Pages: 1
Peanut butter and spreads
      #340451 - 01/05/09 10:53 AM
mikeyp58

Reged: 08/09/07
Loc: UK

Hi all,

Just a couple of questions:

I am going to undertake a new diet but peanut butter is mentioned as one ingredient. Is there a suitable substitute I could use?

I note that on the 'trigger' food lists it includes 'spreads' etc and wondered if it would be safe to use a spread here in the UK that does not include dairy, soya etc.
It lists the ingredients it does not have:

* Dairy
* Artificial colourings & preservatives
* Added flavourings
* Soya
* Gluten
* Hydrogenated oils
* GM ingredients

It is made with sunflower oil.
Can anyone advice if this would be better as a spread on bread?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

--------------------
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT :-)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peanut butter and spreads new
      #340452 - 01/05/09 10:56 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

What is the fat content of the spread? That's really the most important thing, besides making sure it excludes trigger foods.

--------------------
IBS-C

#340454 - 01/05/09 11:04 AM
mikeyp58

Thanks for the reply Fen.

Just checked the site and the fat content is 67g (to 100g) - 15g saturated at 100g.

Not good really. I just thought the ingredients would help.

Thanks

--------------------

I'm from the UK new
      #340455 - 01/05/09 12:28 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Hi Mike
I'm from the UK also the spread you are describing sounds like the one I use, is it 'Pure' spread? I use it all the time and I'm fine with it, I just tend to use it sparingly, just literally kind of show it the bread or whatever else I'm putting it on. Just be sparing with it and you should have no problems.
Hope that helps!

Re: I'm from the UK new
      #340464 - 01/05/09 03:04 PM
mikeyp58

Hi susieannah,

Yes the spead is 'Pure' - I wasn't sure if you could advertise products (albeit not for gain) on the site.

I take note of what you say - and use is sparingly.

My new 'diet' consists of a piece of morning toast and peanut butter which is why I queried the peanut butter and looked for alternative spreads such as pure.
Dry toast doesn't seem very appealing.

Thanks for the advice. Same as always though - try it and if it hurts, don't bother with it. I will use it sparingly though.

--------------------

#340471 - 01/05/09 05:38 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

All nut spreads are very similar, whether peanut, almond, sunflower, sesame... They are high in fat but a smear on fat free toast or tortilla or apples and graham crackers (favorite for hiking) is safe. Make sure it is just a bit; do the math if necessary to figure out how much you can have. By increasing the non fat calories (like your toast) you can somewhat increase the fat and keep the fat percentage acceptable. But always eat a SF non fat carby thing with fatty things like nut butters.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#340521 - 01/06/09 04:02 PM
mikeyp58

Thanks for the help and advice.

The smooth peanut butter I eventually chose has less fat than the two spreads I checked out - Pure and Vitalite - and as yet today no reaction whatsoever.

No pain or bloating at all on the first day of my diet after three small meals. I even had my first (peeled) apple in years! Hope it lasts!

--------------------

#349352 - 08/23/09 05:34 PM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

How about this one:

NoNuts Golden Peabutter
Peas (golden brown), vegetable oil (canola oil), icing sugar (contains corn starch), hydrogenated vegetable oil (rapeseed, canola, cottonseed oils), monoglycerides from vegetable oil.

Fal- 5 g (8% DV= when we are talking about % look at the %DV, right??) in one tbsp.

Does this sound good? It is gluten, peanut, and soy free. (I'm allergic to legumes). I'm trying to avoid fructose too b/c I'm suspicious of fructose absorption. Do any of those ingredients look like they would be a problem? Is the fat content ok? I'm planning on putting 1 tbsp on two slices of white rice bread.

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349402 - 08/24/09 06:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

What kind of peas are in it? aren't all peas legumes? Can't you get sunbutter instead?
I avoid hydrogenated oils but they are not worse for IBS than any other fat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2829 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review