine glasses.

I didn't put my whole family on the diet but in general when I bake I usually make safe foods. My family likes what I bake anyway so they don't care. I've learned how to convert recipes to make them safe so I can still make everyones faves. But I still shop for the packaged snacks and dairy things that they like.

Did you check out Etsy? I'm a total addict!
Yesterday I went to Michael's for their After Christmas sale and everything was 50 - 75 percent off. I stocked up for next chanukah and also got some cool beads and a cartload of stuff for my classroom. It was so much fun!

I had a hot dog tonight. I know it was stupid but I love them. Now I have heart burn so I'm going to bed amd my husband and I are going to watch CSI Miami.

Feel good!

Chany

#340788 - 01/13/09 06:10 PM
4mar

Hi Chany,
Sorry for the delay in responding. Couldn't tear myself away from Etsy! Was almost late for school today because I checked it out this morning. Then, again when I came home from school. Totally awesome! If you don't hear from me for a while, you can probably find me at Etsy!!!
Hope you are feeling better. Hot dogs!! Hope you enjoyed it before it got you back. Sometimes I eat something I know I shouldn't have, like chocolate! It's hard not to have some fun once in a while.
Your wine holder sounds great. What fun. I'll have to look into something like that out here in CA. We use to have places we could make different things. They ruined my first and only item I made. It was just a sugar bowl. Nothing special, but I got mad because I took the time to make it and was excited to get it back glazed - and - nothing. Oh, well. It's time to try again because it was fun.
Hope you are feeling well. Oh, and if you have any ideas about Valentine's projects or gift for my students, please share.
Take good care of yourself,
Mary

#340834 - 01/14/09 07:56 PM
Casper

Hi Mary,

So I got you hooked! It's alot of fun, but I do try to limit myself during the week because of school.
It's crazy for me at work now. The first graders are going to receive their payer books next month and before that I have to meet with each of their parents so they can create a handmade book cover. (It's really special. After all the books are covered the first grade puts on a play and then recieves the book with the cover their parents made ... wow I remember making my kids books...how fast they grow...OK mushy memory time over) The PTA has a silent auction to raise money for the school and I need to do projects with all the students to auction off - That's next month too... needless to say It's going to be a busy two weeks.

Vanetines huh! I personally don't celebrate valentines day but if you go to Familyfun.com (another fave website) they have tons of ideas. (I love the lolipop valentines the best)
I'm still out of sorts a bit but I don't think it's from the hot dog. I think it's the stress and I'll feel alot better when my life gets back on a normal schedule. It's good stress though because I love my job.
Ceramics shops are awesome. We take our kids there every time someone in the family gets married so they can make wedding presents. Anyway the wine holder will be ready on Friday so I'll pick it up over the weekend and we'll see...
This was actually the first time I was there without my kids.
OK I have to go read my son's book report and then get some sleep.
Feel Good.
Chany

#340929 - 01/17/09 05:57 PM
4mar

Hi Chany,
Sorry for taking so long to respond. My mother called to let me know my brother was moving in with me the next day with all his stuff and life went crazy for a while. I haven't felt very good myself for a couple of days and know it wasn't what I ate. . . . so it has to be stress because I had plenty of it. I hope you are feeling better by now. STRESS is pretty dangerous stuff.
I spent the day with a very good friend of mine and when we just sat down and talked, I realized I was feeling a lot better - physically and emotionally.
How did your wine rack turn out? It sounds so cool. Your schedule for work sounds overwhelming. I'm so glad you enjoy your work because that makes all the difference in the world. I'm going to check out family fun. I just haven't had time to yet. Maybe I should wait until I have a "few hours" if it is a great as Etsy.
Take good care of yourself,
Talk soon,
Mary

#340931 - 01/17/09 09:30 PM
Casper

Hi Mary,

Wow. You are a really good sister! I don't know how I would handle a sudden change like that. Is he at least helpful around the house? I'm glad you're feeling better. Sometimes all you need is to hang out with those that love you.
I had a little tiff with a friend of mine this morning and then binged on "safe" cake, but I think I ate to much. The fight is over, everything is fine now but I am SO FULL!
My teenager is dealing with her very first round of Mid-Terms so I kind of have to put my stressing out over work on the back burner while I make her hot cocoa and calm her nerves and explain to her that even if she fails a Mid term its not the end of the world. (She's not going to fail but she can be kind of a drama queen)So last night at dinner she told me that she wants to go see Bride Wars and my DH said "Mommy will take you if you do well on you Mid Terms" but I winked and told her I'd take her even if she didn't, no matter what we'll have a girls nite out to celebrate the end of Mid Terms. (Do you sneak safe snacks into the movie theater when you go? I totally do every time. I love my big pink shiny purse!)
I haven't gone on etsy this week because I know that I dont have the time, but come February I think I'll totally indulge.
So I got the February issue of family fun and they had a whole article on valentines. Some of them were really cute!
OK let's see what I remember...
Oh one was called "rock candy" It was a box of valentine hearts ( you know the candy ones with messages on them) the box was painted like an ipod and she attatched a string as the wire and two mini peanut butter cups as the ear phones.
Then there we the ones called "get to the point" they were pencils with little flag messages attatched to them with messages on them that said things like "your the write one for me"
There was also a necklace made with heart shaped candies wrapped in a long peice of saran wrap and then the two ends were tied together with a bow.
Well I have to go. It's time for CSI again (I know my DH and I are kind of addicted).
Have a good night. Feel good.
Chany

#340932 - 01/18/09 08:07 AM
4mar

Hi Chany,
My brother has lots of problems, but he can be helpful around the house. He is with my mom today, but will be coming here in a day or two. I have to not stress out about it or I'll be sick all the time. I'm really trying to keep my IBS under control. Have you given up coffee? I haven't yet because it really helps me wake up and get going in the morning. However, I think it is upsetting my stomach. I'm trying to only drink half a cup in the morning. That is the only time I drink coffee. I don't know if I could go without it completely.
I try not to eat very too much at each meal, but eat more often during the day. This really help me not get too full. I know how much eating too much can feel - not very good! Hope you are feeling better.
You are such a good mom! What a wonderful message you are giving your daughter. Life is too full of difficulties and Mid-Terms are not worth falling apart over. I see too many kids getting so stressed and upset - like it is the end of the world over tests. And girls' night out is so special. What a great mom you are!
I do sneak snacks into theaters. However, I haven't been to a movie theater in years. I don't know why. When my nieces and nephews were younger and came to visit, we went to the movies a lot.
Thank you for the great Valentine's ideas. I think I'll try the ipod. I think all my students will enjoy that - since I have K - 8th grade. What a great idea!
Regarding CSI - I watch it all the time! Even the reruns! I love it - especially CSI Los Vegas.
Here is my email address if you want to contact me that way.
codstri@sbcglobal.net.
Have a wonderful weekend and stay well!
Mary

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5377

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review