All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I don't get it?
      #338953 - 12/05/08 03:09 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

For the last 2+ months I have been pretty stable with my IBS symptoms. Over this last week I feel like I have been drug unexpectantly back to square one and cannot understand why. Is this normal? If you all can bare with me I would like to share a rough guide to my diet which I eat everyday. Acacia Fiber twice daily everyday; Breakfast: rice chex/oatmeal square with Silk soymilk; Snacks: Heather's Honey Chex Crunch, Luna bar, or applesauce (no sugar), Heather's pumpkin spice or banana bread; Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly (seedless) on sourdough with baked tostito chips and a banana; Dinner: usually one of Heather's chicken recipes from the IBS cook book, or chicken noodle soup. That's it. Are these relapses common? As IBS sufferer's you know we already exclude soo much. Any thoughts? The only other thing I can think of is that I have had a slight cold for 2 weeks and took Sudafed for my symptoms. But it's been about a week since I actually took any Sudafed. Any thoughts would be gratetful.
IBS-D with gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't get it? new
      #338977 - 12/06/08 06:40 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Jason,

I had been doing fairly well myself for the past few weeks, however, a few days ago I got a really bad flu (which I have not had in many, many years)....vomiting and could not eat. Even though the vomiting has passed, I'm very weak and my bowels are distressed with a lot of cramping. I think it is very common for IBSers that when we get an actual illness, it can set off the IBS. I believe that your having even a slight cold and the Sudafed was enough to mess with your IBS. I too feel like I am back to square one.

I try to remember that I have felt like this before and gotten better. Keep drinking lots of fluids and eating the right foods and hopefully things will be better soon.

Take care,
Sharon

#339021 - 12/07/08 10:47 AM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

Is it possible that you have an underlying sinus or ear infection left from the cold? Until you are feeling better, you may want to lessen the insoluble fiber with smaller portions of it and add in a little more soluble fiber like half a plain English muffin with breakfast and plain bread with dinner such as French, sour dough, or Italian, and a little more rice.

As for the PBJ – peanut butter is high in fat, and the jelly has high fructose corn syrup which some people cannot tolerate. Consider switching the lunch sandwich to low fat chicken, turkey, or tuna in water. To add variety to lunch I alternate baked Ruffles with baked Scoops and pretzels.

Instead of two doses of Acacia a day, I have found it helpful to have one dose in the morning and I divide the rest up in bottle water and drink it throughout the day. Do you use a probiotic? There have been some great discussions on this site about HFCS intolerance; you may want to look into.

Good luck!

Karen

#339029 - 12/07/08 04:27 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

Thanks Karen,
No sinus/ear infection. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what part of my listings were IF items. I was under the impression everything I was eating was SF except for maybe the PBJ. Will try to change up the sandwich. I just find it really weird that I've been eating that for months no problems. Thanks for your input.

#339030 - 12/07/08 07:34 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I'm in the boat with you guys... Started with allergies, then sinus infection and flu-like symptoms. Although VERY reluctantly, had to go on atibiotics (low dose) and corticosteroid nasal spray.
At the same time planning a trip with my husband,daughter, son-in-law and 2 granddaughters to Disney - Thrilling and Exciting... but, extremely
Stressful ... just the anticipation and "what ifs" - coupled with some severe back problems. God was good and I made it through 3 days non-stop at Disney, but could not eat. I would eat in the evenings because I would have diarrhea the minute I put anything in my mouth! (Even had to forgo the hot cocoa and cookies at the Disney Christmas Parade) Just got home and thought the "D" would be gone; instead everything - including bagels and applesauce cause cramping and immediate "D".
I guess I just thought it was all the stress of being "up" for everyone and am disappointed it hasn't disappeared as soon as I got home.
Maybe I belived in the magic of Disney too much!
I do know for you and all of us ..."this too shall pass"... don't know when, but I know I have to remind myself - "been here, done it, made it through before"....Take Care!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re:GaGa/I don't get it? new
      #339041 - 12/08/08 06:31 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

So glad to hear from you again Dorothy. I'm happy to hear you made it through through three non-stop days at Disney. Even though you had D at night and could not eat during the day, at least you were well enough to enjoy doing things with your family during the day (we always have to look at the bright side). Now it's back to normal, whatever that may be.

I think I'm going to post your saying "this too shall pass...been here, done it, made it through before" on my bathroom mirror!!!!

Take care, Sharon

#339073 - 12/08/08 03:00 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Remember that even though we all have IBS what we can tolerate is different. Some people can eat Luna bars and others can't. Same with peanut butter and really anything else. Just because a food item is on Heather's list of safe foods or snacks that doesn't mean that everyone of us can eat everything listed.

I can eat peanut butter but not every day. There is only one type of Luna bar that I can eat. All of the others bother my tummy. I buy Smuckers Simply Fruit jelly. It comes in a smaller jar but it doesn't have SFCS. Many peanutbutter brands have HFCS. If that is a trigger for you be careful and read the labels.

--------------------
Janey

Re:GaGa/I don't get it? new
      #339086 - 12/08/08 07:04 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Thanks for your kindness. I wish I was as positive as I "write"! :-) BUT - I do have to remind myself - "self-talk" that yes, these symptoms can be pretty scary, but they aren't new, I've had them before and survived, so surely I will again!
It's just frustrating when you think you've got it all under control and the rug is pulled out from under you!
{{Hugs}} - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1626 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2420

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review