All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
why the delay
      #338471 - 11/24/08 05:31 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I'm still confused about this. I just had lunch - gyros - which consisted of white pita, shredded cabbage, and chicken meat. I got cramps almost immediatelly after I finished it. I blame the cabbage. What I don't understand though, how come I have these terrible cramps when there's no way the food actually reached my intestines? I'm in so much pain. I have heard about the gastrostolic (sp?) effect. But prior to eating lunch my gut only had safe food and was calm, and now it's all bloated while there's no way the offending food is down there. What causes the pain?
Ugh, I'm sorry but I needed to vent.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: why the delay new
      #338473 - 11/24/08 05:51 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

There is no reason to believe it could possibly have hit your intestines BUT with IBS sometimes as soon as the offending food item hits your stomach you react.

Cabbage BAD.

Have you been stable otherwise?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#338474 - 11/24/08 06:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The gastrocolic reflex begins a few minutes after you eat no matter what you have eaten previously. You may want to have a look at this video interview with Professor Whorwell who explains that simply the act of eating can cause IBS symptoms to start.

Cabbage is not a IBS friendly food, besides containing a lot of IF it also contains sulfurous compounds that produce gas in the colon.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#338482 - 11/24/08 08:33 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Thank you both, I should have known better. I thought it had lettuce - they both look similar when chopped up, lol . Yes, cabbage bad .

Syl, I'll look at the video when I'm home later tonight.

dragonfly, I haven't been stable but I've been feeling less bad, if that makes sense. I still get bloated and C but I had less days with severe cramps. Actually, it's been a while since I've been in as much pain as today, which is good. I'll get there again. I use the diet as a guideline but I'm trying not to eat too much wheat (it definitely contributes to my bloating) and I can tolerate some dairy (in small amounts).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2833

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review