All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Methylcellulose / pure generic Citrucel?
      #339523 - 12/17/08 07:31 AM
yeltom

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: Austin, TX

I use a lot of acacia fiber, but sometimes it doesn't prevent constipation or gas. Or perhaps it causes the gas; I'm not sure. Anyway, I've had okay luck substituting Citrucel every once in a while, but I can't stand the sugar and other nonsense in the product (sugar free version is even worse). And of course I don't like paying the premium for a trademarked (patented?) version. Methylcellulose is apparently an extremely common gum in the food industry, but I can't seem to find an appropriate food-grade version that's aimed at the consumer as opposed to the food industry. Can anyone recommend one? Heather, if you're listening, perhaps you could take advantage of this and offer it along with your acacia. Thank you.

Edited by yeltom (12/17/08 12:58 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Methylcellulose / pure generic Citrucel? new
      #339539 - 12/17/08 02:13 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

When you say you cannot find methyl cellulose for the consumer do you mean you cannot find a place to buy small bulk quantities? You can buy it and other food grade gums/thickeners on-line from in 2 oz and 1 lbs quantities from here. There are probably other small bulk vendors. The Dow Methocel Food Products division sells a variety of methyl cellulose products. There is a list of their US distributors given for each state here. The distributor in you area may be able to tell you who sells small bulk quantities.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339580 - 12/18/08 10:01 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

If you find any info on it...please post. I take citrucel religiously every night, but also hate the sugar in it but put up with it because I can't stand the sugar-free one.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#370283 - 09/23/13 11:06 PM
Alex55

Reged: 09/23/13

I have found some pure forms on a site called willpowder.com that is geared towards cooking. I ordered it, and will follow up after I have tried it. I cannot use citrucel because I have IC and the citrate is bad for me.

#370284 - 09/24/13 07:28 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Yes...please let us know....They used to make a Citrucel smoothie that did not have the sugar or sugar substitute...after they discontinued it, my options were gone. I, too, can't stand the sugar or sugar free options and the fake orange taste

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#371771 - 12/27/14 09:42 PM
eisaachsen

Reged: 03/20/07
Loc: northern VA, USA

There are 6 different varieties of methylcellulose on this site...which one did you get? Anyone know which one is the same as that used in Citrucel?

--------------------
IBS-C, gas, bloating
female, age 48

#371772 - 12/27/14 10:31 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

On the site we're posting on speaking about soluble fibers:
http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp

#371781 - 12/29/14 09:35 AM
eisaachsen

Reged: 03/20/07
Loc: northern VA, USA

Thanks for the link, but I've been there, done that. In my post I was referring to the site willpowder.com. It has 6 different versions of methylcellulose; I was wondering which one was used in Citrucel or closest to it. Have tried all the other soluble fibers including acacia but they all cause gas, bloating and cramping even in small amounts. Methylcellulose is supposed to be inedible to both human and gut bacteria, so I'd like to try it. Haven't because all of the crap in Citrucel and even in the generic equivalents.

--------------------
IBS-C, gas, bloating
female, age 48

Edited by eisaachsen (12/29/14 09:37 AM)

Re: eisaachsen and Others: Methylcellulose/pure generic Citrucel?/or their CAPLETS new
      #371783 - 12/29/14 01:35 PM
sgcray

Don't want the sugar or the artificial sugar (which we're not to have on this diet anyway), the irritating citric acid or the awful flavoring?;Then why wouldn't you do a caplet form people?:
citrucel caplets or...Equate generic (Says compare to citrucel caplets and is Walmart's generic brand).
I hope this helps alot. BTW, folks on Amazon were REALLY ticked off about the Citrucel Smoothie and the Citrucel Clear not being available. FAQ Sounds like same form of methylcellulose as their loose powders.

Re: eisaachsen and Others: Methylcellulose/pure generic Citrucel?/or their CAPLETS new
      #371784 - 12/29/14 06:29 PM
sgcray

6.73/100 caps from your local walmart without shipping is better than citrucel's 11.46/100 caps there. Although 1 bottle would only last 2.5 days for as many grams as I've been taking of acacia powder which is MUCH cheaper from Heather on this site, unless one found they could take less comparatively:
walmart's equate brand of methylcellulose SHOWS ALL INGREDIENTS: See the "read more" pull down. On Amazon, someone said their physical Walmart store was always running out of it.

Citrucel's website said you can 1/2 their caplets if needed to better swallow them if I remember right. All in all, I still appreciate that acacia on this site is a slow fermenting pre-biotic (unique from other fast fermenting prebiotics that are very gassy) to feed the good bacteria and I know makes your stools sweeter and less foul.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 938 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15977

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review