All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
GF diet and constipation
      #338811 - 12/03/08 08:08 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

So, this topic has come up before, but I feel like posting helps me center my thoughts. Plus, that way I will get more insight from you guys!

I've been tested for celiacs (don't have) and in the past when I was on the GF diet I felt much better (I was on the diet because I wanted to give it a shot, not because of a doctor's recommendation). Now that I think about it though, I think the reason I felt "well" was because during that time I got some stomach bug that made me D for about 2 months. But mostly I was able to get things done in the a.m. so the D was a welcome change. Well, I got "better" (or "worse" in my books), going back to C. At that time I quit the GF diet because I wasn't really better off. I did notice, however, that when I reduce my wheat intake, I get little less bloated (of course, when I haven't gone for days I'm still like a baloon, wheat/gluten or not).

The problem is that I've been substituting wheat with rice flour and white rice (I ate out and rice was the only safe thing available besides potatoes), and I think that's what making me even more C. I have not gone "number 2" since last Friday until this afternoon, and that was only because I took some MOM last night.

This has happened to me in the past, and it always starts my inner debate, whether I should try GF, wheat free, yes wheat but only mixed with whole, etc. The GF diet works for my bloating but contributes to my C. I feel like it may be helping in the way that I'm not eating as much "junk" (cookies, even if they're low-fat, etc.). I guess what I'm asking is, those of you who have tried GF, how did it make you feel, did you stick to it?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GF diet and constipation new
      #338839 - 12/03/08 01:11 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I think we've "discussed" this before. I did try the GF diet - at one point for 11 months straight, then piecemeal here and there afterwards. I still felt like crap on it. When I initially started it I felt AMAZING but I really think that's because I had been eating raisin bran and whole wheat pasta on a regular (almost daily) basis and giving them up made me feel great.

You can do the GF diet one of two ways: one includes lots of rice and corn, both of which are heavily refined and lead to C. The other way to do it is much healthier, but not IBS friendly: lots of fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, meats, etc.

I find I generally feel better when I include wheat in my diet, though I do believe that it does contribute a bit to my gassiness. Actually, the SFS that works best for me is Benefiber, wihch at some point last year switched from partially hydrolyzed guar gum to wheat dextrin. Nothing else helps me "go" as well!

Hope some of that rambling helped you a bit!

--------------------
IBS-C

#338842 - 12/03/08 02:00 PM
Zara

Hi Fen, you're absolutely right, we have discussed this before. At the same time, writing down how I feel about a particular approach really helps me. I'm not good at keeping any kind of long-term diaries, but this way I can just use the search function and read about what I tried and how it made me feel. Plus, you are the only people I can talk to about diet/IBS who actually get it. My husband, for example, is very understanding and sympathetic, but I need to talk to someone who knows where I'm coming from.

The thing that keeps me trying the GF diet over and over are the tons of testimonials on the internet, when everyone's like, "I cut out gluten and all my intestinal problems were gone, and my skin's better". I want it to be this easy, too, so I guess I subconsciously believe that maybe this time the GF diet would work. At the same time, my gut (my actual gut as well as my intuition) keeps telling me that gluten probably isn't my problem.

I'm going to stay away from white rice for a while and see what happens. I ate quite a bit of white rice products in the past week so that could be why the C. I stocked up on buckwheat, brown rice, quinoa, and brown rice and spelt pasta.

Your answer actually helped me a lot, I especially like the paragraph about two ways to eat GF. Unless you make everything from scratch using the flours of your choice, you're going to find white rice in lots of GF breads and mixes.

Thanks for listening to my venting !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338846 - 12/03/08 03:01 PM
Fen

No problem - we can discuss this anytime, because I often waver and think the exact same thing you do - so many people are helped by this approach that it's easy to think it could be the answer! Though I've often wondered if some of those people "just" have IBS and experienced the same relief I did when I gave up whole wheat and wheat bran. You know?

You know spelt is a form of wheat, right? It's supposed to be lower gluten, and many believe easier to digest, however it is a form of wheat.

My husband is the same way - he tries really hard to be sympathetic and do things to help me when I'm not feeling well, but he doesn't truly get it, because he can literally eat (and digest) anything and has a normal BM every single day. He has in the past teased me when he offers me something (say a bagel) and I decline. He'll say, "oh, are you gluten free today?" It makes me so mad because he doesn't have a clue what it's like!!!

Now thanks for listening to me vent

--------------------
IBS-C

#338857 - 12/03/08 09:33 PM
Zara

Quote:

He has in the past teased me when he offers me something (say a bagel) and I decline. He'll say, "oh, are you gluten free today?" It makes me so mad because he doesn't have a clue what it's like!!!

Haha, same here! My husband quit trying to keep track of my diet a long time ago , and when he sees me eating something that has wheat, he's like, "oh, gluten is not evil anymore?" ?

Thanks about the spelt info, yes, I know it's a form of wheat. Like you said, it's supposed to be easier to digest so I figured I'd experiment .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara new
      #338914 - 12/05/08 05:39 AM
Fen

Ok, scratch what I said. I think I might be back on the GF bandwagon

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Zara new
      #338915 - 12/05/08 06:30 AM
Zara

Really? What happened? If you had an attack then I hope you're starting to feel better!

Although I might understand without even asking. That's why I keep going back and forth. I have days when I feel really good on a GF diet, then I feel like it doesn't work anymore, go back to gluten/wheat. I admit that I start eating more "crap" like cookies, pretzels, etc. I get really bloated and C and then I remember those few good days I had while being GF and decide to go back to it. Then again, GF makes me C, too, because I end up eating more white rice products (rice cakes make me C, although technically they're "brown rice cakes") since they're more available to grab on-the-go, as opposed to, lets say, buckwheat crackers.

I was really bloated yesterday (didn't have wheat but spelt and buckwheat) but I think it was because of the psyllium that I was testing out again. I'm not going to take any fiber supplements over the weekend to see how I do.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338916 - 12/05/08 07:13 AM
Fen

I've just had gradually worsening C and bloating and was so uncomfortable yesterday, I literally thought I might explode!

I went back through my food journals and looked at my flagged good days. While some of those good days I ate wheat and some of those good days I ate gf, the day prior I pretty much always ate gf. Which made me think about how long food (especially refined white flour) stays in our systems, and how long after I consume it it might be affecting me.

I also think that wheat affects me in ways other than digestion. Primarily, and I've thought this in the past, wheat seems to lead to insomnia for me. And the insomnia is so bad that that alone is reason enough to give up wheat. I also have been battling a lot of nausea lately that I've been chalking up to things like stress and fiber supplements, but I can pretty much trace that back to when I started eating wheat again too. I also have a bladder condition that I suspect worsens when I eat wheat.

It's so hard to know for sure. I would literally pay any amount of money if someone could just diagnose me!

Let's keep each other posted

--------------------
IBS-C

Wheat new
      #338919 - 12/05/08 08:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Don't forget that wheat products contain fructans - long chains of fructose molecules - which are indigestible. They are also found in chicory, onion, jerusalem artichoke, and garlic in the form of inulin. However, they can be fermented in the bowel cause gas and bloating. Fructans are well-known to cause problems for some IBSers.

I think sometimes people blame gluten and go gluten free when they should reduce their fructan consumption.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Wheat new
      #338921 - 12/05/08 09:30 AM
Fen

I took the fructose malabsorption test a few weeks ago and it came back fine.

I'd love to think it's just wheat and not gluten, but I don't tolerate oats or barley at all either, never really have.

--------------------
IBS-C

#338927 - 12/05/08 09:58 AM
Syl

The fructose malabsorption test is done on free fructose. You don't need to be a fructose malabsorber to have problems with fructans For example, may IBSers have problems with inulin and FOS commonly used in SFS. Heather has a number of comments about SFS containing these ingredients. Inulin and FOS are fructans. Fructans are fermented quite rapidly in the bowel producing gas, bloating and pain in some IBSers.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#338969 - 12/05/08 10:00 PM
Zara

Quote:

It's so hard to know for sure. I would literally pay any amount of money if someone could just diagnose me!

I hear ya! Same here. I wish my body was like a computer when you run a scan. It checks everything and gives you a report, lol!

I'm also on and off with oatmeal. I have days when it's my best friends, and days when it makes me bloat up like baloon. Go figure .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338970 - 12/05/08 10:02 PM
Zara

Quote:

Don't forget that wheat products contain fructans - long chains of fructose molecules - which are indigestible. They are also found in chicory, onion, jerusalem artichoke, and garlic in the form of inulin. However, they can be fermented in the bowel cause gas and bloating. Fructans are well-known to cause problems for some IBSers.

I think sometimes people blame gluten and go gluten free when they should reduce their fructan consumption.

Syl, do you have a list of foods containing fructans? I'm sure you do .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

High fructan food list new
      #338971 - 12/06/08 05:22 AM
Syl

Humans don't have the enzymes needed to digest fructans. However, they can be fermented by bacteria in the large bowel particularly bifidobacterium which make up a large proportion of the flora in the large bowel. They are frequently found in prebiotics and supplements particularly in the form of inulin or FOS.

Fructans are found in anything with wheat (as the main ingredient), rye, barley, onions, leeks, shallot, garlic, jerusalem artichokes, globe artichokes, asparagus, zucchini, chicory, custard apple, Thompson grapes, mango, peach, persimmon, pineapple, rambutan, watermelon, chicory, inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).

You don't have to completely eliminate these foods from your diet. You just have to significantly reduce your consumption of these foods. In fact, it is difficult if not impossible to remove all fructans from your diet because they are a form of carbohydrate that many plants used to store energy even in limited amounts.

From the above list it is easy to see why many people mistakenly think gluten is the problem when in fact it could be fructans.

--------------------

Garlic and Onions new
      #338972 - 12/06/08 05:34 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Thanks for the info!
THis definitely explains why I get so gassy with garlic (and sometimes onions). I'm usually not gassy, but with garlic...it is so painful.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: High fructan food list new
      #338975 - 12/06/08 06:24 AM
Fen

I didn't realize barley was high in fructans. Interesting...

--------------------
IBS-C

#338978 - 12/06/08 06:45 AM
Syl

Wheat, barley and rye contain 2.2%, 2.7% and 4.8% of dry weight in fructans. There is even a small amount in oats (< 1%). The amount is higher in jerusalem artichokes (15%), chicory (16%), globe artichokes (12%), onion (4%), leeks (7%), chives (7%) and garlic (19%). Artichokes and chicory are commonly used as the source of inulin and FOS in supplements and prebiotics.

Reference
Food Chemical and Functional Properties of Food Saccharides (2003), Chapter 13: Fructans: Occurrence and Application, editor T. Piotr, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL

--------------------

#339015 - 12/06/08 11:50 PM
Zara

Syl, thank you for the list. That explains why I feel like I have problems with the regular bread here (made with rye and wheat flours). And, I'm way too far from California to eat artichokes, haha!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zucchini, now, too? new
      #341593 - 02/04/09 09:25 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I eat cooked zucchini every day for lunch. So is this what is giving me distress? Should I now eliminate this food too? If so, what is an easy veggie that cooks fast in the microwave?

Or how about the bread I eat that is sweetened with fruit juices?

I hate how fructose fearful this website has become. I am so afraid of so many new foods. This is why I quit the boards and I guess I need to stay off them. Problem is, I can't forget something once I've read it. There will always be this fear in me now.

I don't think the people who post how bad fructose is for us over and over again realize how much fear they are capable of instilling in people. This is serious. You are really messing some people up. I always think "better safe than sorry". No wonder I've lost 20 pounds. I'm so afraid to eat all these high fructose and fructan foods.

What should I do? Is this for real? Should I stop the zucchini and/or bread every day???? I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Fen and Zara new
      #341594 - 02/04/09 09:26 AM
Jordy

Are you now eating GF? Is it helping?

Do you take Acacia? Have you found anything that has helped you feel better? I'm at my wits end.

Do you guys eat low fructose too?

--------------------

Re: Fen new
      #341597 - 02/04/09 09:46 AM
Fen

Jordy, you're back! I've been wondering about you! I don't really blame you for staying away, however. I too think the boards harm more than help lately, particularly the fructose hysteria. I've no doubt that a significant number of IBSers are helped by a fructose free diet, however it is not the answer for all IBSers. And it's definitely not the answer for those of us who have been misdiagnosed as having IBS by doctors who don't really know what else is going on!

I am following a gluten free diet now. The clincher was when they tested my vitamin B12 levels and they are obscenely low, and there is no rational explanation for it. I do not have pernicious anemia, I don't have any pancreatic problems, I do eat meat. There is no reason other than undiagnosed Celiac Disease for my levels to be as low as they were. I've not had an endoscopy done. I have a new doctor and he is talking about doing something called a Schilling Test, but he's fairly certain the results will show CD. So I've been completely gluten and dairy free and gradually upping my IF intake and I've been doing pretty well. Not perfect, still sometimes gassy and bloated in the evening, but I've been consistently going to the bathroom a few times a day with no straining.

The best news is that between following the gf diet and receiving B12 injections, my energy levels are slowly starting to come back. I'd been feeling crappy for so many years, I forgot what it felt like to get through a day without needing a nap! It's amazing!

Enough about me! How are you doing? Are you still following the gf diet?

I'm no longer taking the Acacia or any SFS, by the way. They all make me too nauseous. And I no longer feel I need them.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Zucchini, now, too? new
      #341599 - 02/04/09 10:09 AM
Syl

If you are confused then ask you doctor for a fructose breath test If the results is negative then you don't have to pay attention to posting on fructose and fructans. if you are positive then you should take them into consideration

--------------------

#341601 - 02/04/09 10:16 AM
Jordy

I've called about 7 different hospitals in the state and none of them offer this test. How do you find a place to do this?

So what do I do???

--------------------

#341604 - 02/04/09 10:36 AM
Syl

Talk to you GP or GI doctor who should know where the tests are performed.

--------------------

#341605 - 02/04/09 10:38 AM
Jordy

Hi Fen,
Not back for long. The boards are just too detrimental for me, personally....although I miss the support and feeling like I'm not so alone in all this.

So, you never even had IBS? You don't have to eat SF before IF or follow this diet anymore? Or watch your fructose?

The most important thing is that you are feeling better! I'm so happy for you.

I still feel like crap most of the time and it's really taking a toll on me....

I do still follow a GF diet..but I'm not getting the same results as you, unfortunately. Still in pain and constipated and bloated.

Do you have any suggestions for a good GF bread? Or some lunch ideas that are GF?

So good to hear from you!

--------------------

#341606 - 02/04/09 10:40 AM
Jordy

I have and they don't know either. There is no easy answer for me, it appears.

Exactly how much fructans is in zucchini anyhow? Or this bread I'm eating?

Okay, I'm getting highly anxious now, so I better stop. I hate this guessing game and all the fear.

--------------------

Does anyhow else have some advice? new
      #341609 - 02/04/09 10:51 AM
Jordy

Or an experience to share with me? Please

Who has actually had the test and who is just guessing?

--------------------

What state do you live in? -nt- new
      #341613 - 02/04/09 10:56 AM
Syl

--------------------

Re: What state do you live in? -nt- new
      #341614 - 02/04/09 10:58 AM
Jordy

Illinois!

--------------------

Try contacting new
      #341615 - 02/04/09 11:11 AM
Syl

Digestive Diseases Consultants of Kankakee , S.C.
1615 N. Convent, Suite 1 * Bourbonnais, IL 60914
Phone: (815) 937-5200 * Fax: (815) 937-2063
email: admin@ddcofkankakee.com

The may also be able to give you the name of a testing facility closer to where you live.

--------------------

#341617 - 02/04/09 11:42 AM
Fen

Hi Jordy,

I don't really eat gluten free bread, with the exception of some cornbread I make from scratch sometimes. I'd be happy to share the recipe with you if you're interested.

Lunches these days are usually leftovers from the night before. I've also been making soup on the weekends and eating that for lunches during the week. Some recent examples are Tinkyada brown rice pasta with vegetables or brown rice with vegetables. I've been roasting veggies a lot in the oven - zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions- whatever I have around. I add a little chicken or some beans to this mixture for protein sometimes. I've been experimenting with lentil soups also. I find the red lentils get much softer and are easier to digest than the green ones. Sometimes I just eat fruit and rice cakes with peanut butter. And/or soy yogurt. Depends how hungry I am. I'm not sure if any of that helped you or not. Do you ever eat beans or lentils? I find they do the most to help my constipation, but I had to add them into my diet slowly.

I understand your desire to stay away from the boards. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd rather talk that way - I'll send you my email address if you would prefer.

--------------------
IBS-C

#341618 - 02/04/09 12:02 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I was wondering if I could e-mail you. I Have been having a pretty rotten week and could use someone to talk to. I think your right these boards can mess with your head.
emamsmom
ibs-c gas

Thank you....and question new
      #341621 - 02/04/09 12:12 PM
Jordy

I hope they can help me.

Does the yellow looking "zucchini" have just as much fructan or is it okay?

Thanks

--------------------

#341622 - 02/04/09 12:15 PM
Jordy

Hi Zara!

Oh Yeah! I think it most definitely contributes to my C!

And I'm in the same dilemma...not sure if I should stay with it or not.

Have you made any decisions for yourself?

--------------------

#341625 - 02/04/09 12:26 PM
Jordy

I would love all your recipes! And I have no idea how to roast veggies (or make the soups). Do you need a special pan to roast veggies?

I am stuck on turkey on GF bread, but GF bread is expensive! I have no clue what else to eat....I'm not very imaginative!

Do you always make your own soup....or have you found a canned soup that is safe? I eat Amy's Lentil soup, but that isn't red lentils and has too many onions, which may be a problem.

Do you still follow this diet or eat SF before IF?

What are your dinner leftovers?

I would love your email address! Thanks!

BTW, anything your can recommend for snacks?

--------------------

#341627 - 02/04/09 12:31 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

can i ask what is this diet please

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#341628 - 02/04/09 12:36 PM

Unregistered

Hey Jordy! Nice to see you around again...don't think I can help you as I'm a D but I just wanted to say hi and hope that you're doing ok

Re: Thank you....and question new
      #341630 - 02/04/09 12:38 PM
Syl

It is difficult to say if it is okay. It depends on the person. Some IBSers can consume lots of fructans with no problems. Others cannot.

Zucchini - yellow or green - contains about 2.5 grams of fructans per 100 grams. A 100 grams of mashed zucchini is about 1/2 cup. The amount of fructans in 1/2 cup zucchini is about twice as much as found in 2 slices of white bread, 2/3 cup of pasta or 1 medium sized globe artichoke.

--------------------

Julie new
      #341635 - 02/04/09 01:07 PM
Jordy

GF stand for gluten free diet. You don't eat anything containing the ingredients wheat, rye, barely, oats, spelt.... Um, that's all I can think of right now.

Your doctor can test you to see if you carry the antibodies or not. It isn't a problem for the majority of the people....so don't assume you need to be GF! You have enough fears, as I do.

--------------------

what's the difference new
      #341640 - 02/04/09 01:39 PM
Jordy

....between fructose and fructans?

Okay, this is my last post. I'm getting very obsessive again.

--------------------

Re: what's the difference new
      #341642 - 02/04/09 02:00 PM
Syl

Indeed you are getting obsessive -- your question is a good one

A fructan is composed of a chain of fructose molecules joined together. Inulin and FOS found in Jerusalem artichokes and chicory are fructans. They are also used as soluble fiber supplement that Heather warns can cause some IBSer problems. It is recommended that individuals with fructose malabsorption reduce the amount of wheat and other fructan containing foods they eat.

Most people don't have problems eating reasonable amount of fructans e.g. a couple of slices of bread. However, some people can experience bloating and gas from eating too much. How much is too much? The answer to this question has to be figured out by each person.

--------------------

Re: Fen and Zara new
      #341667 - 02/04/09 11:04 PM
Zara

Quote:

Are you now eating GF? Is it helping?

Do you take Acacia? Have you found anything that has helped you feel better? I'm at my wits end.

Do you guys eat low fructose too?

Hi Jordy!

It's good to hear from you again, I was wondering how you were doing!

Lately I've been doing a little better. I actually think I benefited from the "fructose craze". As I said in my other post, I like it when potential triggers (besides those outlined in the EFI diet) come up because that way I'm reminded of what's still out there to try.

I don't eat GF per say but I do try to keep wheat and spelt at minimum. But it's ok to have a bite here and there (like a piece of a whole grain roll - a small bite, not the whole piece, etc.). I defintiely don't eat any GF substitutes since they're loaded with white rice and starches that contribute to my C. I also don't eat any processed grains. That leaves me with brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat (for flour), and sometimes potatoes. I also eat brown rice cakes. I don't really eat oatmeal as I'm trying to stay away from sugar. I do eat oat bran though, to get things moving (never wheat bran).

I realized that I feel better when I reduce my intake of processed carbs and sugar (unfortunately, this involves fructose, too). I eat one piece of fruit per day max (usually some kind of citrus fruit). I like red peppers, they don't bother me so I eat at least one per day. Also, I eat lots of cooked veggies, meat with brown rice, brown rice cakes with turkey breast and avocados, etc.

As for supplements - no SFS, they actually made me feel worse. I take Iberogast (German herbal supplement, you can get it through Amazon) three times a day and I feel like it's helping me to pass gas. At night I take 750mg of magnesium. This helps me to have a BM most days. I've actually been constipated for the past two days. I think it's because while having good results, I got more lenient with my diet and ate a bunch of sweets (including chocolate). Time to get back onto the bandwagon for me :-).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Thanks Zara new
      #341689 - 02/05/09 10:38 AM
Jordy

You are on a pretty restrictive diet! When you have time, would you please share some ideas on what you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and snacks! (more specific, the better). I need some help getting away from the processed GF products.

What do you use the buckwheat flour for? Brown rice doesn't constipate you? Have you ever tried brown rice or quinoa pastas? You could also try millet.

Oh, what type of magnesium do you take? I've been thinking of trying Iberogast also. How long have you been on it?

thanks so much. I hope you have time to help. It would be so very much appreciated!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Zara new
      #341727 - 02/06/09 05:35 AM
Zara

Jordy,

Here's what I'm doing now. Please remember that I've been doing just a LITTLE better. This is not a "cure" diet, it's just something I'm trying. I still have bad days, C, bloating, pain, the usuals.

Buckwheat flour - I use it to make crepes. They can be made with non-dairy milk. The recipe is the same as for regular crepes - milk, egg, flour. Then I use the crepes for wraps instead of bread or tortillas. I fill them with cooked chicken or turkey, spinach, hummus, spread (Trader Joe's has good spreads that are dairy free, I like the roasted eggplant or pepper ones).

Magnesium - I take magnesium oxide, 3 caps at night (250mg each).

Iberogast - have been on it for two weeks now, I'm not exactly sure if it's helping or if it's the Mg but I'm too scared to stop taking it now :-).

meals:

breakfast - usually eggs - scrambled, omelet, poached. I usually mix some veggies into them - spinach, peppers, broccoli. I only use very little oil so that it's not greasy. Also, if I end up cooking a few I only use one yolk and the rest are whites - just to give it some color and flavor. Sometimes I mix some plain yogurt with oat bran. If I get tired of eggs I have rice cakes with spread or avocados.
lunch and dinner - basically the same for both of these meals. I eat lean meats, mainly chicken, because it' smy favorite meat . I bake it, broil it, stir-fry it with veggies (no cabbage) - carrots, a little bit of broccoli, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes...whatever you can tolerate. If I bake or broil it, I have a side of spinach or steamed, chopped-up veggies. I love cooked carrots, I add them to mostly anything - they provide a nice SF base. For sides I eat brown rice and quinoa (haven't tried millet yet). I don't think they constipate me - white rice certainly does. I also make all kinds of "risotto" inspired things - basically brown rice, meat, veggies, seasonings, sans the cheese. I have yet to find out how I'm doing with potatoes.
soup - soup is great, I was on a ski trip last week and had soup for lunch often. Usually it was some thick soup which meant it had flour it it but it didn't bother me too much. I think it's because only a little bit was used.
snacks - brown rice cakes with something - spread or with avocados, hummus, hard-boiled eggs, peppers, granny smith apples, citrus fruit, blueberries. I love pumelo, have you tried it? It's not as sour as grapefruit. Nuts, but only a few at a time. I don't do well with walnuts and peanuts, I buy this mix that has macadamia, hazelnuts, almonds, and cashews.
Drinks - herbal tea (mint and fruit flavored), water

If I feel too good I end up having something sweet or sweet made with flour (cakes) and I feel OK, so I eat it again, thinking it's OK, and then I get sick a few days later. I hate the lack of having an immediate reaction. I don't have a willpower of steel, I do mess up a lot, especially because it's hard to figure out what bothers me.
Like I said at the beginning, this is just something I'm trying out, it may not even work for me. I'm just sick of being sick so I'm determined to figure out my diet.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341739 - 02/06/09 07:09 AM
Jordy

Thank you. Do you think you could post the recipe for the buckwheat crepes with amounts? I never made a crepe!

Are granny smith apples different than the other types? Less sorbitol or fructose or something? Never heard of a pumelo (a fruit?).

What kind of soups do you eat? And are they canned or homemade.

You don't snack very much!

Sorry for the questions. I promise, that's all!

--------------------

#341773 - 02/06/09 10:50 PM
Zara

I don't mind questions, I'm happy to share whatever I know :-).

Granny smith apples - I have no clue but I think they're lower in sugar (makes sense since they're rather tart). They're allowed if you follow Dough Kaufmann's antifungal program.

Soup - I make soup sometimes at home (mainly chicken soup with vegetables) but most of the soup I eat is when I eat out. I don't like canned soup, it has too many preservatives. The restaurants I go to make it from scratch. I stay away from the obviously "bad" ones that would have a lot of cream, etc. But I don't study the ingredients in every soup I order. I've actually never had a problem with eating soup, it's usually the main course.

Pumelo - it looks like a large grapefruit but it's not a tart and it peels better. I was always able to find it in my local grocery store, both in the US as well as in Europe.

Buckwheat crepes (you can make them thick for pancakes). It's from a website in Czech so I'll translate it but you have to do the conversions . A good site is www.convert-me.com.

50g instant "milk" powder (soy, rice, buckwheat). If you don't find any, water works as well
500 ml water
300 g buckweat flour (works with rice flour, too, but I find it constipating)
a bit of salt
2 eggs

Dissolve the instant milk powder in half of the water (hot) and then add the rest of the liquids, salt, and eggs. Let stand for a couple hours or overnight.
Use a ladle to pour them in a non-stick pan, that way you don't have to use any oil. Enjoy!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Is the fructose intolerance test??? new
      #341940 - 02/11/09 07:27 AM
Jordy

....a blood test or a breath test? My doctor has me going for a blood test to be sent to mayo, but I always thought it was a breath test. I just want to make sure I'm getting the correct test when they take my blood.

--------------------

It is a breath test -nt- new
      #341943 - 02/11/09 07:44 AM
Syl

--------------------

Re: It is a breath test -nt- new
      #341944 - 02/11/09 07:49 AM
Jordy

So why are they taking my blood? Can you do it that way too? What a mess.

--------------------

#341947 - 02/11/09 08:00 AM
Jordy

From what I read, hereditary fructose malabsorption can be tested with blood....but is normal fructose intolerance something different that wouldn't show up on a blood test?

Thank you very much.

--------------------

#341950 - 02/11/09 08:03 AM
Syl

Nope - there isn't a blood test for fructose malabsorption

--------------------

#341951 - 02/11/09 08:05 AM
Syl

Hereditary fructose intolerance is a hereditary disease that is usually detected in infancy or childhood. It isn't the same thing as fructose malabsorption.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review