All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
acupuncture
      #339374 - 12/15/08 08:02 AM
HollyA

Reged: 11/30/08
Loc: Southern Indiana

Has anyone tried acupuncture for IBS-C? I just started doing it. Unfortunately my insurance will not pay for it. It is getting expensive. Am I wasting my money? Also- has my chiropractor does procusions (spelling right?)on me (she takes a massaging type tool over my colon/large & small intestine area) It feels REALLY good. She also puts a laser on these areas. I've had it done while experiencing major IBS cramping and it completely went away. I left feeling wonderful. Has anyone had this done too? I am not interested in spending money on this unless it will help me for the long term.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acupuncture new
      #339375 - 12/15/08 08:17 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I tried with IBS-D and didn't have much luck.

My accupunturist/homeopath told me I could not digest milk or wheat and that I could eat potatoes with other grains within 8 hours of each other. (all through a blood test...few drops from my ear).

Also during the accupunture, he added some ceramic stones at certain points around my body and it really made my whole body tingle and feel very uncomfortable/on edge (much more than usual). He said it helped to get rid of the toxins.

But after several months, I still didn't feel any different.

Could be the guy i was going to though because I've heard good things.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339376 - 12/15/08 08:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Below is a link to a review article on acupunture and GI disorders. It examined 7 clinical trials of acupuncture used with IBS suffers. Generally speaking it found that for IBS there was an improvement in the quality of life but acupuncture had little effect on IBS symptoms. The improvement in quality of life is attributed to a placebo effect. The authors conclude "The high placebo response of patients with IBS is a widespread phenomenon across different therapy approaches which might be due to enhanced suggestibility and other personality factors in these patients." Other studies have shown there is no long term improvement.

I tried acupuncture twice for 2 months each time. It had no effect on my IBS symptoms and it did not improve my quality of life.

Reference
Schneider, A., K. Streitberger, and S. Joos, 2007: Acupuncture treatment in gastrointestinal diseases: A systemic review. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 13, 3417-3424.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339381 - 12/15/08 09:06 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Give it a brief trial period and see if it helps you. That is the only way you will know for sure. All treatments out there could be considered a "placebo effect". If it works for you, continue on with it, if not, then don't waste any more money.

Lynn

#339391 - 12/15/08 10:43 AM
Syl

Some therapies - soluble fiber, peppermint oil, gut directed hypnotherapy, removal of triggers such as tea, coffee and alcohol, specific probiotics, reduction in fructose consumption - have been shown to be clinically effective management therapies and not just a "placebo effect"

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#339392 - 12/15/08 11:08 AM
osbo54

Sorry, I disagree.

#339395 - 12/15/08 11:18 AM
Syl

You may disagree but the vast IBS research literature convincingly shows otherwise.

--------------------

#339396 - 12/15/08 11:24 AM
osbo54

Thanks, I will.

#339429 - 12/15/08 04:13 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I just came back from an acupuncture treatment. I started in August going 2 times a week, then once a week and now I go about every other week. For me, acupuncture in combination with everything else (exercise, diet, probiotics, hypno tapes) I believe has helped. I don't think it would have done as much good without everything else in combination.

As far as I'm concerned I don't really care if it is a placebo effect; if I feel it's helping I'll go for it and get whatever help I can. A really good friend of mine with IBS started acupuncture in June and swears by it. She can eat many things that she never could before and hasn't had an attack for months. However, this did not happen in a couple of visits.

But as you know, with IBS, different things work for different people.

Sharon

Re: acupuncture
      #339431 - 12/15/08 04:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Since IBS is so stress related the placebo effect can be very important. For some rubbing their abdomen in a certain way- hardly even coming in contact with the skin- can have a soothing effect. When I have D I have always rubbed my right thigh and it helps the stress. Since there aren't any real cures for IBS the placebos are worth a try. The gut directed hypnosis may be clinically proven but its worth is in giving that relaxation and hence symptom relief that other therapies *might* also give.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6110

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review