All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and hypoglycaemia
      #33917 - 12/28/03 02:27 AM
sjl

Reged: 12/28/03

I have IBS and hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). I follow the 'GI Factor' diet (mainly recommended for diabetics) for my low blood sugar and try to follow the IBS diet. Does anyone have any tips for successfully managing both? I'm finding it hard to keep my protein and sugar levels up while also being kind to my tummy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Ta!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and hypoglycaemia new
      #33933 - 12/28/03 07:04 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I'm diabetic-so it's similar but opposite. Make sure you eat at least 6 small meals a day and include good protein sources at least twice a day. I try to get seafood, chicken or soy protein in-helps keep me stabilized. i also munch on pretzels alot-low in fat, but have soluble fiber in them!! Good luck! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Re: IBS and hypoglycaemia new
      #34026 - 12/28/03 01:22 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Good advice from MaryH.
I've read quite a bit about GI as my dad was a diabetic and my mum suffers from hypoglycaemia too so I was worried about my constant hunger and I was also worried about starting this IBS diet.

First of all, the GI index is VERY complicated and a lot of diets are based on a very limited and restricted view of this. The way the GI ratios are worked out is based on a certain amount of carb from each food, so although say CARROTS come out fairly highly on the index, you'd probably find it impossible to eat the HUGE amount of carrots necessary for your blood sugar to reach that level - it would be something like comparing a baked potato to 10 bags of carrots - so it's just not practical in terms of choosing one food in preference of another.

Also, people generally eat foods in combinations rather than one at a time. Fats will slow the GI effect (but are obviously unhealthy in excess, but you need to ensure you get enough fat), and so will fibre. Protein will also help to balance your blood sugar levels, but you don't need to go mad on protein - just a little with each meal will do.

I've found the most important things are to eat more fibre (but carefully - follow heather's recommendations), eat little and often, and eat enough. From the soluble fibre options choose the lower GI ones - oats, basmati rice is yummier and lower GI than ordinary rice, and pasta, plus the safe fruits and veggies listed.

I suspect you might just not be eating enough. Cutting back too severely on the carbs will make your body seriously crave them and give you hypogly feelings so you feel like reaching for the choccy (or whatever it is you crave). I was worried about the IBS diet, but I'm increasingly finding that I'm feeling full, craving less and am not obsessing about food. I can actually turn away from chocolate now and say I've had enough. If you knew me you'd be utterly amazed at that!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help- can I test you further? new
      #34322 - 12/30/03 01:30 AM
sjl

Reged: 12/28/03

Thanks for your advice. I don't think I am eating enough, because I am generally quite sensible with my food choices, except when I have a hypo, and then it's open slather on the fridge! I have just started a new job which is really sapping my strength too. I find I constantly worry about having IBS attacks while at work. I provide assistance to visitors at one of the major cultural institutions in Australia, and they are very strict about breaks and eating in the museum, etc. I become so terrified about eating something that will trigger an IBS attack that I skip snacks, which causes more problems when I get home! I would change jobs, but this is the start of my dream career, so I HAVE to make it work. Any ideas on how I can eat enough? I would love suggested meal plans, times or quantities. Hope someone has some more ideas!

Re: Thanks for your help- can I test you further? new
      #34457 - 12/30/03 03:42 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

OK - Firstly stress at work - this is a BIG problem and you need to deal with it sooner rather than later. This is my biggest stress about my IBS - If you suddenly break wind or have to dash to the toilet while out shopping, you're probably never going to see these people again (and that's stress enough) but at work - well, you have to work with them on a daily basis. The best thing I can suggest is Michael's hypnosis Audio Program - see the section about it on the website, you can order it on line. This has had fabulous results in clinical trials and with many of the people who use these boards and is probably the best strategy for stress/anxiety related attacks (at work or otherwise).

The other thing you should do is PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. I'm lucky - i'm quite often in an office on my own, can make drinks or eat whenever I want, use the toilet and escape to the photocopier etc. My big problem at work is meetings - worry about these causes attacks and I have been tempted many times to just not eat in fear of what may happen. But this is the worst thing you could do, especially if you're hypoglycaemic.

You need to sit and think and work out for every eventuality in your schedule. It's not fair, but planning will be your best friend. Work out what snacks etc you feel best taking to work. Eating little and often will seriously minimise the impact of eating itself - think about it, your body gets used to it and expects it. It's not a sudden shock to your gut.

The other best friend you will find is SOLUBLE FIBRE supplements. I've got the Acacia you can order online on this site and it's the best I've tried, but there are others that some find successful - if you know you'll be a long time between eating or you can't face food, the soluble fibre (drink or capsule) will help.

Have you read all the info on this site about the IBS diet? and the soluble fibre supplements? If not then you should. Also take a look at the recipe board for ideas. There's so much info and it's all helpful.

Good luck and let us know how you go on.
Shellsbells

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 670

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review