All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it really ibs
      #339228 - 12/11/08 02:17 PM
Kim D

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Canada

I just wanted to say thanks to Heather and everybody for all thier information.

I got myself a new doctor and have seen a gynecologist recently. Both have informed me that they aren't sure that I really have ibs, some things don't add up. One thing being; I tried Heathers diet for a year or so and it didn't help much. That's when I went searching for another answer.

I had no idea that a womans uterus could cause problems with the bowels and other organs. I'm having a celiac disease test on monday, and a hysterectomy in January. I do have problems with my uterus and have had all the children I want so, losing it won't be the end of the world, maybe this will prove helpful. Here's to hopin'.

Maybe I don't have ibs after all.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Kim
IBS C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is it really ibs new
      #339274 - 12/12/08 07:27 AM
Kim D

Hi again,
I know that I'm jumping the gun so to speak, because I haven't had the cd test yet, is it possible to have both celiac and ibs? As I said in "is it really ibs" Some things don't add up to ibs, but alot do.

I keep reading the posts on here to maybe find the answer to no avail. Any ideas?

also, one short question: anyone else ever had a hysterectomy, how does it feel after?

Thanks again to all you wonderful people.

--------------------
Kim
IBS C

#339275 - 12/12/08 07:56 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Kim,

When I read your prior post about your IBS issues (if it is IBS) and having a hysterectomy, I hesitated to respond regarding the hysterectomy I had last January. But since you asked, yes, I had one along with a rectocele repair. I don't want to sound negative, but I really wish I had done more investigation before I had the surgery and even gotten a second opinion. Because I was having a lot of IBS issues my OBGYN believed by fixing the rectocele and removing all the "female organs" would give me great relief. I still have all kinds of IBS issues. Also, my recouperation was more diffuclt than I had expected, or should I say, was led to believe it would be. My OBGYN said I would "feel like a new woman". I do feel like a new woman, but not in a good way. I too had followed the EFI diet very strictly for many, many months but really llttle improvement. I still use some of the guidelines but do not follow it to the T. I still believe it is easier for a D person to find stability on this diet than a C person.

So, going back to the hysterectomy, be cautious if your doctor is telling you having a hysterectomy may likely fix your IBS issues. I think sometimes doctors just don't know how to handle our issues and grasp at straws. The surgery is a big deal. Just because they do it all the time, doesn't mean it will be a piece of cake for your.

Here is a very helpful website devoted to women who have had or will have a hysterectomy. http://www.hystersisters.com/

I do believe you can have Celiac and IBS, but not sure. You could address a post to Syl and he would most likely be able to give you a definite answer on that one. Has your dr done all the other blood work to rule out other stuff. For example, there is a thyroid test that is much more extensive than just the normal one. I think it's something like a T3 or T4...not really sure...but stuff can show up on this whereas it will not show up on the normal one. There is also a blood test to see if your pancreas is working properly. I assume you have had a colonoscopy????

I'm not trying to make you worried. I just wish I had not jumped so quickly into surgery and had gotten a second opinion. The website i gave you is filled with invaluable information. I believe my e-mail is in my profile if you would like to send me a personal e-mail regarding any of this.

You do have a few weeks before January...I just suggest to do some research.

Best Wishes,
Sharon

#339278 - 12/12/08 08:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

See this newsletter where Heather writes about 'Wheat, gluten and IBS'. She says it is possible to have both celiac and IBS, but it's also common for celiac to be misdiagnosed as IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#339318 - 12/13/08 07:11 AM
Kim D

Thank you for your responses. I am very very grateful for your help.

--------------------
Kim
IBS C

#339369 - 12/14/08 09:34 PM
Sweetfudge

Reged: 03/13/06
Loc: Utah

Just wanted to share my 2 cents. I was told about 3 years ago that I had IBS, after trying about 5 different diets/medications from my dr. After trying the IBS diet for a couple months, and still feeling lousy, I did some more research, and found out about Celiac Disease. So I asked my dr to do the bloodwork. It came back positive (and by the way, it's rather inaccurate, it can come back w/ a false negative, so don't rely just on that). So we did a biopsy of my stomach/small intestine, which also pointed to Celiac. So I started the diet. It has helped me SO MUCH!
But now, a couple years later, I'm still feeling a little sick, and my new dr is saying I have IBS and Celiac. So I've been on the diet again. I must say, my second time on the diet is showing more results (since I'm not eating gluten anymore). My advice is to see what the test results say, and if they are negative, try cutting out gluten for awhile anyway, or having the biopsy done. I think doing your homework is a really good idea. There's a great forum at celiac.com with a lot of helpful people And if you ever have any questions, feel free to message me!
Good luck to you!

--------------------
Sweetfudge

Diagnosed w/ celiac disease June 2006, and started gluten free diet.
Stopped eating dairy June 2008.
Started IBS diet October 2008.
Diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in 2008 and lost 45 unwanted lbs!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1775 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1522

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review