All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
acupuncture
      #339374 - 12/15/08 08:02 AM
HollyA

Reged: 11/30/08
Loc: Southern Indiana

Has anyone tried acupuncture for IBS-C? I just started doing it. Unfortunately my insurance will not pay for it. It is getting expensive. Am I wasting my money? Also- has my chiropractor does procusions (spelling right?)on me (she takes a massaging type tool over my colon/large & small intestine area) It feels REALLY good. She also puts a laser on these areas. I've had it done while experiencing major IBS cramping and it completely went away. I left feeling wonderful. Has anyone had this done too? I am not interested in spending money on this unless it will help me for the long term.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: acupuncture new
      #339375 - 12/15/08 08:17 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I tried with IBS-D and didn't have much luck.

My accupunturist/homeopath told me I could not digest milk or wheat and that I could eat potatoes with other grains within 8 hours of each other. (all through a blood test...few drops from my ear).

Also during the accupunture, he added some ceramic stones at certain points around my body and it really made my whole body tingle and feel very uncomfortable/on edge (much more than usual). He said it helped to get rid of the toxins.

But after several months, I still didn't feel any different.

Could be the guy i was going to though because I've heard good things.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339376 - 12/15/08 08:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Below is a link to a review article on acupunture and GI disorders. It examined 7 clinical trials of acupuncture used with IBS suffers. Generally speaking it found that for IBS there was an improvement in the quality of life but acupuncture had little effect on IBS symptoms. The improvement in quality of life is attributed to a placebo effect. The authors conclude "The high placebo response of patients with IBS is a widespread phenomenon across different therapy approaches which might be due to enhanced suggestibility and other personality factors in these patients." Other studies have shown there is no long term improvement.

I tried acupuncture twice for 2 months each time. It had no effect on my IBS symptoms and it did not improve my quality of life.

Reference
Schneider, A., K. Streitberger, and S. Joos, 2007: Acupuncture treatment in gastrointestinal diseases: A systemic review. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 13, 3417-3424.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339381 - 12/15/08 09:06 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Give it a brief trial period and see if it helps you. That is the only way you will know for sure. All treatments out there could be considered a "placebo effect". If it works for you, continue on with it, if not, then don't waste any more money.

Lynn

#339391 - 12/15/08 10:43 AM
Syl

Some therapies - soluble fiber, peppermint oil, gut directed hypnotherapy, removal of triggers such as tea, coffee and alcohol, specific probiotics, reduction in fructose consumption - have been shown to be clinically effective management therapies and not just a "placebo effect"

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#339392 - 12/15/08 11:08 AM
osbo54

Sorry, I disagree.

#339395 - 12/15/08 11:18 AM
Syl

You may disagree but the vast IBS research literature convincingly shows otherwise.

--------------------

#339396 - 12/15/08 11:24 AM
osbo54

Thanks, I will.

#339429 - 12/15/08 04:13 PM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I just came back from an acupuncture treatment. I started in August going 2 times a week, then once a week and now I go about every other week. For me, acupuncture in combination with everything else (exercise, diet, probiotics, hypno tapes) I believe has helped. I don't think it would have done as much good without everything else in combination.

As far as I'm concerned I don't really care if it is a placebo effect; if I feel it's helping I'll go for it and get whatever help I can. A really good friend of mine with IBS started acupuncture in June and swears by it. She can eat many things that she never could before and hasn't had an attack for months. However, this did not happen in a couple of visits.

But as you know, with IBS, different things work for different people.

Sharon

#339431 - 12/15/08 04:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Since IBS is so stress related the placebo effect can be very important. For some rubbing their abdomen in a certain way- hardly even coming in contact with the skin- can have a soothing effect. When I have D I have always rubbed my right thigh and it helps the stress. Since there aren't any real cures for IBS the placebos are worth a try. The gut directed hypnosis may be clinically proven but its worth is in giving that relaxation and hence symptom relief that other therapies *might* also give.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339432 - 12/15/08 04:49 PM
osbo54

Yes, Little Minnie, I agree with you. I was responding to Syl's post.
Lynn

#339437 - 12/15/08 05:38 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

It is definetely worth a try to go to a good liscensed acupuncturist. I think all of you who are saying it is only a placebo effect (and have no idea what acupuncture really is or are basing it on a few experiences) are being very ignorant. I will tell you with complete certainty that acupuncture works. Ive seen it work. Ive see a man who could only walk on a cane suddenly able to walk without it. It has helped my IBS and when i had foot pain every day for months, it suddenly went away after two treatments. Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years because it works. Notice how western medicine changes every time you turn on the news. Even western medicine is now accepting the fact that acupuncture works. Scientific studies show the physiological change acupuncture has on the body. Yes, they say when a phony acupuncturist places needles to see if there is a placebo effect, there is also a physiological change. But if you know anything at all about acupuncture- that woudl be like saying because you bleed everywhere i prick you, veins must not exist. Do some more research, I think youd be surprised.

#339443 - 12/15/08 07:54 PM
Syl

Acupuncture does work very well in some instances. Western medicine has been integrating acupuncture into the medical practices for a few decades. Unfortunately like many therapies it is not a cure-all. Unfortunately, at the moment the clinical research suggests acupuncture has little therapeutic benefit for IBS other than a feel good factor. Perhaps future studies might reveal something different.

If it makes you feel better and you can afford it by all means use it.

--------------------

#339449 - 12/15/08 11:53 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Some therapies - soluble fiber, peppermint oil, gut directed hypnotherapy, removal of triggers such as tea, coffee and alcohol, specific probiotics, reduction in fructose consumption - have been shown to be clinically effective management therapies and not just a "placebo effect"

I've got to agree with Syl on this one. Removing triggers from my diet definitely helps me, it's not just a placebo effect. Just like when I eat something that triggers an attack, I suffer for real - that's not a placebo either .

Ad acupuncture - I have actually been thinking about it for a while, just never got around to actually go for it (been so busy ). I've heard of people who swear by it, and of people who didn't react to it at all. I think the only way to find out is to try it ourselves.
btw – Syl never said that acupuncture doesn't work, he just said that there's no clinical research evidence to support it .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re:Allisonmary/acupuncture new
      #339459 - 12/16/08 05:48 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Are you currently doing acupuncture to help with IBS and how often??? When did you start and do you continue to do as much now as in the beginning? For myself, I noticed small improvements fairly soon as starting with 2 times per week and then I went to once a week and now am at once every couple of weeks. I know I do feel better overall which, in general, helps the IBS. I'd eventually like to get where I go only once a month or so. I never expected acupuncture to be a cure, however, I think that when one feels better overall, that definitely helps with the IBS. The acupuncturist I go to has studied here, in China and teaches as well for over 20 years. He also works with a huge medical group here, so I feel very confident with him. Am glad to hear you've had success with not only IBS, but other issues.
Sharon

#339462 - 12/16/08 06:10 AM
Syl

Glad to hear acupuncture is working for you.

The acupuncturist I saw grew up and was trained in China. He has been practicing for about 30 years. Also, he teaches medical students at the local university hospital. He told me that he has had some but limit success with IBS. I guess I am one of the limited success people

Are you still taking Life Start probiotic? I started up again about two weeks ago when the winter flare-ups began. It sure has quieted them down.

--------------------

#339493 - 12/16/08 04:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes I know. I was agreeing with you and as usual disagreeing with him.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#339526 - 12/17/08 09:27 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

I have been doing acupuncture for about a year now. Fortunately my insurance covers it. While I know it is not the sole reason my IBS is more under control, I do believe that the treatment has added to my overall well-being. About the time I started acupuncture, I also started the IBS diet, started taking the peppermint caps and acacia fiber and started drinking peppermint and ginger tea and really trying to watch out for my triggers. My acupuncturist treats me for both stress/anxiety and IBS so we are sure to treat a variety of areas. For me, it's worth it to get out of the office every other week, relax for 45 minutes and allow myself to breath deeply and enjoy the sensations.

I personally don't think just one change in habits will "cure" IBS, and as alternative medicine and eastern medicine stress, you should be treating your body as a whole. I love acupuncture and if you're interested in trying it, why not?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4020 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6191

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review