All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SALAD?? ANYONE EAT WITHOUT DISTRESS
      #335268 - 08/25/08 06:20 PM
PITA

Reged: 01/04/04

I follow all the rules and still- unless I only eat cooked veggies - and eliminate any onions, garlic, wheat, cheese or any dairy- I still get gassy and uncomfortable. the only time I am comfortable is after breakfast- eggwhite omelette, fruit , and muffin. Breakfast is the only meal that is good for me- so does that mean that veggies are out( the worse offenders are broccoli and carrots . Even though I eat soluble fiber w/ veggies- it doesn't help.
So- I guess I am asking- does anyone else have similar problems- or have any ideas for me. I dread eating- that is any other meal other than breakfast,
Thanks-
Pita

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SALAD?? ANYONE EAT WITHOUT DISTRESS new
      #335272 - 08/26/08 04:04 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I too am usually ok with breakfast and get worse as the day goes on. One thing I've noticed is that my breakfast usually tends to be fat free (or very very low fat) - I usually eat cornflakes with blueberries and almond milk. As the day goes on, more fat sneaks into my diet - chicken has some fat, avocado, veggies sauteed in a tiny bit of oil, cookies that have a few grams of fat, etc. I've realized I'm pretty sensitive to even a small amount of fat, so I'm trying to keep packaged products under 3 grams of fat per serving, and not adding any fat when I cook - I've been using broth instead of oil to sautee veggies. This way, if I eat a muffin or something with a little oil in it, hopefully it won't set me over the edge.

I have to stay below my threshold, you know?

Hope that helps a bit!

--------------------
IBS-C

#335295 - 08/26/08 04:26 PM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

I can eat a very small salad, with just a little lettuce, but with cucumbers, tomoatoes, radishes, etc.

I only eat it if I have had a good SF base and at the very end of the meal. I started by eating literally one slice of cucumber (english peeled cucumber), and everytime just added another slice, or a slice of tomato, etc. I only use the wishbone spray dressing - balsamic vinegar.

A few times I got a little brave with the lettuce or the size of the salad but it ended in disasster. The salad is so small in comparision to what I used to eat, but it is enough to satisfy my "want" and not too much to cause any issues.

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

#335304 - 08/26/08 09:32 PM
Jlyne327

Reged: 08/24/08
Loc: CT

I've run into this problem several times too. The trick for me is to eat small portions of salad with a soluble fiber.

#335329 - 08/27/08 01:00 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not sure what kind of distress you mean - I don't get D but certain veggies give me crazy gas. That being said, I eat a salad every day for lunch - I just make sure it contains safe vegs and some soluble fibre, so it's usually baby spinach/mixed greens with mushrooms or mini new potatoes, grape cherry tomatoes, maybe a little avocado or sprouts or pinenuts or capers, and tuna or chicken. And I make my own balsamic vinaigrette because many of the store brands contain raw garlic and/or onion which also bother me.

best of luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#335330 - 08/27/08 01:04 PM
cooking4six

Reged: 08/19/08
Loc: Southwest, US

I have trouble with salad too. Even in small amounts. So, if I toss a salad for diner I just serve myself some sliced and salted tomatoes.
I'm okay to have lettuce and tomato in a sandwich that's bread heavy but cucumbers, broccoli, radish... they'd kill me!
Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review