All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Juice Conundrum
      #337635 - 11/02/08 03:55 PM
Jason63

Reged: 10/14/08

From reading Heather's book. I understand that the only juice open to me is cranberry. From what I can gather my options are water, herb teas, and maybe lemonade. I love apple juice and my question is if it's 100% apple juice, no high fructose corn syrup, or other added juice why its dangerous? If sugar is the reason than why are hard candies safe for consumption in a pinch (they're 100% sugar). Why is applesauce also safe? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Also I'm new to hot drinks (i.e. teas). Has anyone experienced from drinking peppermint tea an increase in BM's or phantom BM urgency? I'm not sure if I should keep drinking it.
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Juice Conundrum new
      #337640 - 11/02/08 07:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Apple, grape and many other juices are high in excess fructose, that is, just like high fructose corn syrup these juices contain more fructose than glucose.

On the other hand white sugar contains exactly equal amounts of fructose and glucose, that is, there is no excess fructose to cause problems for IBSers.

You can read more about it here where Heather says "Fructose, a fruit sugar, can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea (this is typically not true for sucrose, or plain table sugar). Honey contains fairly high amounts of fructose. Fruit juices, particularly apple and grape juice, are often sky high in fructose and even more problematic than whole fresh fruit. It's simply much easier and faster to drink a large glass of juice (and ingest a great deal of fructose) than to eat an equivalent amount of whole fruit. So treat juices as you would insoluble fiber and drink them carefully, with soluble fiber foods."

However, it should be noted that soluble fiber will not buffer the effects of excess fructose. And excess fructose can cause C as well as D.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Juice Conundrum new
      #337642 - 11/02/08 08:21 PM
D.Huston

Reged: 09/11/08
Loc: Washington

In Heather's book she explains that it is not sugar that is the culprit with IBS. Sugar has empty calories but does not irritate your GI at all. From what I can tell with what I have read it is the insoluble fiber, high fructose corn syrup and all the other stuff that may be added that could over stimulate the GI.

Everyone has their individual tolerances for food or drink items that may over stimulate the GI tract and this should always be taken into consideration when eating items not found on the EFI diet.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
D.Huston

------------------------------
IBS-D - Gas/Bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 939

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review