All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hurricane Gustav/How to eat for IBS?
      #335503 - 09/02/08 08:11 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I'm here in Baton Rouge at work. We were pummeled by Gustav. We cannot expect electricity for three weeks. I work at a newspaper so that's the only reason they have computers working. No lights though.

The heat is already taking a toll on my tummy. I've been in a lot of pain the last few days between the stress of getting ready for the hurricane/diet. We have canned Chef Boyardee, tuna and peanut butter as our staples. Hopefully in a few days we will have some stores open. I'm living off bottled water/Coke because those are the only options available right now. Any suggestions/advice?

It is all very sad and devestating. The parishes below us are devestated for the most part. I did sustain some damage to my house, but not nearly as much as most people. But, I'm sure we'll all pull together and get everything back to normal eventually. Just wondering how to handle all this with limited food/supplies.

Thanks for listening!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hurricane Gustav/How to eat for IBS? new
      #335505 - 09/02/08 08:43 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hang in there things will get better.Can you get ahold of pretzels? Limit your coke it is a killer
are you a der or cer? tums help me on bad tummy days and imodium on bad bum days.for c I don't know.Eat small amounts as often as you can and hopefully things will get better soon.
Good luck to you

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#335511 - 09/02/08 10:08 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry you got hit with Gustav. I can't imagine going three weeks without electricity especially in Louisiana in early September. (I'm originally from Lower Alabama and I know what that time of the year is like.)

When the stores open, see if you can get hold of some safe cereal (like Rice Chex) and saltines. You can eat the tuna and the peanut butter on the saltines. (I wouldn't do both at the same time but to each his own.) Canned chicken is another option.

Try for some canned fruit, also. Individual packs of applesauce are safe and canned peached in their own juice are probably tolerable. If you're IBS-C, try adding other canned fruits like pears in their own juice.

Just do the best you can for the next few weeks and accept that eating safe is going to be next to impossible. If you're IBS-D, stock up on Imodium if you can. If you're IBS-C, think about something like Miralax if you need it and can get it. And drink lots of water.

Take care. I hope the electricity comes back on much earlier than predicted.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#335513 - 09/02/08 10:36 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I can only imagine what living down there must be like during hurricane season, and than having IBS on top of that! My heart goes out to you! Hang in there! Hopefully the stores will open soon so that you can get some food safe for your tummy! You said you have tuna, if it's in water than it's usually safe for IBS. Hopefully you have access to bread for sandwiches.
(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#335621 - 09/04/08 06:00 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Wendy, How are you doing?? I live in Houston and just before Gustav hit (we don't trust hurricanes to do as predicted) my husband bought a generator and a small air conditioner for the bedroom on the theory that my belly would never be able to stand 3 weeks without power. I really feel for you. My hurricane food that I have stored consists of canned tuna, lots of rice and pasta (I cook with natural gas and have a Coleman Stove if all else fails), canned chicken, canned salmon (for patties), rice milk (individual containers), canned applesauce, canned peaches and lots of safe organic baked chips, rice crackers and cookies. Let us hear from you!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#335637 - 09/04/08 10:01 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. This morning, three days after the hurricane, we suddenly have no running water. This appears to be an isolated case in the small town I live in near Baton Rouge.

As far as food, unfortunately I've been having to live off vienna sausages and cookies. Stores are slowly starting to open, but good IBS staples are long gone. My stomach has been doing ok considering. But, I'm starting to get D, normally I'm C. So I think it's the heat/stress/diet that are causing it. Apparently it takes three gallons of water to flush a toilet.

My only solace is work. I'm very grateful to have a place to be in A/C and to have a flushable toilet. They are still saying it could be three weeks before we have power. We are trying to get a hold of proper authorities to get the water situation resolved. It's unexcusable and is a real health hazard. We can send people to the moon, but we can't get water/electricity functioning properly. Sorry for the vent.
I will keep you updated.

#335664 - 09/04/08 11:46 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Wendy -
I live in Northwest Florida on the Gulf Coast, so I'm with you girlfriend, but y'all have had more than your share. Most of us here even said "it's our turn instead of LA."...But, I concur with all the others have said about what to eat. When I start preparing for an upcoming hurricane, I try to stock things like they mentioned - even though we usually end up leaving town (we live close to the bay)... But, especially watch the water. Someone like the National Guard or Salvation Army should be there with fresh bottles of water. I wish I could send you a care package!!! Can you drive to a nearby town that might have a store with supplies? {{Hugs}} and prayers for the water and everything to be restored quickly! The heat is what does it for me - just can't tolerate it! - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2414

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review