All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: a question for those who bloat... new
      #354824 - 01/24/10 10:57 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

I am still in the learning process of what exactly triggers my symptoms, but three things FOR SURE give me gas and bloating: sugar, dairy (although I did not test lactose intolerant), and soy milk.

The two most helpful things for me are fennel capsules and baking soda.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#354826 - 01/24/10 11:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Bloating is a sensation of fullness from increased visceral sensation common to IBS. It can be triggered by variety of things including foods, stress or simply the act of eating which stimulates the Gastrocolic Reflex .

One of the goals of Heather's EFI diet (Eating for IBS) is to remove trigger foods which produce IBS symptoms such as bloating.

There is a description of bloating and possible mechanisms in the British Gastroenterology Society's Guidelines on the irritable bowel syndrome: mechanisms and practical management in Section 4.6 on page 1779. Note that is says sufferers typically report a worsening of bloating as the day progresses, particularly after meals, with the symptom usually improving or disappearing overnight. The bloating symptoms you described are common.

All of us are looking for way to manage bloating

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: CarolynC new
      #354885 - 01/26/10 09:54 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

DanaDivine

Candida doesn't cause IBS. That is really bad information on Bee's site about IBS.

Remember IBS is a specific entity, basically of the sigmoid colon.

Gas and bloating are common IBS symptoms.

Part of the problem in IBS are the nerves are hypersensitive in the gut to stimulous and the gas even normal gas creates problems because of transit problems in IBS.

Expert Commentary – Bloating, Distension, and the Irritable Bowel Syndrome

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1681432/?tool=pmcentrez

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Dana new
      #354886 - 01/26/10 09:58 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Let me know how it goes when you start the diet. I haven't done so yet, but have been in touch with Carolyn. She is doing so well. So, send me a post when you start the diet and when you see improvement.

#354887 - 01/26/10 09:59 AM
shawneric

In IBS the act of eating itself can contribute to bloating.

Which is one reason it can happen ten minutes after eating.

It can also be how many times a day you eat.

--------------------

#354888 - 01/26/10 10:06 AM
shawneric

Part of the problem in IBS are the gut nerves are hypersensitive to all stimulous. Its called viceral hypersensitivty.

My own bloating nd distension, which was a big problem most of the 40 years I have had severe IBS, virtually went away with Mike's gut specific hypnotherapy program.

Hypnotherapy has shown to reduce all symptoms of IBS in the majority of people who try it.

This is from a major IBS research center clinil researcher.

Why Consider Hypnosis Treatment for IBS?
by Olafur S. Palsson, Psy.D.

Hypnosis is only one of several approaches to treating irritable bowel syndrome and may not be the most suitable option for all patients (click here for discussion of treatment options for IBS). However, hypnosis treatment has some advantages which makes it an attractive option for many IBS sufferers with chronic and severe symptoms:

- It is one of the most successful treatment approaches for chronic IBS. The response rate to treatment is 80% and better in most published studies to date.

- The treatment often helps individuals who have failed to get improvements with other methods (see for example: Whorwell et al., 1984, 1987; Palsson et al., 1997, 2000).

- It is a uniquely comfortable form of treatment; relaxing, easy and generally enjoyable.

- It utilizes the healing power of the person's own mind, and is generally completely without negative side effects.

- The treatment sometimes results in improvement in other symptoms or problems such as migraine or tension headaches, along with the improvement in IBS symptoms.

- The beneficial effects of the treatment last long after the end of the course of treatment. According to research, individuals who improve from hypnosis treatment for IBS can generally look forward to years of reduced bowel symptoms.

Check out the graph here.

http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSresearch.html

--------------------

ShawnEric new
      #354897 - 01/26/10 11:59 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why do you state that IBS is an 'entity' of the 'sigmoid colon'? All my symptoms are in the ascending and transverse colon. Entity is also a very confusing word - as if IBS is some type of tangible physical matter, not a syndrome.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: ShawnEric new
      #354899 - 01/26/10 12:52 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Like you my discomfort is in the ascending and transverse colon. Shawneric said 'basically of the sigmoid colon'. I suspect he means that this is where the discomfort occurs frequently but not always.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354903 - 01/26/10 03:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Agreed. It isn't as simple as 'I just ate something that made me bloated'. I can eat the same thing for days and be bloated only some of the days. For me, eating very small amounts and reducing calories, being really active, drinking enough and never siting much give the best chance of not being bloated.
Improper food can trigger reactions in the gut but you don't need to eat something improper to be bloated. You can get bloated from being too hungry too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Very true in my personal exerience! - nt - new
      #354905 - 01/26/10 03:27 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45916

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review