All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Children with IBS
      #338727 - 12/01/08 11:43 AM
thepuzzleknownaslife

Reged: 12/01/08

Hi! I'm new here. I myself have IBS-D and with the help of this site have learned to really get it under control. My problem is my son. He's 10 and also has IBS-D. Two years ago, I took him to a pediatric G.I. dr. We put him through tests including scopes. The result was IBS. The dr. told me to give him immodium everyday and he'd be fine. There aren't alot of choices for dr.'s for him and I refuse to treat him as the dr. said. I have been able to find what triggers me but not him. I know how to treat it with an adult but not with a 10 yr. old child. He has always had this, since birth, and has accidents and is really starting to get embarrassed. He gets out of school on the 19th for Christmas break and I think that would be a great time to work on trying to break this cycle for him. I would really love some advice on this. I hate seeing him suffer. Thanks.

Christie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Children with IBS new
      #338729 - 12/01/08 12:38 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Sorry to hear the news.Going through this is hard enough as an adult.I couldn't imagine doing this as a kid.

This is the only advice I can give so I hope it helps.

Get him on the efi diet right away.Make sure he understands the importance of sticking to it.Keep it basic for a while until the d gets under control. Basic stuff bread, potatoes plain pasta rice if he can do rice.really well cooked carrots mushrooms.It's really hard sticking to this for a few days as an adult so it's going to be hard for him.Pretzels as a snack or really fresh white bread.

Then add on soups not creamy soup but chicken with noodles or rice carrots bit of celery. HOMEMADE. Vegetable soups made with broth and safe veggies, try to keep it all homemade.
He's young so chances are he's eating off the diet when you're not around so it's very important he understands.Let him on here to talk too.

I would also try him on Slippery Elm tablets to help stop a really bad bout of d.They are sold in any drug store.Just read the label.
Imodium is OK to use to help him handle the ibs everyday and don't be afraid to let him take some with him, sometimes just having it with him will help keep it at bay.
Use distilled water. Buy it in big jugs and let him take a water bottle to school.Bottled water isn't all they say it is and so I would avoid it.Also if he drinks the fountain water at school, it's treated and may be causing problems.

I know it's probably hard for you too but I would pick him up from school and drop him off so he doesn't have to walk or ride the bus.(we live in the country and our kids are on the bus for an hour after school, we only live 5 mins from town, go figure)

Well I hope that helps, the only other things I can think of are the hypno tapes,they worked for me and many others, or home school for a while to help get things under control.Accidents at school are really bad and could end up causing him a lot of anxiety that will aggravate the IBS.

Hope he feels better soon and you too.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#338738 - 12/01/08 03:11 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Ah Christie,

I feel bad for your son. School is hard enough on a good day, much less when you are not feeling well.

Most school lunches are a bunch of junk food, anyway. A bunch of additives, preservatives, etc.-- no wonder our kids our sick. Does your son pack his lunch or buy? You might start there.

It's easy for the doc to brush it off and say, just give him immodium, every day of his life. I personally, don't like to give meds to kids unless absolutely necessary.

I do hope you find your way with your son.

Lynn

#338746 - 12/01/08 05:48 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Was he ever on antibiotics, even as a baby, (or you while you were pregnant) before he showed IBS symptoms? Antibiotics allow yeast to proliferate. If so, he could have a fungus/yeast problem that has been simmering over the years before manifesting itself. For me, I need to avoid yeast products and reduce white sugar products and processed foods with the added chemicals and preservatives. Grains also contain mycotoxins, so we are eating fungal poisons every time we eat bread, cereal and pasta. What does he typically eat in a day? Is he on probiotics? I'd definitely recommend those to restore the bowel flora as a start.

#338748 - 12/01/08 06:47 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

Heather's book The First Year of IBS has sections specifically for children with IBS, and diet suggestions. It would also be good to get him tested for food allergies and look at other things that may be in his diet, as mentioned on this forum, Flintstone vitamins contain sorbital, which causes reverse osmosis in the GI track and leads to D. Many cereals, candies, juices, and flavored drinks contain high fructose sugar which causes problems in many people (search this site for more info). Fortunately there are a lot of replacement products for dairy such as soy or rice milk and cheese. Over-the-counter meds such as Alieve pain relieve can cause GI problems in people who are not predisposed to IBS. It is no wonder 20% of the population suffers from IBS with all of the fast food and diets saturated with fat and sauces. Many of us realize we have had IBS much longer than we initially thought. Some children have conditions that also need to be managed, such as diabetes. It is fortunate that there is a diagnosis for your son and that he has you to help him navigate.

All the best to you and your son.

Karen

#338799 - 12/02/08 08:55 PM
thepuzzleknownaslife

Reged: 12/01/08

Thank you all for the responses. I'm sorry that I haven't replied sooner. I was talking with a friend tonight who has chrohn's and ibs and she really has me thinking.

Taylor stopped growing when he was 3 months old. I kept taking him to the pediatrician and I was always told that he was fine. When he was 1, we moved and found a new pediatrician. She immediately was concerned. He had the bone age of a 3 month old baby. After numerous tests, an endocrinologist diagnosed him as having a vitamin a and d deficiency. We were just supposed to give him more of these vitamins.

As far back as I can remember, not to be gross, but he has had very watery, horribly foul smelling diarrhea. Even as an infant.

When he was 3, he was diagnosed with adhd, but is unable to take the medications as they turn him into a zombie. This is just something that we have has to deal with. He is learning to manage his behavior.

The last few days, he has been complaining of reflux symptoms...stomach ache, feeling like he's going to vomit, and burning in his chest.

Anyway, long story short, my friend think he was misdiagnosed and actually has celiac disease. I'm not sure what I think. My pediatrician just moved and a new one took over her office. The new dr. is amazing. I'm thinking that maybe I should make an appointment with him and see what he thinks. I'd really like to find him a good g.i. dr. but there are only 2 that see children within a couple of hours. One we saw, and one that I fired when he cared for my youngest child.

I guess I may be over analyzing things. I feel guilty in a way. My youngest was born with heart problems and was a very sick little guy for quite a while. I didn't pay as close attention to things as I should have. So, I feel like maybe I didn't pay as close attention as I should have.

As far as the immodium goes, I don't really have a problem with it. I'm not overly fond over medications. But, with me, I got to the point before I found this site where it no longer had any affect on me because I had to take it so much.

I'm going to have a talk with him and we are going to make a plan for Christmas break, and I am also going to try out the recommendations that I have gotten.

Christie

#338800 - 12/03/08 05:36 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

That was the next thing I was thinking.Celiac Disease.I think it is just a simple blood test so I hope you can find out whats really going on.
Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#342139 - 02/15/09 11:36 AM
twistedsister

Reged: 02/15/09

did you ever come up with a way of dealing with this for your child? My 9 year old has suffered with this for years and it's just frustrating to have Pediatric Gastroenterologists give you a blank look because it's IBS. I've had IBS-C since I was young and never had any help from doctors...somehow I thought it'd be different for my son. Still have to figure out a lot ourselves...and thankfully the most help has come from this site and Heather.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2686 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2586

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review