All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Probiotic Yogurt Helps Reduce Physical Bloating 12/16/08 11:40 AM
      #339566 - 12/18/08 07:44 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Heather posted this article in the "IBS Research Library" on 12/16. Has anyone tried with any success???

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotic Yogurt Helps Reduce Physical Bloating 12/16/08 11:40 AM new
      #339567 - 12/18/08 07:53 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I just read the article. I have not tried it, but I think it would be a good idea to start trying it. It does say it may take a few weeks to "kick in" but if it helps, why not try it? Take it for a test drive.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

A conundrum new
      #339569 - 12/18/08 08:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The probiotic used in the fermented milk (Activia) yogurt was Bifidobacterium lactis. And the study was done by Whorwell's group in the UK - one of the world's leading research and treatment centers for IBS. The findings reported in this study are consistent with a recently published review on probiotic efficacy which showed that Bifidobacterium species are beneficial for IBS management - in particular the control of gas, bloating and distension (reference below).

The difficulty we have with discussing how beneficial we find yogurt is that it is a dairy product. Heather's posting yesterday indicated she can't allow discussions about dairy. This is a conundrum

Reference
R. Spiller, 2008: Review article: probiotics and prebiotics in irritable bowel syndrome. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 28, 385-396.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339570 - 12/18/08 08:47 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Whether it's dairy or not, probiotics are good for you. Even with IBS. I take a supplement every day and have found that The L.Acidopholus probiotic helps some to restore the natural Flora of the gut. Actually, my GI doctor told me not to eat dairy EXCEPT Activia. How weird is that? Maybe it is a conundrum, but Heather obviously knows what she is talking about. In my opinion, the dairy she is referring to is MILK and MILK CHEESES and WHOLE EGGS, etc.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#339571 - 12/18/08 08:51 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

My girlfriend tried the activa for two weeks to help with her gas and bloating and boy does she has gas and bloating!!!
She said it really does work but takes two weeks to show any benefit.For me I take acidophilous pills instead,Ithought I was lactose intolerant for so many years only to discover it was really IBS.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#339574 - 12/18/08 09:01 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

The difficulty we have with discussing how we beneficial we find yogurt is that it is a dairy product. Heather's posting yesterday indicated she can't allow discussions about dairy. This is a conundrum

I found this article through another source this morning, and posted a question about it (for the very same reason Syl mentions) on a different discussion board. I am also confused now – are we not allowed to discuss this study here? I also wanted to know if someone's tried it and whether or not it was effective; at the same time, I did not want to break the board's rules so I went elsewhere.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

BS new
      #339615 - 12/18/08 04:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

When I mentioned to my GI doctor that the commercials for Activia bothered me he was completely in agreement and 100% against getting probiotics by consuming dairy. Taking probiotics without dairy is easy and the only way to go! For those without IBS and have no sensitivity to dairy I suppose they might as well eat Activia but it is like taking a little medicine in a glass of poison to IBS sufferers!
If the average person just increased their fiber intake they wouldn't need Activia. I see people at my work (grocery store) that buy total junk food (pizza rolls, pop, chips, hamburger helper, mac n cheese) and then throw in a few cups of Activia!!! It is ridiculous. Everyone wants the easy way out of everything instead of eating healthy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: BS new
      #339618 - 12/18/08 05:28 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Little Minnie

The study was not done by Danone. It was done by an independent internationally recognized IBS research group.

The senior author of the Activia study did the original ground breaking research on soluble fiber, gut directed hypnotherapy and the Align probiotic that many on this board benefit from today. He is the director of one of the world's leading IBS treatment and research center in the UK. The study concluded "This is the first study to demonstrate that a probiotic [Bifidobacterium lactis in fermented milk] preparation can reduce objectively measured distension in female patients with IBS-C. It also supports the concept that accelerating gastrointestinal transit might be a good target for future therapeutic approaches aimed at improving distension in IBS."

With the credentials and track record these researcher have their claims that Activia works helps some IBS suffers manage their symptoms will be paid attention to by many people. Sorry to see you dismissing it without consideration for how it might benefit some of your fellow IBS suffers.

Yet again we are going to have to agree to disagree

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339621 - 12/18/08 06:50 PM
Rogue

Reged: 01/27/08
Loc: Ottawa, Canada

I read this and also wanted to ask if anyone tried it and if it helped with IBS D or A, i use to eat activia all the time before starting the diet and never linked it to any of my attacks but quit taking it to follow the diet... but i would love to take it again... again i wasn't sure if i could ask this as again this is a dairy question...

--------------------
IBS-A mostly D, Emetaphobic, GAD

#339631 - 12/18/08 09:22 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Dragonfly...interesting about your friend. I tried it before but only for a few days so I wonder if really sticking to it for two weeks would help...I might give it another shot - sometime .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1882 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review