All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stevia
      #337386 - 10/26/08 12:02 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Does anyone have information on the herb "stevia rebaudiana?" It's used as a sweetener and how safe is it for IBS persons?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stevia new
      #337389 - 10/26/08 01:10 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I tried the liquid and found it too bitter. You have to know I really have a sweet tooth and if it isn't sweet, I won't use it! I have been on a mad quest to get off of artificial sweeteners like Splenda, but not to go back to pure sugar... Then, I recently found something in the grocery story called "Truvina" which is made from the stevia leaf and extremely sweet. What I don't know is how it is manufactured - as in chlorine being used in manufacturing Splenda, so you are in fact ingesting chlorine. As far as I can tell, it has not caused me any problems to date. Also, I tasted one brand recently in the HFS - a powder that tasted just like sugar. I do know it has been around for centuries in China and all the naturopath/homeopathic/alternative medicine people/doctors say it is the only safe artificial sweetener. I'm just not sure how pure the Truvina is - I've go to research it more... OR, maybe our scientist friends on this website already know about it and can enlighten us - Hint, Hint - Syl & Fen????

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#337393 - 10/26/08 01:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Stevia is quite safe. It is ready available in Canada. However, be careful because some preparations contain other ingredients like FOS. I got caught -- I forgot to look at the ingredient list . Here is an interesting web site with lots of info on Stevia. Also search the message board. There are many postings on Stevia.

Here is a recent FDA document that gives you a sense of their position on Stevia.

(Aside: there is chlorine (Cl) in table salt (NaCl) whose chemical name is sodium chloride and stomach acid which is hydrochloric acid (HCl). Chlorine molecules are found in many things you eat. It is not a problem when it is bound to another molecule like sodium. You just want to be careful not to breath pure chlorine gase - it can be quite poisonious )

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#337400 - 10/26/08 03:37 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Gaga, I'm honored, but I wouldn't consider myself a "scientist friend" anywhere near Syl's caliber. But thanks!

Just another thing to note, Stevia is in the same family as ragweed, so if you are allergic to ragweed you will probably react to Stevia. I've used it in the past and didn't notice any digestive upset, however it made my eyes very watery and itchy!

There are some flavored liquid stevia preparations that are quite tasty. I've used the vanilla on oatmeal and thought it was pretty good. Would be good in some steamed almond or rice milk as well! I have never tried the powdered kind, so I cannot attest to the taste or "bakeability" of that

--------------------
IBS-C

#337432 - 10/27/08 12:12 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Thanks to all you gals that responded to my inquiry. They were of great help. CMB

#337908 - 11/10/08 11:22 AM
Judy G

Reged: 11/10/08
Loc: Gulfport, Ms

My sister had ulcerative colitis and
her doctor prescribed it as the only
sweetner to use. My son now has it also,
I am buying Stevia at a health food store
for him now. Hope this helps

Judy G.

Re: Syl/Stevia new
      #337936 - 11/11/08 08:20 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Thanks for the information and the "warning"!Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1702 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review