All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
does anyone know the answers to these poop questions?
      #340015 - 12/25/08 07:05 PM

Unregistered

when you eat something,is most of it made into poop? Or is it really broken down and harldy any of it is poop? how long does it take to digest one meal and make poop out of it?
How many pounds of poop are inside the body? I looked for answers on goodle,but couldn't find them.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: does anyone know the answers to these poop questions? new
      #340017 - 12/26/08 04:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Most of what you eat is digested except for a few things such as insoluble and soluble fiber. It takes about 40-70 hours for food to pass from your mouth until the undigested food and other material pass as feces. Besides undigested foods a stool consists mostly of dead bacteria from the large bowel, mucus and dead cells from the intestine.

Here are links to a description of the digestive system and an animated video. You can find more information if you search for 'digestive system' using google.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#340038 - 12/26/08 01:25 PM

Unregistered

Would eating less cause less stool? I do eat lots of sf..and if..I do need to eat less food,though as I would like to be smaller..so then I'd have less waste in my body,right? Do you think ppl with ibs have more stool because they have ibs? like lots more mucus or dead bacteria?

#340041 - 12/26/08 02:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IBS does not increase the amount of feces. Trying to change the amount of feces you produce will do relatively little to change your weight or size. IBS symptoms may be misguiding your attention to focus on stools however you may be better off focusing on a healthy diet and proper exercise.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#340045 - 12/26/08 10:00 PM

Unregistered

thanks! ok,but I mean does eating less food generally decress the amount of feces..your body doesn't have to work as much to digest food,so then they'rd be less,right?

#340170 - 12/29/08 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sure the less you eat the less you poop, except that a lot of fiber increases the amount. I am not ashamed to say I poop a lot! But it makes me know I am functioning correctly. The amount isn't as important as, well the texture. For those who don't get enough fiber their stool is sticky and doesn't pass through effectively. Watch "You Are What You Eat" on BBC for lots of info on 'poo'.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1975

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review