All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
UK Health service 'Nutrition Exclusion diet' rules out these foods for IBS??
      #336114 - 09/17/08 08:58 AM

Unregistered

The UK Health service 'Nutrition Exclusion diet' rules out these below foods for IBS. Can any one take time to explain very basically why Barley, corn, rye are ruled out of IBS diet?(Wheat i do understand). Onions ,leeks, Beans ,lentils ,lettuce tomatoes are intiallly excluded on there list. Then the fruits-grapes ,Plums and finally Grape fruit are ruled out FIRST OF ALL ALSO. Again I understand Citrus but not the previous fruits and veg. I also no that leeks and onions can generally cause problems for IBS or non-IBS but dont no why. I understand eating with soluble fibre solves alot but would be grateful for a wise sole to help me here-thanks appreciate your efforts-new to IBS still.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: UK Health service 'Nutrition Exclusion diet' rules out these foods for IBS?? new
      #336118 - 09/17/08 09:14 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Is information about the exclusion diet available on the web? If yes, can you provide a link to it?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: UK Health service 'Nutrition Exclusion diet' rules out these foods for IBS?? new
      #336122 - 09/17/08 09:25 AM

Unregistered

I am afraid it is not as they all have small different variations. I had just picked out a small amount of foods from this which i was confused on. Many thanks for your help in the past too -welcome any answers!

#336157 - 09/18/08 06:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Corn, rye, lettuce and grapefruit have high IF content. Barley contains a significant amount of IF but it contains more SF. However, just like some people can handle oatmeal and others cannot. It could be the same for barley. Grapes are high in fructose. Plums contain sorbitol. Onions and leeks contains sulphurous compounds and fructans. I don't believe citrus plays a role in IBS management but it does in acid reflux.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4048 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1682

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review