All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
safe protein powders for smoothies
      #337647 - 11/03/08 11:01 AM
Evie H

Reged: 10/14/08
Loc: Northern California

well, I lost more weight this past week, due to lack of eating (lots of colon spasm pain, although no C problem, which is good, but still in pain, which is bad)..need to find a way to get more food and vitamins in. thought I'd try a smoothy each morning of banana, rice milk and almond milk and maybe crush a multi vitamin..could use a good recommendation of a safe protein powder...any suggestions?? also other smoothie suggestions would be great...can't tolerate berries right now...

--------------------
IBS C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: safe protein powders for smoothies new
      #337655 - 11/03/08 02:28 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

The Banana-Carob Smoothie in the EFI Cookbook is awesome!! If you can't find the carob powder (I live in Mississippi and there are not many places that carry it here) try about 1/2 a tbsp. of cocoa powder. The cocoa powder doesn't bother my belly, just the chocolate bars. This is a good sweet smoothie! There are some recipes for smoothies in the diet/recipes section of the website. A favorite of mine is: 1/2 cup of fruit cocktail, 1/2 cup of Dole tropical blend, 1/2-1 cup of rice milk, and some ice cubes for consistency. One more thing is the Chai Tea in the EFI Cookbook. All it is: 1 tbsp. fennel seeds, 1 tbsp cardamom seeds (not in pod) 2 cinnamon sticks broken into small pieces, and 1 tbsp. of cloves. Mix these well. Get any kind of rice/almond/soy milk you like (i like vanilla almond) and boil one cup with 1 tbsp of the chai spices and let it boil for a minute then let it steep for 3-5 minutes. Strain the spices out of the milk and put about a tbsp of honey in it! It is so good and good for the tummy with a lot of fiber. It's also a good after dinner dessert replacement. Kind of gets you into the sleep mode. Very calming. I hope this helps!

Question for you: When you do have a BM, is it solid or not? I have been C for the last couple of days, and now, today I had a BM but every time I go to tinkle, more and more comes out little by little. Would you consider this D or have you ever experienced this?

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#337657 - 11/03/08 02:39 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I've used a brown rice protein powder with success in the past.

--------------------
IBS-C

#337666 - 11/03/08 04:56 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I used to use brown rice powder but I found it made me C. So now I use hemp protein powder. The taste is not for everyone, but I don't mind it. Some of the flavoured ones are pretty good. I like this one . It also comes in chocolate and plain. And hemp is super good for you - fiber and omegas.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#337667 - 11/03/08 05:30 PM
Evie H

Reged: 10/14/08
Loc: Northern California

I think it would depend on the stool consistency...if they're soft, then your C is working itself out. If they are runny then it's D. If they're solid and hard and a little coming out at a time, then you're still constipated. Also, I'm noticing lately that the more hot herbal tea I drink (like 3 24oz cups per day) the softer my stools are. It's really helping. I just wish I could figure out why my colon spasms so often, no matter if I'm C or not and it's ALWAYS in the same spot...left side just beneath my lowest rib...anyone else have that symptom??? please share if so. I'm so frustrated today.

--------------------
IBS C

#337673 - 11/03/08 07:54 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Particularly when I'm "C" and bloated that's exactly where I have my pain - which means about 99% of the time.
My GI dr's nurse practitioner and my regular dr said that's the transverse colon and it spasms. It also swells, twists, whatever and pushes on the diaphragm/upper stomach/chest area. I reassure myself when the pain is there it's not my gallbladder, liver or appendix!
I'll have several good days and then eat "something" and I don't know if it's what I ate today or 3 days ago - but, it's usually something that causes "C". I have a friend who has lots of gas and she has pain there constantly.
Even though I don't have any answers, I hope this maybe reassured you it's "normal" What a word for IBS'ers!
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#337680 - 11/04/08 04:58 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I have been making smoothies with ISOPURE brand protein powder with absolutely no ill effects. I only use one scoop per smoothie but it is not causing me problems at all unless I am already having problems from something else!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#337684 - 11/04/08 08:57 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Yes, I get pain there also. Almost always on my left side. It feels like it's in the front of my body, but it's also in the back. Most of the time the pain covers my abdomen by the end of the attack. I sit at work all day, and I try to walk around as often as possible, but it's hard too, and when I finally do stand up, It feels like my intestines are tearing apart! Especially on the left side!

Thanks for the help with the C and stools. I guess it has been working itself out! I've noticed the softness too with the tea, I try to drink as much of the strongest peppermint/fennel tea possible! It definitely helps. Thanks again for your help!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review