All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Meals for work that are high in IF
      #338753 - 12/02/08 12:23 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I need some help with meals for work. I am the "C" type so I need a good amount of IF. Besides following the EFI diet I also avoid wheat/gluten. I'm out of ideas for lunches to bring the work. The thing is, we do not have a microwave here (I was told it's because there's no window that can be open in the kitchen area). So all the lunches I could bring have to be eaten cold. I brought a sandwich today but even though the bread is GF it's made mainly with white rice, which I think contributes to my C even more. At the same time, I don't know what else to bring that would have fiber.
I can always go out if I want a warm meal but I'm sure you all understand that that's not exactly what an IBS person wants to do on daily basis.
Please help !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meals for work that are high in IF new
      #338754 - 12/02/08 04:08 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Hi Zara,

Can you find Tinkyada or other brown rice pasta there? I like to boil some rice pasta, mix it with small bits of chopped up peppers, cucumbers, olives, tomatoes (whatever you like) and a little bit of low fat salad dressing (I HATE the fake fat free stuff). Yummy pasta salad! I've done something similar with brown rice - just add your favorite chopped veggies (I love avocado with rice) and a tiny bit of olive oil and lemon or lime juice.

If you can find buckwheat noodles, I like to boil those and add some steamed or sauteed veggies (broccoli or snow peas work really well) and some chicken or shrimp if you like. Then I toss that with a tiny bit of sesame oil and soy sauce (tamari or Braggs). That's super yummy eaten cold too.

Good luck! It's hard to pack work lunches sometimes!

--------------------
IBS-C

#338755 - 12/02/08 04:19 AM
Zara

Hi Fen, thanks for the ideas! I have to check out my HFS. The do have some GF pasta but mostly I saw just the kind made with corn (which I don't like). I also found buckwheat pasta but it had wheat flour in it as well. I haven't been in a pasta mood lately though, so I haven't really looked. There've got to be other ones. Time to search again . I got really spoiled by the local HFS we had when we were back in the U.S.
The pasta salads sound yummy! If I can't get the pasta I'll make them with brown rice or buckwheat.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#338757 - 12/02/08 07:25 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I enjoy the packaged tuna and chicken (organic/natural of course) over a green salad with a banana or a peeled apple. On my salad, I like a bunch of Artichoke hearts. They are full of IF and are sooooo good. You can get them canned in the brine which is better than the oil, but I would suggest using a paper towel to get some of the juice off, its often high in sodium. Another one of my favorites is just a whole artichoke and dip it in some soy yogurt with some Tony's seasoning and lemon juice. Boil the artichoke until stem is fork tender and chill over night then eat the next day. OOOOHhhh so good! Homemade Salsa and hummus on a pita or tortilla with some turkey is excellent too! I also keep soy milk, yogurt, and safe snacks in the fridge or at my desk. Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Kappy - homemade salsa? new
      #338805 - 12/03/08 07:25 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Can I have this recipe for homemade salsa?thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#338806 - 12/03/08 07:31 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Try adding some lettuce and tomatoes to your snadwitch. Make some gluten free blueberry muffins. Can you do carrot sticks try adding a few of them in with some safe dressing. Make some soup and buy a really good thermous and it will keep it hot til lunch. If you make a bake pot take right out of the oven hot and double wrap it in foil and a kitchen towel and it will keep pretty warm for a while. I know it sounds like a awful lot just to eat lunch uh! You could puree some strawberrys and peaches and put them in a bowel and eat some after a sf meal. hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#338810 - 12/03/08 07:52 AM
Zara

Thanks kappy and emmasmom!Thank you all! I've got a lot of inspiration! Today I brough some brown rice pasta with stif-fried veggies and hummus mixed in, and it was really good! I also like the soup and thermos idea, I haven't thought of that one!

Kappy, I would also love your homemade salsa recipe! Unfortunately salsa's really expensive here, and hubby and I miss it greatly!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Homemade Salsa new
      #338814 - 12/03/08 09:31 AM
Kappy

Ok, there is alot of IF in this salsa, so make sure you eat plenty of SF with it. Also measurements vary. I don't measure I just go by taste.

Finely chopped onions white or yellow
Finely chopped Scallions
Chopped Garlic about 1-2 cloves
Diced Tomatoes drained well
Finely chopped peppers (I like banana peppers, use what you like)
Some fresh basil chopped (if you use dry, cut it in half)
Cumin to taste
Cilantro to taste
I think that is everything. I'm writing this from memory! Hope you enjoy!

If you don't like my seasonings, you can use your own. There are alot of variations of this. It's so easy!
Mix really well. I like to puree it once i get it ready to make it a little safer. I put it on EVERYTHING! I'll even use it as a spread on a sandwich! Try to drain the tomatoes really well so it doesn't get too watery. HTH

--------------------

Re: Homemade Salsa new
      #338863 - 12/04/08 08:02 AM
Kappy

Scratch the basil. Add some Chile's too! Sorry Galls, like I said, it was from memory!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3806

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review