All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I just 'felt' better on South beach diet! Help!
      #337891 - 11/10/08 07:25 AM
elfdream

Reged: 09/07/08
Loc: Shenandoah Valley VA

I have been diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic. My mom died of it and my two brothers have it. I'm also part Cherokee which is another strike against me.

I was on the South Beach diet for a while, lost weight and felt really good. I have been able to keep diabetes at bay for a long time. I was still 'good' at my last bloodtest.

I had IBS in the past and it went into remission for years. Then my brother and I started looking after my elderly dad which was stressful because my dad and brother never got along in the best of times and now it was even worse and they bickered constantly... and my son wanted to join the Marines and I just didn't believe he was mature enough to make such a decision. We were down to one car and I had little opportunity to leave the house. All of that was stressful and the IBS all came back. Then my son changed his mind and decided not to join right now and we have some professional health care people to come in every other day to help care for our dad so now perhaps we won't suffer from 'caregiver' burnout. Those problems were solved but the IBS continued.

I found this place and so far have followed Heather's suggestions and it has helped a LOT. I still have problems with D from time to time but only when I slip up. I'm still learning to sort out my triggers.

I'm taking Heather's fiber supplements and drinking the herb teas. I've read all the FAQs about low carbs and so forth. I'm not concerned about weight loss as I'm only about 10 pounds over my limit so that's not a priority right now. I'm taking a multiple vitamin once a day.

The thing is I just feel so tired all the time now...and have litle energy. With the exception of the D/C being under control I felt 'better' when I was doing South Beach.

This is a list of what I am pretty much eating now..and I'm being careful with doing the soluble fiber first.

Oatmeal
Applesauce
Rice Chex
Rice Milk
White Bread/Plain Bagels/soft wheat bread
Selective Harvest Soups (the tiny amount of milk product in some apparently doesn't bother me)
V8 juice (I really don't like it but I feel better when I drink it daily!)
Rice-white and brown
Chicken/Salmon/
Potatoes-white and yam
Jams
White pasta
Smart Balance
Luna Bars
celery
I like to buy those bags of veggies that you can steam in the microwave...right now my favorites are the mixed veggies and the veggies with rice.
Natural Ham/Turkey slices.

I tried some beans yesterday but I think it was too much too soon even though it was a small portion. Had a setback this morning but it wasn't major. No cramps or anything.

I have not yet bought Heather's book so I'm not doing the 'real diet' yet. Right now I'm just sort of experimenting trying to identify my 'triggers'. I hope to have the book soon.

Is anyone here diabetic? What do YOU do?

And has anyone else had this problem only to have it clear up when you started to follow Heather's diet 'seriously'?

Part of me just wants to go back to the way I was eating and to pop the Immodium all the time but I don't think that's any way to live.

So sorry about this long post. I'm serious about working on my recovery but this seems to be a roadblock. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if it is worth it to continue. I want it to work!

--------------------
IBS D/C /Fibromyalgia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I just 'felt' better on South beach diet! Help! new
      #337904 - 11/10/08 10:56 AM
elfdream

bump...

Anyone before it falls off the page?

--------------------
IBS D/C /Fibromyalgia

#337920 - 11/10/08 05:16 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

So, did you feel better on the South Beach Diet, but now you don't feel as well? I'm trying to understand what you said. Why are you not still on the diet then? If you are pre-diabetic, you will want to reduce the starchy/processed high carb foods, as you know. Are you getting enough iron, vitamins/minerals with what you are eating daily? I see you said you feel better when you drink V-8 juice. Maybe the abundant starchy foods you are eating are causing you to be sluggish.

#337926 - 11/11/08 05:48 AM
elfdream

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I'm not still on the SB diet is because its full of IF and things that are just not IBS friendly. Trigger foods. For instance the recommended breakfast is eggs and hardcore veggies and all sorts of things that I just shouldn't eat first thing in the morning.

I'm taking a multi-vitamin.

The best things I've found so far to keep the IBS in check are the starchy foods like potatoes and white bread but that is what I suspect is making me feel bad in other ways. I don't know how to reconcile the two problems.

I really don't want to give up and just rely on medications but I may have too.

--------------------
IBS D/C /Fibromyalgia

Edited by elfdream (11/11/08 05:50 AM)

#337966 - 11/11/08 01:29 PM
kim123

When you were on the SB diet, did you notice any difference with your FM symptoms? Other than "white" foods, what are you able to tolerate?

#338023 - 11/12/08 08:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There are two things that helped me when I felt tired all the time. First, make sure you're getting enough protein and getting it spread out enough throughout the day. Try adding a hard-boiled egg white to your IBS-safe breakfast, for example. Make sure you're getting some protein for both lunch and dinner also.

Second, get your doctor to test your B12 levels. Since B12 is found in lots of stuff that our IBS doesn't tolerate it's easy to not get enough of it. I had that problem and now just take 1000mcg of B12 in tablet form every day. Very easy and it's helped a lot.

I'm not sure how much sugar you can tolerate - if any - but take a look at this recipe: web page. The cornmeal in it might be a more complex carb for you to try.

You might also take a look at Heather's FAQ on the IBS Diet and diabetes: web page

And there's a link that talks about the IBS Diet and Atkins (not the same as South Beach, I know, but you still might find some of the info useful): web page

HTH. Good luck with this. It stinks having to balance two health conditions both of which require dietary modification.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#338075 - 11/13/08 02:27 PM
elfdream

Thanks so much for the tips. The idea of spreading the protein out throughout the day makes perfect sense.

I'll have the B12 checked out as well.

And yes it is tough! It can also get discouraging at times.

[quote]When you were on the SB diet, did you notice any difference with your FM symptoms? Other than "white" foods, what are you able to tolerate?[/quote]

Yes. My FM symptoms were practically non-existent on SB. I had energy!
The list in my original post is pretty much all I'm eating right now. I'm working my way back to 'stable'. I have the D under control but haven't really returned to 'normal' yet. I have a bit of problem with C from time to time.

--------------------
IBS D/C /Fibromyalgia

#338089 - 11/13/08 04:28 PM
kim123

Very interesting that your symptoms went away on the SB diet. I suspected they did, that's why I asked. That is very telling,... your condition is probably fungal related. The foods you are allowed/eat on the SB diet are pretty well the same as those on an anti-fungal diet, minus the peanut butter (peanuts are mycotoxic). On the SB diet, you are starving the fungus/yeast by eliminating starch, sugar, and grains, thereby feeling better. If you do start something similar again, be aware that you may feel worse before feeling better again, as the toxins are being released from your body, a Herxheimer response.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1945 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1962

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review