All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
How STRANGE
      #335843 - 09/09/08 11:25 AM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

hi, i have a question, i take imodium every day and i really really wish i didnt have to take it sooo one day i decided to go without imodium. Well i felt awful all day, i was scared to eat anything in case i got diarrhoea. I went to toilet 3 times in one day and even tho i didnt have diarrhoea, i didnt feel ok at all. I feel ok with imodium, it gives me a peace of mind and i know i will be ok while im at work but i really dont want to live on imodium for the rest of my life!!! What shall i do?? is there like any food that is just good for anyone FOR SURE?? like maybe plain white rice and chicken that is not gonna make me go to toilet? or what shall i do? anybody from the UK that tried some food and felt ok after eating it and is sure that it wont make me react to it? i really wish someone could help me!!! im sick of taking imodium every day, i feel like a FREAK

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How STRANGE new
      #335849 - 09/09/08 01:53 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

TRy cutting out immodium when you have a few days off.That way you won't have any pressure and stress to deal with which you know makes it worse.Stick to plain white bread potatos chicken etc to stabalize your stomach.
Have you tried any herbals?Try Slippery Elm to help stop the cycle with out using Imodium.It took me two days and my cronic d was cleared up.Stress really is the culprit and if you can try not to think so muh about what you eat and how it's going to effect you...then you will find a bit of relief.Have you tried the hypno tapes?They help retrain your brain and I find they keep me from thinking about ibs all day long.I even think about it differently now.Not paniciky all the time.I make the right choices and leave it at that.I have had a lot less attacks since beginning the audio program.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336340 - 09/22/08 02:22 PM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

hello, thank you for your reply, i havent tried hypno tapes because to be honest, i cannot afford to buy them. I would love to try them but they are too expensive. Today i had such a bad stomach ache and spent 20 mins on the toilet, i dont feel well at all and im hoping i will be ok tomorrow morning cos i gotta go to work, I know im stressing too much and its making it even worse but i gotta be ok tomorrow. Am drinking peppermint tea and i havent tried slippery elm, what is it? is it like tablets or powder and what do u do with it and what does it do? thank you

#336341 - 09/22/08 02:42 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

The slippery Elm comes in tablets and I think you can get it in bark form too so you steep it for tea.Try an herbal store.Anywhere you buy herbal supplements.What it does is soothe the intestinal track.If your bowels are rebelling and constantly irritated by the food you eat or just plain irritation,The slippery elm soothes the walls and calms down your bowels.After gallbladder surgery I had yellow d all day everyday.I found this site and the efi diet helped my stomach cramping but not the d.So I tried slippery elm and within two days it was gone.It was just the boost I needed to help me recover.As I cut out fat the d gets to be less often too.Since I have no gallbladder,I have a problem digesting fat and therefore I get d.It's a vicious cycle.So I've been doing really well with a combo of three things,1 the diet 2 slippery elm and 3 the hypno tapes.
If you consider the amount of extra time it takes you to get to work,the amount you spend on Imodium and other drugs,and the amount you lose on sick days,the cost of the tapes really isn't that much.I just took the plunge and bought them.It really is helping me and today is the first time in about 10 months I went shopping all day and 1 hour away.That is such an amazing thing for me and I think it is the tapes helping.
I hope this helps and you can find what works for you too.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#336357 - 09/22/08 08:21 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

If taking 1, 2, or 3 imodium tablets each day gets you through the day okay ... there's nothing wrong with that.

Have you been staying on the ibs diet? Have you read Heather's books?

When I feel bad white rice and chicken is what works for me ... but I still have a bottle of imodium around so when I feel those rumblings in my gut I take 1 or 2, and survive the day.

If taking imodium makes you feel like a freak ... then I'm a freak, too! I guess that means that there are now two freaks running around the planet. Nice to know that I'm not the only one.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#336358 - 09/22/08 09:11 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

If immodium works for you then keep taking it. It isn't addictive and as far as I know you don't build up a tolerance.

If your looking for food alternatives in the UK there's a list on the first section of this forum on the pinned notices.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: How STRANGE: suggestion about acessing the hyno CD new
      #336385 - 09/23/08 09:43 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi

I did a quick internet search and I found the guy who created the hypono CDs website at http://www.ibsregister.com/content/uk_england/?nav=profile_summary&page=2. There's a list of hypno's for IBS practioners on the site so maybe you could start treatment for them via the NHS if you get a referral.

Alternatively you could check with your library to see if they have a copy. They will sometimes order in something for people on request.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Edited by Heather (09/23/08 03:28 PM)

Had to delete this new
      #336422 - 09/23/08 02:36 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm so sorry, but the terms of Michael Mahoney's copyright on the CD program prevent this. Since I carry his products I have to comply with this in every way possible.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Edited by Heather (09/23/08 03:30 PM)

Renee21 ... new
      #336446 - 09/23/08 08:20 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Although Heather had to delete your post it was a very nice gesture on your part.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Renee21 ... new
      #336457 - 09/24/08 06:10 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks - as soon as I posted I realized it probably wasn't going to fly... and Heather's reasons are totally valid.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8078

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review