All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Flu - Yuck!
      #33885 - 12/27/03 03:58 PM
Chelsea22

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Virginia

My entire family of four have the flu right now. We are going on day 7 tomorrow. Fevers are gone now, thank goodness, but we are all still weak when we try to extend ourselves a little bit. Anyone else out there dealing with this that can shed some light on when we might begin to feel stronger?

Of course, due to the high amounts of Advil to control the fever the last several days, my IBS-D has completely flared up. We have been this sad little family of shut-ins for the last week. We need inspiration if anyone has some to share!

Thanks so much,
Alicia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Flu - Yuck! new
      #33907 - 12/27/03 06:53 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hi there, I had the flu 2 weeks ago and it was awful. I get so depressed when I am sick with a cold or the flu because I already spend so much time with tummy troubles or worrying about tummy troubles that I can't handle actually catching a virus or something. It took me a week to be back to normal. Each day was a new symptom, fever, aches, then coughing. It really slowed down my Christmas shopping! I was at least lucky enough to feel better by Christmas. I also had to take Advil to deal with the horrible sore throat and my stomach was NOT HAPPY AT ALL! I sort of new it would be acting up after 6 Advil in one day but I had to get some relief. There's not much you can do besides rest and maybe some Immodium if the IBS-D is really bad. But mostly I took a lot of naps. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Re: The Flu - Yuck!-Thanks Debby! new
      #33910 - 12/27/03 07:33 PM
Chelsea22

#33918 - 12/28/03 05:16 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I had it too -- It took almost three weeks for me to fully recover (get all my energy back) but I got a bronchial infection on top of it... so you shouldn't have to go that long. I kept thinking - I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired!! Specially since most of the time I had gotten my IBS under control. The funy thing was -- I started out with some D -- and thought it was my IBS flaring up -- and I then realized I had a fever too == it wasn't just a hot flash -- and coughing.... so I was sick - not flaring up.

Re: The Flu - Yuck!-Thanks Debby! new
      #33931 - 12/28/03 06:59 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Make sure you all get your bananas in to raise your potassium level-that and tons of fluids will help the mild dehydration you all probably have! Good luck! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Re: The Flu - Thanks again for the advice! new
      #33950 - 12/28/03 09:07 AM
Chelsea22

#33970 - 12/28/03 09:41 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Alicia I hope you a your family feel better soon. We had the 24 hour stomach flu hit my family. The serious flu hasn't hit my area too badly yet.
Rest and drink plenty of liquids.

Re: The Flu - Thanks again for the advice! new
      #33980 - 12/28/03 10:03 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Home made chicken soup--with the bonaes! The cartlidge and gelatin contain electrolytes...this will help keep you hydrated. And lots of vitamin C! Garlic is good too...raw is better! Take 1-2 cloves a day...cut up into little pieces to swallow like pills. Echinace/goldenseal is also good...take it for 2 weeks and then two weeks off...it is most effective this way.

Feel better soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#33986 - 12/28/03 10:21 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Wow..We my house had the cold only, Thank God.. Try some plain yogurt for the D and eat foods that are high in C.
I agree with Ruchie homemmade Chicken soup no noodles add rice. Bluberries are a wonderful addition to muffin recipes that are IBS safe. Bluberries help control Diahhrea and they act as a natural aspirin (like Cherries). If you can have onions put them in your chicken soup they help with mucus (coughing). Bell peppers are high in C. Ricola drops are great and all natural read the ingredients, to watch out for allergies. Elderberry is a great herb that fights the flu/cold virus, watch out for echinecea, some people can't have that, those with auto immune disorders, etc.
Feel better soon...Happy Holidays..
Sherri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2717 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review