All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
constipation
      #337939 - 11/11/08 08:52 AM
jcknbox

Reged: 11/06/08

I have used Metamucil for years with mixed results. As I get older bloating is my biggest issue. I started the diet and stopped Metamucil and started using the Tummy Fiber from Heather. I have never been more constipated in my life - 3 weeks now. It seems that transitioning from Metamucil to Tummy Fiber wouldn't have been a problem but I may have to go back to Metamucil. Any thoughts? thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: constipation new
      #337941 - 11/11/08 09:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is a sticky note at the top of the diet board on " Acacia dosages - starting, increasing, switching from other fibers, and more" that maybe helpful.

The problems you are experiencing may also be associated with other foods in your diet. It would be helpful if you posted the meals and snacks you ate for the past 2-3 days

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337948 - 11/11/08 09:25 AM
jcknbox

Thanks - I have read the part about how to transition but am still experiencing this problem. I will post the food items as that is a good idea.

#337949 - 11/11/08 09:27 AM
jcknbox

I have eaten apple sauce, sourdough bread, rice and oatmeal for the first several days (bloating definitely subsided) and then slowly added items like white meat chicken, vegetables and fruit. Have totally cut out milk products, caffeine, nuts, no red meat etc.

#337965 - 11/11/08 01:26 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You need to be more specific about what fruits and veggies you have added - sounds like you just need more IF. Make sure you are drinking LOTS of water and exercising daily, too. Another option is a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm, which I take every night to ensure a BM every morning.

If fruits and veggies give you gas, you might consider using a digestive enzyme like Beano or GasStop.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#337967 - 11/11/08 02:10 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What fruits? What veggies? And how were they prepared?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337973 - 11/11/08 05:52 PM
jcknbox

Do you use the Tummy Fiber product? And if so why would you need to take something additional like Natural Calm. Maybe I went to the extreme on SF and have not been eating enough IF. I have been eating the things that Heather lists on the IF list along with SF but not as much or enough as I usually would. With Metamucil I was never constipated but I was bloated. I was hoping that the TF product would solve the bloating that psyllum in Metamucil causes along with eating SF first before eating IF foods.

#337975 - 11/11/08 08:53 PM
Evie H

Reged: 10/14/08
Loc: Northern California

Hi, can you tell me what Natural Calm is? I've never heard of it, does it really help you have BM daily? I have pretty severe colon spasms...do you know if this would aggrevate that? Thanks!!

--------------------
IBS C

#337987 - 11/12/08 06:55 AM
Lisa Marie

Yes, I use the tummy fiber (3 tablespoons per day), which is totally different from Natural Calm. The purpose of the tummy fiber is to help you be able to increase your IF intake. The Natural Calm is a magnesium supplement which helps loosen stools and prevent C. They do two completely different things.

Heather is predominantly D, so she eats way more SF than what you or I would need to prevent C. You were right to start off by eating mostly SF to sort of calm your system down, but now you need to gradually add in sources of IF. And I would recommend lots of pureeing and cooking - nothing raw.

It might take your body awhile to adjust to the tummy fiber. You might even try backing off on your dose until the bloating goes away, then SLOWLY increase it again. I spent a LONG time working up to my current dose (at least 6 months). It may take awhile, but the benefits are worth it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#337988 - 11/12/08 06:59 AM
Lisa Marie

I'm not sure about the colon spasms... do you take a daily antispasmodic like Bentyl for that? Those work great, but can certainly increase C. Since magnesium has a calming effect, I wouldn't think it would have any impact on colon spasms, but you might check with your doctor.

Natural Calm is a powdered magnesium supplement; you add it to hot water and drink it like tea once a day, preferably at night. It works wonders for me. Once I found the right dose, it has helped me to have a pretty reliable BM every morning. This has become especially helpful now that I'm in my third trimester of pregnancy!! You can buy it at Whole Foods (or other health food stores) or online. If you search this board for "Natural Calm", you'll see there have been many discussions about it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#337995 - 11/12/08 10:22 AM
jcknbox

Thanks - this is very helpful

#338039 - 11/13/08 09:56 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Just a thought but did the Metamucil you used contain a laxative? If you use a laxative your gut become dependent meaning you'll have to wean yourself off the laxative and on to the acacia.

Other than making sure you get you two liters of water a day and matching your usual dose this is the only thing I can think of.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#349373 - 08/24/09 06:31 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Can I use Acacia during my pregnancy???? Thanks.

#349400 - 08/24/09 06:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes, if you can eat during pregnancy. Acacia fiber is just the same soluble fiber you eat without the food.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review