All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
tingling in hands/feet
      #338043 - 11/13/08 10:06 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I'm not sure where to post this (sorry its in the wrong spot, I put it under lifestyle also):

Anyone experience this before an attack?

I usually have in the mornings when I wake up or when I'm really tired (like clothes shopping...hate it!), I get the tingling in my feet and hands, hot, sweaty and nausea.

In the mornings I get D, but when tired I may just feel these symptoms without having to go to the bathroom.
I've seen an neurologist and he didn't find anything.

Just curious.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tingling in hands/feet new
      #338046 - 11/13/08 11:28 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Sounds like anxiety to me. Lynn

#338049 - 11/13/08 12:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is not uncommon for IBSers to also suffer from fibromyalgia. The symptoms include fatigue and numbness or tingling sensations in the hands and feet. When my IBS was at its worse I suffered from fibromyalgia which slowly cleared up after a number of years by paying close attention to managing my IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#338092 - 11/13/08 05:12 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

or maybe a vitamin deficiency.

#338106 - 11/14/08 08:06 AM
ericai

Interesting. I would classify the tingling though as painful. But I find my nerves are very sensitive. Sometimes my my skin is tingling...I can't even describe how it feels...not pins and needles painful, but pins and needles with gentle pressure.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: get tested for celiac new
      #338113 - 11/14/08 09:23 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

thats a symptom - im gluten intolerant and when i cut out wheat the tingling stopped

#338123 - 11/14/08 02:51 PM
ericai

wow...that's interesting. I never would have thought a food allergy/intolerance would cause those symptoms!
I've been tested for celiac and it came back negative (3 weeks ago).
Although I've been told by a homeopath that I am allergic to wheat and dairy and that I can't eat potatoes and any other grain (rice millet etc) within 8 hrs of each other. I cut it out for about 2 months last year and my symptoms were the same IBS-A mostly D.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#338125 - 11/14/08 05:36 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Do u know your blood type? If youre type 0 it means you shouldnt be eating grains anyway...just protein and vegetables. you may also have a gluten intolerance even though you tested neg - maybe cut it out & see what happens?

#338128 - 11/14/08 07:13 PM
osbo54

Jenny,

Could you explain the blood type thing in more detail for me.
Thanks,
Lynn

#338133 - 11/15/08 06:44 AM
ericai

Yes, if you could post some more blood types. I'm A though. How could I figure out if I'm really alergic to gluten...is there another test? or just cut it out and see if I feel better?

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Blood type is a nonsense fad diet new
      #338134 - 11/15/08 06:50 AM
Syl

The blood type diet is another nonsense fad diet.

According to the Blood type diet, type A persons are naturally vegetarians and type B persons should balance their diet between plant and animal proteins. type O persons typically ate red meat and other high protein food.

Here is a link to a write-up that discusses the diet in some detail and describes its essential flaws. In summary it says "Medical experts universally agree that the theory is nonsense, and say there is absolutely no link between our blood group and the diet we eat. Consequently you won't find qualified nutritionists or dietitians recommending this diet."

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#338158 - 11/16/08 10:36 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Syl, from my brief internet searching it seems like the diagnosis for fibromyalgia is still an uncertain one. Do you think a person could have it without having other areas of pain in the body? I have many of the symptoms listed, but no unusual body pain other than headaches and intestinal pain.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#338159 - 11/16/08 11:31 AM
robbiej

Reged: 02/28/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi There-

I get the tingling, "I'm gonna hurl" feeling, and goosebumps all over my arms when I am having an attack. No Celia, No FM. I've have IBS for 26 years (I'm 38) and have always had this symptom. (Right now as a matter of fact as I wait for a pending attack...)

Anyway, my new GI (I've had a few HAHA) says that the pain, tingling, sweating, coldness, etc. may be caused by the gasto-colic reflex muscle (?) Not too sure if I have this right. Anyway, he said that once that gets going in an attack (and w/me it's every, single time after I eat ANYTHING..apparently mine functions a bit TOO well) the nerves can effect and radiate throughout the whole body. Of course this doesn't explain everything ( Does anything when we speak of IBS???), but it was a theory.

Your not alone!
Robbie

#338160 - 11/16/08 12:19 PM
Syl

I believe the symptoms range few to many and the intensity from mild to severe. It is a diagnosis by exclusion of other possibilities. And as I recall there is a significant cross-over between fibromyalgia. chronic fatigure and IBS. When my IBS gets out of hand some the fibromyalgia symptoms return. When they do I know it is time to get back to my safe base diet quickly

--------------------

#338164 - 11/16/08 05:45 PM
ericai

I always wondered if the tingling was from my IBS or if it caused some of the IBS or if it was unrelated nervous system issue.

Fortunately or unfortunately I'm kinda glad I'm not alone and dont have some freak disease.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#338184 - 11/17/08 06:33 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

This is SO interesting! I too have been thinking there is something freaky wrong with me. The tops of my arms frequently get goose bumps and sort a of tingling feeling. My lower left leg does this too. (sometimes my entire leg(s)
It NEVER occured to me this was caused by IBS.......
Sometimes I feel very stupid for mentioning to my DR all the weird little symptoms I have. But thanks to you all and this wonderful message board, I don't feel as crazy now!!!

I am going to pay more attention now to my IBS flares and when I feel the goose bumps.

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

tingling in hands/feet - Food Allergy or Fibromylagia new
      #338599 - 11/26/08 08:10 AM
ericai

So I've been on the SF predominant diet for 3 weeks now.
My IBS-D symptoms have decreased from D to A or loose stools and I feel much better.

My only complaint is that the tingling in my feet have increased. It is always there during the day. The second I wake up, it starts up strong on the soles of my feet.

This happened last year at this time also (November through March). I remember at that time I cut out dairy but still ate IF. I went to a neurologist everything came back ok.

My IBS-D is better now than last year with this SF diet.

I'm certainly thinking Fibromylagia, but could the tingling be food allergy or intolerance now that I've upped the amount of white bread products that I eat?

OR is it just the cold weather?

So strange, as i type, my feet are tingling like crazy.

Oh....last question....does Fibromylagia cause hypersensitivity in nerves?

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: tingling in hands/feet - Food Allergy or Fibromylagia new
      #338601 - 11/26/08 08:51 AM
Syl

Here is a booklet on Fibromyalgia published by The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases that may have some helpful information.

Burning or tingling hands/feet may be early warning of pre-diabetes which is something else you might consider.

--------------------

#338604 - 11/26/08 10:26 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

I've gotten tingling from anxiety and also from being cold.

#338606 - 11/26/08 11:17 AM
osbo54

Erica,

I was just going to respond when I saw Syl's post. I was going to ask you if you have been checked for diabetes? My dad has adult onset (which he controls with diet), and I remember him often complaining of tingling on the soles of his feet and tingling/itching on the palms of his hands. It might be worth getting checked out. I believe it is not a complicated test.

Lynn

#338627 - 11/27/08 12:28 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

Ok i get this also - my theory in this is i only get this when im a little backed up or blocked or i havent been you knwo - my theaory is that it could be the toxins in your system cause when your constipated or not going properly (even with diareah i dont go proerly) the toxin build up - i get all manor of symptoms when this happens - but i could be wrong - but yeah i get it also

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

Pre-diabetes or Fibromylagia new
      #338663 - 11/28/08 06:33 AM
ericai

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm reading up on both. I've been tested for hypoglycemia and diabetes over the summer and last winter, both came back normal.

But I have other symptoms that seem to lean towards Fibromylagia:
1) sensitivity to temperature. I get very nauseaus when hot (even in warm weather or if I'm cleaning or exercising and I get too hot I don't feel well...again nauseous and dizzy).

2) muscle soreness or body aches. Not regularly but randomly if I'm really tired OR if I've been sitting all day, like on the weekends.

3) I get migraine type headaches when I'm tired: very sensitive to noise and light.

4) Fatigued: I need at least 9 hours sleep to function. If less, I'm in a "fog" and/or my IBS really acts up

5) My nerves/skin often feel sensitive to touch, especially when my ibs is acting up.

6) very painful menstruel cramps

7) tingling in the feet.

I have two main questions:
1) can the symptoms come and go for Fibromylagia OR pre-diabtetes?

2) For Fibromylagia: I don't have the two main criteria for diagnosing it..."a history of widespread pain lasting more than 3 months and the presence of tender points."

I don't feel like I have consistent pain or tender points like they describe, but I feel like i have the other symptoms.

But as they described, the slew of doctors I've been to can't find anything wrong, so I keep thinking it's all in my head, that this is how we should feel and I'm just a hypochondriac.

Thanks again for all the responses, it's really helping me understand what's going on!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: Pre-diabetes or Fibromylagia new
      #338714 - 12/01/08 05:32 AM
Syl

You might also consider CFIDS (Chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome) also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Like fibromyalgia it is another disorder that commonly occurs with IBS that includes tingling sensations as one of it symptoms along with fatigue or 'brain fog'. And like IBS and fibromyalgia it is diagnosed by exclusion of other disorders. Fibromyalgia, IBS and CFIDS have an overlapping population. I have been diagnosed with all three at one time or another.

--------------------

Thanks Syl!! new
      #338717 - 12/01/08 09:46 AM
ericai

You are a wealth of information. I REALLY appreciate all your posts and am learning alot.
What is the process for getting diagnosed? Do I continue going to my gastro or my general family dr? Neither seems to be going in these directions. My gastro is prescribing me various different meds to help with the ibs, but hasn't taken into account my other symptoms (of course I haven't shared the painful periods) but the rest I have.

Thanks again!!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: Thanks Syl!! new
      #338724 - 12/01/08 11:18 AM
Syl

I am not sure a diagnosis will be of much help because generally speaking there aren't any specific treatments. Usually all they can do is treat the symptoms which does not get at the root cause. Lots of rest, good eating habits and reduce stress is about all that can be done. Kind of reminds you of the general treatment for IBS

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review