All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: what's the difference new
      #341642 - 02/04/09 02:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Indeed you are getting obsessive -- your question is a good one

A fructan is composed of a chain of fructose molecules joined together. Inulin and FOS found in Jerusalem artichokes and chicory are fructans. They are also used as soluble fiber supplement that Heather warns can cause some IBSer problems. It is recommended that individuals with fructose malabsorption reduce the amount of wheat and other fructan containing foods they eat.

Most people don't have problems eating reasonable amount of fructans e.g. a couple of slices of bread. However, some people can experience bloating and gas from eating too much. How much is too much? The answer to this question has to be figured out by each person.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fen and Zara new
      #341667 - 02/04/09 11:04 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Are you now eating GF? Is it helping?

Do you take Acacia? Have you found anything that has helped you feel better? I'm at my wits end.

Do you guys eat low fructose too?

Hi Jordy!

It's good to hear from you again, I was wondering how you were doing!

Lately I've been doing a little better. I actually think I benefited from the "fructose craze". As I said in my other post, I like it when potential triggers (besides those outlined in the EFI diet) come up because that way I'm reminded of what's still out there to try.

I don't eat GF per say but I do try to keep wheat and spelt at minimum. But it's ok to have a bite here and there (like a piece of a whole grain roll - a small bite, not the whole piece, etc.). I defintiely don't eat any GF substitutes since they're loaded with white rice and starches that contribute to my C. I also don't eat any processed grains. That leaves me with brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat (for flour), and sometimes potatoes. I also eat brown rice cakes. I don't really eat oatmeal as I'm trying to stay away from sugar. I do eat oat bran though, to get things moving (never wheat bran).

I realized that I feel better when I reduce my intake of processed carbs and sugar (unfortunately, this involves fructose, too). I eat one piece of fruit per day max (usually some kind of citrus fruit). I like red peppers, they don't bother me so I eat at least one per day. Also, I eat lots of cooked veggies, meat with brown rice, brown rice cakes with turkey breast and avocados, etc.

As for supplements - no SFS, they actually made me feel worse. I take Iberogast (German herbal supplement, you can get it through Amazon) three times a day and I feel like it's helping me to pass gas. At night I take 750mg of magnesium. This helps me to have a BM most days. I've actually been constipated for the past two days. I think it's because while having good results, I got more lenient with my diet and ate a bunch of sweets (including chocolate). Time to get back onto the bandwagon for me :-).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Thanks Zara new
      #341689 - 02/05/09 10:38 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

You are on a pretty restrictive diet! When you have time, would you please share some ideas on what you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and snacks! (more specific, the better). I need some help getting away from the processed GF products.

What do you use the buckwheat flour for? Brown rice doesn't constipate you? Have you ever tried brown rice or quinoa pastas? You could also try millet.

Oh, what type of magnesium do you take? I've been thinking of trying Iberogast also. How long have you been on it?

thanks so much. I hope you have time to help. It would be so very much appreciated!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Thanks Zara new
      #341727 - 02/06/09 05:35 AM
Zara

Jordy,

Here's what I'm doing now. Please remember that I've been doing just a LITTLE better. This is not a "cure" diet, it's just something I'm trying. I still have bad days, C, bloating, pain, the usuals.

Buckwheat flour - I use it to make crepes. They can be made with non-dairy milk. The recipe is the same as for regular crepes - milk, egg, flour. Then I use the crepes for wraps instead of bread or tortillas. I fill them with cooked chicken or turkey, spinach, hummus, spread (Trader Joe's has good spreads that are dairy free, I like the roasted eggplant or pepper ones).

Magnesium - I take magnesium oxide, 3 caps at night (250mg each).

Iberogast - have been on it for two weeks now, I'm not exactly sure if it's helping or if it's the Mg but I'm too scared to stop taking it now :-).

meals:

breakfast - usually eggs - scrambled, omelet, poached. I usually mix some veggies into them - spinach, peppers, broccoli. I only use very little oil so that it's not greasy. Also, if I end up cooking a few I only use one yolk and the rest are whites - just to give it some color and flavor. Sometimes I mix some plain yogurt with oat bran. If I get tired of eggs I have rice cakes with spread or avocados.
lunch and dinner - basically the same for both of these meals. I eat lean meats, mainly chicken, because it' smy favorite meat . I bake it, broil it, stir-fry it with veggies (no cabbage) - carrots, a little bit of broccoli, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes...whatever you can tolerate. If I bake or broil it, I have a side of spinach or steamed, chopped-up veggies. I love cooked carrots, I add them to mostly anything - they provide a nice SF base. For sides I eat brown rice and quinoa (haven't tried millet yet). I don't think they constipate me - white rice certainly does. I also make all kinds of "risotto" inspired things - basically brown rice, meat, veggies, seasonings, sans the cheese. I have yet to find out how I'm doing with potatoes.
soup - soup is great, I was on a ski trip last week and had soup for lunch often. Usually it was some thick soup which meant it had flour it it but it didn't bother me too much. I think it's because only a little bit was used.
snacks - brown rice cakes with something - spread or with avocados, hummus, hard-boiled eggs, peppers, granny smith apples, citrus fruit, blueberries. I love pumelo, have you tried it? It's not as sour as grapefruit. Nuts, but only a few at a time. I don't do well with walnuts and peanuts, I buy this mix that has macadamia, hazelnuts, almonds, and cashews.
Drinks - herbal tea (mint and fruit flavored), water

If I feel too good I end up having something sweet or sweet made with flour (cakes) and I feel OK, so I eat it again, thinking it's OK, and then I get sick a few days later. I hate the lack of having an immediate reaction. I don't have a willpower of steel, I do mess up a lot, especially because it's hard to figure out what bothers me.
Like I said at the beginning, this is just something I'm trying out, it may not even work for me. I'm just sick of being sick so I'm determined to figure out my diet.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#341739 - 02/06/09 07:09 AM
Jordy

Thank you. Do you think you could post the recipe for the buckwheat crepes with amounts? I never made a crepe!

Are granny smith apples different than the other types? Less sorbitol or fructose or something? Never heard of a pumelo (a fruit?).

What kind of soups do you eat? And are they canned or homemade.

You don't snack very much!

Sorry for the questions. I promise, that's all!

--------------------

#341773 - 02/06/09 10:50 PM
Zara

I don't mind questions, I'm happy to share whatever I know :-).

Granny smith apples - I have no clue but I think they're lower in sugar (makes sense since they're rather tart). They're allowed if you follow Dough Kaufmann's antifungal program.

Soup - I make soup sometimes at home (mainly chicken soup with vegetables) but most of the soup I eat is when I eat out. I don't like canned soup, it has too many preservatives. The restaurants I go to make it from scratch. I stay away from the obviously "bad" ones that would have a lot of cream, etc. But I don't study the ingredients in every soup I order. I've actually never had a problem with eating soup, it's usually the main course.

Pumelo - it looks like a large grapefruit but it's not a tart and it peels better. I was always able to find it in my local grocery store, both in the US as well as in Europe.

Buckwheat crepes (you can make them thick for pancakes). It's from a website in Czech so I'll translate it but you have to do the conversions . A good site is www.convert-me.com.

50g instant "milk" powder (soy, rice, buckwheat). If you don't find any, water works as well
500 ml water
300 g buckweat flour (works with rice flour, too, but I find it constipating)
a bit of salt
2 eggs

Dissolve the instant milk powder in half of the water (hot) and then add the rest of the liquids, salt, and eggs. Let stand for a couple hours or overnight.
Use a ladle to pour them in a non-stick pan, that way you don't have to use any oil. Enjoy!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Is the fructose intolerance test??? new
      #341940 - 02/11/09 07:27 AM
Jordy

....a blood test or a breath test? My doctor has me going for a blood test to be sent to mayo, but I always thought it was a breath test. I just want to make sure I'm getting the correct test when they take my blood.

--------------------

It is a breath test -nt- new
      #341943 - 02/11/09 07:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: It is a breath test -nt- new
      #341944 - 02/11/09 07:49 AM
Jordy

So why are they taking my blood? Can you do it that way too? What a mess.

--------------------

Re: It is a breath test -nt- new
      #341947 - 02/11/09 08:00 AM
Jordy

From what I read, hereditary fructose malabsorption can be tested with blood....but is normal fructose intolerance something different that wouldn't show up on a blood test?

Thank you very much.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41504

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review