All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hapamama
      #335373 - 08/28/08 04:03 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

So I found myself staring at the frozen veggies in the grocery store last night and I started thinking that maybe they would be easier for me to digest than fresh because the water content always make them so soft. Then I remembered what you were saying about your son and the frozen blueberries and the whole thing started to really make sense to me!

Do you find the same to be true for fresh vs. frozen veggies?

Obviously, I still don't think I'll be able to handle corn, whether it is on the cob, from a can, or frozen. But I picked up a mushroom mix and a stir-fry mix to try...

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It makes sense! new
      #335383 - 08/28/08 12:21 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

Hey Fen! You know it makes a lot of sense. I have never tried frozen veggies, because my dear boy also has texture issues and can't stand any strings or lumps or anything in his veggies. So we use purees, i.e. pureed sweet potatoes, squash, carrots etc... or soups - he loves squash soup, but it has to be really creamy. We are VERY challenged w/green veggies. It bums me out because as a little guy he ate hummus and broccoli, veggie soup anything I would give him, so I'm hoping he improves.

But I digress! I think the frozen veggies are worth a try and I think it's good to stick w/SF at first. Don't rule out purees though, I find we can all eat just about anything if it's broken down rather than whole.

I'll keep my fingers crosse, let me know how it works!

Fen new
      #335386 - 08/28/08 02:32 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Have you tried creamed corn I puree this and then mix it in my rice or mash poatoes just a little bit and so far so good. ps theres no cream in cream corn! thought I would share.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: It makes sense! new
      #335387 - 08/28/08 02:33 PM
emmasmom

Can I have your recipe for squash soup? thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#335388 - 08/28/08 03:15 PM
Fen

Hapamama - I know this is very much a cliche, and you must hear this a lot, but maybe your son will outgrow some of these behaviors? Not in the sense that toddlers outgrow their terrible twos, but maybe as he grows and matures and receives the educational, medical, and behavioral interventions he needs, some of these things will get better? My heart goes out to you, I can't even imagine how difficult it must be...

Emmasmom, I have never tried creamed corn because I never liked the idea of it. However, I love the taste of corn and it's one of the veggies I really miss. Maybe I'll give it a try! My hubby HATES canned veggies, so I'll have to eat the whole can myself!! Thanks for the tip!

--------------------
IBS-C

update new
      #335397 - 08/29/08 04:22 AM
Fen

So far so good on the frozen mushrooms. Maybe I'll be more daring and try the stir-fry mix tonight! There is a bit of broccoli in there, but I just think the freezing/thawing/cooking process breaks it down so much better than cooking fresh!

I may pick up some creamed corn this weekend too!

In other news, my husband was actually questioning me last night - his concern is that frozen veggies are more expensive. My reply was A. frozen veggies are only more expensive when you can get something local and in season, like when local corn is 4 ears for $1 and B. WHY DOES IT MATTER?!? If this is the only way I can eat veggies, this is the only way I can eat veggies! Even if it costs a little more, in my mind, that's better than either eating fresh and suffering or not eating them at all!!

Non-sufferers really just don't understand...

--------------------
IBS-C

Creamed corn new
      #335404 - 08/29/08 06:22 AM
emmasmom

It taste sweet. I like it its not as good as regular corn with some butter but right know I'll take what I can get! Good luck!
emmamsom
ibs-c gas

Everyone has something you know.... new
      #335422 - 08/29/08 01:13 PM
Hapamama

Quote:

Hapamama - I know this is very much a cliche, and you must hear this a lot, but maybe your son will outgrow some of these behaviors? Not in the sense that toddlers outgrow their terrible twos, but maybe as he grows and matures and receives the educational, medical, and behavioral interventions he needs, some of these things will get better? My heart goes out to you, I can't even imagine how difficult it must be...

Thanks Fen! You're a sweetie. It is a struggle at times. But you know, we're so lucky! I took DS to Children's Hospital here in Seattle the other day for a hearing test (he passed w/flying colors, so it's truely a developmental issue and not one w/hearing) - it's a great facility so I feel blessed to have access to it - but here's the thing...
I saw so many kids that day who were clearly in much more dire straights than my boy - whatever it is that we're working with, we can overcome as a family. Every child has something to challenge him/her - this is a pain in my behind sometimes, don't get me wrong - and I do get angry - but it will be okay - you know the food stuff doesn't even bother me because I've been doing it so long for myself (Funny how God gets you ready for stuff isn't it?) - I just do it. It's more trying to communicate and understand what he needs and help him make sense of the world that is difficult, but we're making progress so it's all good!

I do think you're right though, I think he will outgrow some of these things. He ate everything in sight for a long time, so some of it just may be the usual control issues kids get at this age around food. SOme kids w/no developmental issues won't eat certain kinds of foods, or certain colors for a long time, so my bet is you're right that he will expand his pallette again one of these days. He already loves to cook so I suspect that will be a help!

Thanks again for your insight and sensitivity - I really appreciate your kindness - it has been a difficult summer w/coming to terms w/DS's behaviors and then my mother passed away recently. Even a small gesture means so much right now!

#335423 - 08/29/08 01:15 PM
Hapamama

Quote:

Can I have your recipe for squash soup? thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Yes, here it is...
Get in your car, drive to the store and purchase squash soup. Go home, pour it out and serve!
Sorry Sheila, I couldn't resist! I know squash soup can be made at home but I have not had time to research it, plus DS tends to get fixed on one certain brand and it makes experimenting frustrating for mama, so once I find what works, I stick w/it!

Re: update new
      #335424 - 08/29/08 01:20 PM
Hapamama

Quote:

but I just think the freezing/thawing/cooking process breaks it down so much better than cooking fresh!

In other news, my husband was actually questioning me last night - his concern is that frozen veggies are more expensive. My reply was A. frozen veggies are only more expensive when you can get something local and in season, like when local corn is 4 ears for $1 and B. WHY DOES IT MATTER?!? If this is the only way I can eat veggies, this is the only way I can eat veggies! Even if it costs a little more, in my mind, that's better than either eating fresh and suffering or not eating them at all!!

Non-sufferers really just don't understand...

I think you're right about the broccolli breaking down too much, but my kids really like/liked it

Regarding the pros of frozen veggies, let hubby know that frozen veggies are frozen as soon as they are picked and therefore retain more of the nutrients than fresh because they do not sit around on trucks waiting to get to you... I was so surprised to find that out and then started reading the nutrional info on the pacakages - frozen veggies are packed w/vitis and good things! Way better than canned of course and better than fresh! Who knew?

Re: update new
      #335432 - 08/29/08 05:53 PM
Fen

Ha ha - I did actually make that part of my argument, and he already knew! I think from reading Men's Health. I'm eating the stir fry mix with the broccoli right now, so we'll see!! It seems softer to me than fresh (unless you boil the crap out of fresh, which I hate!). My thinking is that if it feels softer in my mouth, it has to go down the intestines easier too, right?!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Everyone has something you know.... new
      #335433 - 08/29/08 05:55 PM
Fen

You're so right - I was just saying to a girlfriend at lunch today that I don't think anybody can ever judge anyone else - because you don't know what their situation is and everybody is going through some kind of trial. Outward appearances are completely deceiving.

I forgot - how old is your son? Is he school age yet?

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Everyone has something you know.... new
      #335435 - 08/29/08 06:27 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Hapamama -
You seem like such a solid, stable, person - a good heart and attitude, God must really smile down at you! Since I haven't been around - that long - although I do talk alot - if you don't mind, bring me up-to-date...
How many children do you have? How old is your son? You mention developmental challenges - do you mind me asking if there is something in particular - a diagnosis? I'm sorry if I sound nosey - if you think so, please feel free not to reply. I just love kids and have worked with mentally, physically, developmentally, socially, educationally (word???) students for so many years with just about every issue you can imagine, so I'm interested and I care.
But, I can tell you've certainly got the right attitude and when "Mama" does, the child will too... {{Hugs}} for being such a great mother - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review