All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LIBERAX ANYONE TAKING IT?? HOW IS IT DOING FOR YOU?
      #337017 - 10/15/08 07:23 AM
lisamonoson

Reged: 07/08/06
Loc: FL

I am IBS A & also suffer from Panic anxiety and (Agoraphobia - due to the IBS) and currently follow the IBS diet and take ALIGN daily.. My Symptoms are almost 100% improved thanks to this board. My question is when I am going out or travel ( which I don't do due to IBS but would love to) I suffer a lot with the agoraphobia and my nerves so bad that I do start having to go back and forth to the bathroom- No longer usually D but loose several times and uncomfortable, sweaty palms, nausea, faint etc etc..My new psychiatrist perscribed me Liberax the other day to help with the nerves and slow down the GI system. Reviews Look Amazing on this product. I wanted to ask the Board members here since its a more concentrated group of wonderful people. Since I take align and that has helped is it going to counter react? I want my life back !! IBS has taken over with my anxiety as well since I was a teen. I want to not worry about going away and just be excited about it not worried for months and anxious. I have tried countless SSRI in the past etc with no full relief. What is your take on it? I hope to hear a lot of Positives I am due to start it but a bit afraid of bad side effects. He has me on the lowest does just 2 times a day to start.

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LIBERAX ANYONE TAKING IT?? HOW IS IT DOING FOR YOU? new
      #337023 - 10/15/08 09:03 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I did try Librax for a while 2 times/day and I had no side effects and it did nothing for me. I do know, however, there are some people who swear by it. What really, really has helped me in the past with anxiety is Ativan. Some doctors don't like to prescribe it because as with many drugs, a person can become dependent on it. I would take 1mg and sometimes only 1/2 of that on as an needed basis. I have never felt I became dependent on it and have used it off and on for years. If you do a search for it on the board I think you'll find a lot of people benefit from it.

Best wishes,
Sharon

#337054 - 10/16/08 04:25 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I know just where you are. Liberax is an older drug - been around since I was a teenager (I'm 59 now! :-) - so it's well researched. It has helped many people and did me when I was much younger. I also was diagnosed with generalized anxiety/PTSD/panic disorder several years ago and I know it's controversial - just like the Ativan - Xanax is what works for me. After over 20 years, my psychiatrist (I see only for meds) says I'm not addicted - but, even if I was, I would continue with anything that helps me function. It's a vicious cycle: IBS & anxiety/panic. I know what you mean about traveling too. We have a family trip planned to Disney in December and I'm already worrying - so silly, huh?
Best wishes for success with this drug! If it doesn't work, continue to go back until he gives you something that does. And, don't beat yourself up about needing to take it - it's a band aid until you are well, which I believe we all will be - as we learn and grow....
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#337056 - 10/16/08 07:35 AM
lisamonoson

Hi Dorothy,
Thanks for your reply.. I do hope it helps.. I have been nauseated for 2 days & I dont know why?? I havent started it yet I have to pick i tup today so I will try my first dose tonight after dinner. I know I read your post about your Disney trip a while ago & I Felt like it was just like me. I do the same thing I Panic for months. One time I went to a PSY just before my first plane trip to Hypnotize me and he gave me a Tape that I listened to the whole flight. It still didnt stop the many visits to the restroom at the airport and at different points of the trip. This board has been a HUGE lifesaver the DIET has been a Major difference in how I feel. I just need to get the Anxiety/panic/agoraphobia under control so it doesn't flare things up. I too see the PSY for the drugs. I have been on so many for only the Panic and Anxiety. this is the first doc that perscribed something for both so maybe its finally the answer.. I will pray for you and your trip. Im sure since you too have had it most of your life you have lots of tapes. However if you dont I would be happy to try and send you some meditations if I can through email in a mp3.

--------------------
IBS C Mostly .. More stable than ever Since being on the IBS diet! I THANK GOD FOR THIS BOARD! I can alternate to IBS A at times of stress, hormones or anxiety. LACTOSE INTOLERANT

#337102 - 10/17/08 05:54 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Thank you for your kind offer! Rather than hypnotherapy, I pray a lot - that's my meditation as well as "speaking" specific healing scriptures and quotes. He truly is my source and my only hope and help. I can't begin to tell you of the things I have been healed of... my heart while literaly being wheeled ito the operating room, infertility, endometriosis. So, I know "He can"! It just gets hard when we have those bad days/weeks/months!
I think, due to my past, I have a "trust" issue in addition to being a control freak. So, I'm trying not to think - just to trust that all will be well.
{{Hugs}} Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#337112 - 10/18/08 12:13 PM
kteach

Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: New York, NY

I have been taking librax for about 7 years. It has worked very well for me controlling both my anxiety and D. The only thing to be wary of is that it can be habit forming. I was not informed of this when I started taking it and am now trying to wean myself off the meds as I want to get pregnant soon. It has been challenging, but not as bad as I thought thanks to this site!! Also, some gastro docs will not prescribe it, but if you see a psyc that should not be a problem. Hope it works well for you! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D 8 years

#337114 - 10/18/08 02:10 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I have been on Librax for several years. It has really helped me and I had no side effects from it. I have a lot of anxiety and it helps that and also helps my tummy. I started out with 1 pill three times a day before meals in the beginning. I am down to 1 pill a day now in the morning before breakfast. When I have a little more anxiety I will take 2 pills, one before breakfast and one before dinner.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Librax : When and how much? new
      #337993 - 11/12/08 09:24 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I wanted to see how Avonlady00 was doing with the librax.

I have a rx for it too (3x/day every 8 hrs), but haven't tried it yet. I'm a little nervous. I almost always have D in the mornings (only in the mornings). I asked my Dr if I should take it at night or in the morning. I don't eat breakfast right now so I'm nervous to take it on an empty stomach. I'm also trying to change my eating habits so that I eat more often and in the morning.

I saw that a few people take it as needed. What does that mean? When you feel anxious then you take it and it stops the anxiety and the D?

When the drug wears off, do you feel anxious again or like you have to run to the bathroom?

I'm nervous if I take it in the mornings, my IBS attacks will shift to the afternoons.

Am I over thinking this?

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: Librax : When and how much? new
      #337994 - 11/12/08 09:48 AM
lisamonoson

Hi Erica,
I tried it for 2 weeks morning before eating and night and it seemed in the am I was having more problems with it than it was worth. I don't know if it was due to my PMS starting but I had more D/loose b than I normally have. I take align so I wondered if it was because I had both in my system. The align does good for me but I guess its back to the Dr to see what he wants to do next. I was on the lowest dose no other side effects at all.

--------------------

#338027 - 11/13/08 05:50 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been off and on Librax for years. Currently on it, but like someone else who posted, was weaned off to one at bedtime because he thought I was addicted. To be honest I have tried Bentyl, Levsin, Levbid, and Librax. I had been on Librax the longest and honestly I felt I was at my best when taking the Librax with Prozac, which I tried to do again and it was very anxious, so I stopped the Prozac. I had one GI doctor tell me that if the Librax doesn't stop the colon spasm, its not colon spasm.........well what the heck is it when your colon feels like someone has turned it inside out and is trying to reinsert it through your rectum....At one point they upped my dosage to 1 or two 4 times a day, but I never took that many, the most I ever took was three times a day. So maybe I was addicted? I did see that you take ALIGN and I don't know if you are lactose intolerant, but there is lacrose in ALIGN, but if it is working for you keep taking it!! Since I stopped the Librax 3 times a day, I have been unable to sleep. I sleep maybe two hours a night and have tried Xanax and Lorazapam, with no help. (I am seeing someone for the insomnia, its just not normal). So I would say, yes give it a try. I'm always up for trying something that works and to get relief. The only side effect I had was dry mouth and made me a little sleepy, but as you can see once I got used to it that went away. Good Luck

Cheryl aka LtDanFan

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#339114 - 12/09/08 10:08 AM
syntonic1

Reged: 12/09/08

Hi,

I have tried Donnatal and Librax and by far, the librax has been better for me. It was prescribed 1-2 capsules 4 times a day, but the most I have taken was 4. I found I had intense dreams on 4 and cut back to 3. It's not perfect , but I can function. When I asked my GE about Donnatal, he felt the Librax was far more effective. It does have librium, an anti-anxiety med, so it also helps with the panic.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review