All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Wheat new
      #338927 - 12/05/08 09:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The fructose malabsorption test is done on free fructose. You don't need to be a fructose malabsorber to have problems with fructans For example, may IBSers have problems with inulin and FOS commonly used in SFS. Heather has a number of comments about SFS containing these ingredients. Inulin and FOS are fructans. Fructans are fermented quite rapidly in the bowel producing gas, bloating and pain in some IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zara new
      #338969 - 12/05/08 10:00 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

It's so hard to know for sure. I would literally pay any amount of money if someone could just diagnose me!

I hear ya! Same here. I wish my body was like a computer when you run a scan. It checks everything and gives you a report, lol!

I'm also on and off with oatmeal. I have days when it's my best friends, and days when it makes me bloat up like baloon. Go figure .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Wheat new
      #338970 - 12/05/08 10:02 PM
Zara

Quote:

Don't forget that wheat products contain fructans - long chains of fructose molecules - which are indigestible. They are also found in chicory, onion, jerusalem artichoke, and garlic in the form of inulin. However, they can be fermented in the bowel cause gas and bloating. Fructans are well-known to cause problems for some IBSers.

I think sometimes people blame gluten and go gluten free when they should reduce their fructan consumption.

Syl, do you have a list of foods containing fructans? I'm sure you do .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

High fructan food list new
      #338971 - 12/06/08 05:22 AM
Syl

Humans don't have the enzymes needed to digest fructans. However, they can be fermented by bacteria in the large bowel particularly bifidobacterium which make up a large proportion of the flora in the large bowel. They are frequently found in prebiotics and supplements particularly in the form of inulin or FOS.

Fructans are found in anything with wheat (as the main ingredient), rye, barley, onions, leeks, shallot, garlic, jerusalem artichokes, globe artichokes, asparagus, zucchini, chicory, custard apple, Thompson grapes, mango, peach, persimmon, pineapple, rambutan, watermelon, chicory, inulin and fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).

You don't have to completely eliminate these foods from your diet. You just have to significantly reduce your consumption of these foods. In fact, it is difficult if not impossible to remove all fructans from your diet because they are a form of carbohydrate that many plants used to store energy even in limited amounts.

From the above list it is easy to see why many people mistakenly think gluten is the problem when in fact it could be fructans.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Garlic and Onions new
      #338972 - 12/06/08 05:34 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Thanks for the info!
THis definitely explains why I get so gassy with garlic (and sometimes onions). I'm usually not gassy, but with garlic...it is so painful.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: High fructan food list new
      #338975 - 12/06/08 06:24 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I didn't realize barley was high in fructans. Interesting...

--------------------
IBS-C

#338978 - 12/06/08 06:45 AM
Syl

Wheat, barley and rye contain 2.2%, 2.7% and 4.8% of dry weight in fructans. There is even a small amount in oats (< 1%). The amount is higher in jerusalem artichokes (15%), chicory (16%), globe artichokes (12%), onion (4%), leeks (7%), chives (7%) and garlic (19%). Artichokes and chicory are commonly used as the source of inulin and FOS in supplements and prebiotics.

Reference
Food Chemical and Functional Properties of Food Saccharides (2003), Chapter 13: Fructans: Occurrence and Application, editor T. Piotr, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL

--------------------

#339015 - 12/06/08 11:50 PM
Zara

Syl, thank you for the list. That explains why I feel like I have problems with the regular bread here (made with rye and wheat flours). And, I'm way too far from California to eat artichokes, haha!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zucchini, now, too? new
      #341593 - 02/04/09 09:25 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I eat cooked zucchini every day for lunch. So is this what is giving me distress? Should I now eliminate this food too? If so, what is an easy veggie that cooks fast in the microwave?

Or how about the bread I eat that is sweetened with fruit juices?

I hate how fructose fearful this website has become. I am so afraid of so many new foods. This is why I quit the boards and I guess I need to stay off them. Problem is, I can't forget something once I've read it. There will always be this fear in me now.

I don't think the people who post how bad fructose is for us over and over again realize how much fear they are capable of instilling in people. This is serious. You are really messing some people up. I always think "better safe than sorry". No wonder I've lost 20 pounds. I'm so afraid to eat all these high fructose and fructan foods.

What should I do? Is this for real? Should I stop the zucchini and/or bread every day???? I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Fen and Zara new
      #341594 - 02/04/09 09:26 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you now eating GF? Is it helping?

Do you take Acacia? Have you found anything that has helped you feel better? I'm at my wits end.

Do you guys eat low fructose too?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1582 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41512

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review