All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Align
      #339492 - 12/16/08 04:24 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Does anyone know if Align can change you bowel patterns in the initial break-in phase? I have been on it for close to a week, and today I had some changes in my normal patterns and I don't know if I like it or not. I want to give it a fair trial to work though, so I don't want to stop taking it too quickly, and it is very expensive. If this phase passes and things get better, then I want to continue with it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Lynn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Align new
      #339494 - 12/16/08 04:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was on it for around 6 months (?) and had no effects what so ever. Although I might have forgotten something. It was almost a year ago. I think the box said it could change bowel habits, mine were not though.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339496 - 12/16/08 04:34 PM
osbo54

Thanks Minnie. Did it help you at all?

#339501 - 12/16/08 05:41 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I don't take Align because it is not available in Canada. I take Life Start which like Align contains only one probiotic - Bifidobacterium infantis. Also, it is much less expensive.

I found Life Start changed my bowel habits with in a few days. If you check the Align FAQ you will see it say "in the early stages of Align use, you may notice some changes from what you are used to as part of the adjustment phase on the path towards normal digestive health. For example, you may notice that your stool changes from a soft stool to a more formed stool, or experience different signals it is time to go. This is normal, and is a clear sign that Align is working to balance your system".

Over the long term I find it significantly decreases bloating and pain. And it is not a placebo effect

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339503 - 12/16/08 06:04 PM
osbo54

Hey Syl,

I did read that about the adjustment phase, but I was concerned about having some D in the afternoon today, after being on it 5 days. I very seldom have D, I am mostly C, and if I am going to have D, it is only in the AM. I kind of run my life by knowing that I need my mornings to feel out the stomach. If I don't have any problems in the first 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then I know I will just be my usual C for the day.

Now, I am bothered by having this afternoon D. It wasn't a lot, but enough that had I been out, I would have been running to the john. I am in pain from the gas/bloating in my upper abdominal region, which I can deal with...I am used to it. I am hoping that bout of D this afternoon had to do with the Align, and not any other changes. I honestly don't know how people with constant D leave their homes. It makes me very anxious. Now, this will be on my mind when I am out, this surprise afternoon D. I will wonder, will it happen again? Jeez! So, I am not sure whether I want to continue with the Align.

I know, long post, as usual, but I am distressed because I missed my grandson's Xmas concert. Damn! I would have been alright, but I was afraid to go.

Well anyway, do you have any info on the possibility of Align causing some light D?

Thanks
Lynn

#339504 - 12/16/08 06:16 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Lynn

They do say "You may notice some adjustments as your body adjusts to healthy digestive balance. This is normal and a sign that Align is beginning to work with your digestive system." This is the closest they come to saying there are other GI adjustments going on too. I had a look at a couple of the published studies. Unfortunately they are quite vague to about the type of bowel habit changes one might experience during the break-in phase. I think it is worth sticking with it for at least a few more days.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339505 - 12/16/08 06:21 PM
osbo54

Thanks Syl for listening and your scientific mind. You are certainly left-brained, aren't you?
Just kiddin with you.

I will stick with it for a couple more days and see what happens.

Lynn

No -nt new
      #339545 - 12/17/08 04:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Did not help me either new
      #339578 - 12/18/08 09:54 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I tried it for 4 weeks. At the beginning I was taking it with an antibiotic because i had a cold. I thought the antibiotic was giving me D. However the D continued for the next 3 weeks while on Align. My D was MUCH worse than my "normal D". lol. Extreme urgency, I couldn't wait more than 2 minutes or hold anything in. They were always liquid rather than formed. My Dr. said it was unusual for me to have that reaction though.
A few days after I stopped the align, i got back to my "normal D" or lots of loose bms.
hth!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: Did not help me either new
      #339593 - 12/18/08 12:09 PM
osbo54

That is strange, because it is supposed to help the urgency. Maybe the D was caused by a round of antibiotics, and it took your system that long to heal. I know if I have to take antibiotics (which I rarely do), I take acidophilus along with them. It could have been coincidental that you were taking the Align at that time. But, you know your body and it very well could have been the Align.

The jury is still out for me. This first week I have been in pain. Not spasms or cramps, as I don't get those, but my stomach is hard as a rock and it just aches so bad. I did have a bit of D in the afternoon, which is way out of the norm for me, but maybe that is just the adjustment period. I really do want to give it a fair trial, even if I am uncomfortable for awhile. Actually, today my stomach is not quite as hard and achy, and I seemed to have expelled quite a bit of gas. I think I will try to stick with it for the month and then reevaluate to decide if I want to go with it for another month. After all, I am not going to pay almost $33 for a 28 day supply if it's not working.

You know, I may go back to daily acidophilus if Align doesn't work. I have never tried that on a continuous basis, and it does help when I do take it.

Lynn

#339598 - 12/18/08 12:31 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Osbo--
just for another opinion. I started Align in July of 07. The first 8 weeks were horrible. Lots of gas and bloating and irregular BMs. HOWEVER, after that initial time it was a fantastic supplement for me. Now, I'm IBS-A so I deal with both D and C on a regular basis. It significantly helped me. I took align for well over a year. I finally stopped it a few months ago when I felt stable enough. It is a bit pricy, and I seem to be doing OK without it.
I just wanted to reinforce the idea that Align can take quite some time before it works...
Hang in there--I really recommend giving it a good go!

--------------------
IBS-A

#339611 - 12/18/08 03:40 PM
osbo54

Thanks Aly,you have just helped me to continue on with this. I wasn't sure if I wanted the pain, but it is starting to ease up, so I will continue on for awhile and see how it goes.

Lynn

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2693 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3121

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review