All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mg to help with C
      #338862 - 12/04/08 06:38 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Does it matter what kind of magnesium supplement we use to help with C? In the US I used to buy Mg where the ingredient was magnesium oxide. Now I checked the content of the pills I got here and it says, "magnesium lactii". Is this still going to be as effective? I tried taking it, but nothing happened (but, that doesn't mean anything, my "old" mg didn't always work, either). I don't wanna be stuffing myself with some ineffective magnesium .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mg to help with C new
      #338867 - 12/04/08 08:44 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

The only form of magnesium I've found to work reliably is that which is found in Natural Calm. Do a board search and you'll get tons of hits.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#338869 - 12/04/08 09:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What is the translation of 'lactii' in English? It appears to be a Czech word. You may have to ask a chemist or pharmacist.

By chance does lactii mean milk and therefore the product is milk of magnesia? If it does then the ingredient is likely magnesium hydroxide. Products like Natural Calm contain magnesium citrate or magnesium oxide.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#338889 - 12/04/08 12:56 PM
Zara

Lisa - thanks, but I haven't found Natural Calm here .

Syl - I'm not exactly sure what lactii means, it's definitely not Czech. I think it is from Latin, I did a search on it,the root "lact" has to do with "milk", you're right on that one. It's not MOM though, I did a search on that before. I think this one actually contains something that has to do with milk, while MOM is only called that because of the resemblance.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll probably check out other brands to see if I could find mg oxide or citrate.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338891 - 12/04/08 01:27 PM
Syl

The reason I thought it might be Czech was a Google search using "magnesium lactii" produced only seven results. Three of the seven have URLs that end with .cz which means the web servers reside in Czech Republic and the language on the web pages in which the terms were used are Czech

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#338911 - 12/04/08 08:38 PM
Zara

makes sense

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338929 - 12/05/08 11:19 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You can purchase it online, just do a search. It works wonders!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pharmacist looked at me funny for wanting a specific kind of Mg new
      #340793 - 01/14/09 12:06 AM
Zara

That Mg lactii didn't seem to work very well so I went to the pharmacy today and asked for a Mg supplement that would contain Mg oxide. The pharmacist (an actual pharmacist, not a sales clerk) gave me a look like "this girl doesn't know what she's talking about" and told me that since Mg is a mineral there's only one type of Mg. I told her that I know there are different types and Mg oxide is one of them. I couldn't give her more examples of the other Mg because I couldn't remember how to say "mg stearate" or "mg lactii" in Czech.
These different types of mg really confuse me, I wish it was easy to tell which one works and which doesn't. She acted like she was the expert but we all know that there are different kind of Mg out there.

Anyway, I did end up getting my mg oxide so I'm happy now. Hopefully it will work soon .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Pharmacist looked at me funny for wanting a specific kind of Mg new
      #340796 - 01/14/09 06:03 AM
Syl

You are both right but it seems you are talking about different things There is only one kind of Mg metal but there are many kinds of Mg compounds. For example, magnesium oxide (MgO), magnesium carbonate (MgCO3), magnesium sulfate (MgSO4 - Epsum salts), magnesium hydroxide (MgOH - milk of magnesia) and more complicated compounds like magnesium citrate (C6H6O7Mg). However, the Mg in some of these compounds is not bioavailable i.e. your body cannot get Mg easily from the compound. Magnesium oxide has a low bioavailablity while magnesium citrate is more bioavailable. However, magnesium citrate is an osmotic laxative. Different types of magnesium compounds have different effects on the body. Others can tell which works best for their C.

Good luck

--------------------

Re: Pharmacist looked at me funny for wanting a specific kind of Mg new
      #340797 - 01/14/09 06:25 AM
Zara

Syl, thanks a lot for such an extensive answer ! This really helps me understand Mg and its compounds a lot more. I never knew about the different bioavailability. It does make sense though because I know a lot of people here use Natural Calm which contains Mg citrate. I will have to look for a local version (thanks for providing the chemical formula ), or have my relatives bring me some from the US when they visit.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4421

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review